(Windows) Ignore DLL's that are no VST plugins

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Reefius, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

With a lot of Izotope plugins installed (I got a great upgrade price to Music Production Suite 3 recently), it takes quite a long time to start my Maschine and Komplete Kontrol software. This is because every Izotope plugin consists of 2 DLL's, while only one of them is actually a VST.
    But Maschine and Komplete Kontrol always try to scan the second DLL on every startup and this drastically increases startup time.

Right now it takes over 50 seconds to start Maschine software, which is driving me nuts! :mad:

All DAW's I know keep a list of files they don't recognize so they are ignored at the next startup. Maschine definitely needs this too.

I would already be happy if I could just put a text file somewhere containing all filenames that Maschine and KK should ignore at startup.

• Like Like x 1
  2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

I support this suggestion.

it's funny how different DAWs can be regarding startup speed. nothing beats FL Studio in this regard. no plugin scanning on startup...just click and voila, 2 seconds later you are ready to go...don't know how they do it.

on a side note: 50 seconds of waiting driving me nuts too today.
    remember the (amiga) days, where you'd spend about 1 hour only to start a game. remember this? "insert disc 4/12"....4 minutes later..."insert disc 5/12"....a free day was over pretty fast that way...

aa memories ;-)

3. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

Yes, FL Studio does no plugin scan at startup, but this also means you need to scan manually every time you installed a new plugin. Maybe Maschine should have this option too, so we can scan for new plugins only when it's needed.

I found a workaround on Windows: I renamed the ScanPluginsApp_x64.exe file to ScanPluginsApp_x64.bak in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Maschine 2 to disable the plugin scan.
    The downside is that if I install any new plugins, I need to rename this file back to ScanPluginsApp_x64.exe to be able to scan for the new plugins and then rename it back to ScanPluginsApp_x64.bak to disable the scan again.

Now Maschine is ready to play in 5 seconds! :D

Edit: I created this batch file to easily toggle the scan app between .exe and .bak:
    Code:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Maschine 2"
    if exist ScanPluginsApp_x64.exe (
    ren ScanPluginsApp_x64.exe ScanPluginsApp_x64.bak
    ) else (
    ren ScanPluginsApp_x64.bak ScanPluginsApp_x64.exe
    )
    Then made a shortcut to this batch file on my desktop and set this shortcut to always run as admin (this is needed to be able to rename anything under Program Files).

Works like a charm! :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019