Would like to be able to enter exact tempo BPM for playback

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by kiteon, Nov 17, 2012.

1. kiteon

kiteon NI Product Owner

You can't enter the BPM manually, only the slider which does not seem to be able to play very small incremental values.

example application:
    re-tuning a wav file to a exactly rounded BPM figure, eg 120.51 -> 121.00.

Not possible, one can only get somewhat close, 120.95, 121.03, etc.

2. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

Go into the grid portion of the full deck layout. I can enter exact if I double-click on the #'s. To be honest tho, I always prefer to inspect/correct the alignment of the transients. Tracks are not always completely even bpm's, although it's not gonna make much of a difference.

3. kiteon

kiteon NI Product Owner

I see what your saying. I think you misunderstood me though.

What I want to enter is the playback BPM's, not the source BPMs.

cheers

4. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

^^^ This. Or:
    Sync both decks to Master clock, and set the Master clock to whatever BPM you want your set to be at.

6. kiteon

kiteon NI Product Owner

7. Double0

Double0 New Member

Dont understand why there is not an option to make the pitch more sensitive anyway :|

8. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

there is

9. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

Hey, could you please telle what is it to to make the pitch more sensitive. for exemple to jump by 0.1?

Thanks a lot!

10. for all those

for all those Member

double click on the bpm to enter it manually, just load up the other track and press sync

11. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

So I am obliged to use SYNC, it's crazy and weird! Why it's not precise? It's not complicated to install the tempo range at 1%....
    Then if I need during the gig enter manually each BPM, it's the mess...
    thanks for your replies.

12. for all those

for all those Member

sync is precise and will match the .000 float values, using a slider is custom to the sensitivity of the hardware control, and whatever the range is been divided either side for the midi 127

you have small sliders, you have big sliders, they will be set to the same midi values

you can change the sensitivity for the tempo slider in the mapping,

13. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

Few things colud be happening here....

If using external hardware make sure your bpm range is suited to the size of the slider. Eg using a 40mm slider for a range of 30% will make crazy large increments and a 100mm slider with a 6% range will have smaller increments etc etc...

If using the slider within traktor just cut the crap and hit sync. Hec you've made it this far to go digital why not use sync.

If using timecode vinyl allow for wow and flutter making the bpm to fluctuate small decimal points. Timecode cd is tighter but I dont see the point of cd tc as you can just burn your tracks to cd or flash sticks and use all the cdj functions correctly.

Set the bpm exact via the master clock found under the metronome tab in the first fx unit section. Type your desired bpm and select master then sync on both decks. That way your mixes and effects will stay locked until you hit that pitch slider manually again.

14. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

Thanks a lot guys :). I am using external mixer. I do not use SYNC because if I want to increase or decrease the pitch while the music is playing I can not (it's stuck). I need to go till the bottom or the top (depends where the pitch is) to deactivate the SYNC mode (even if I push back SYNC) and I can certainly not dot it. This is the reason why I do not want to use SYNC.
    Then , how can I set all BPM during a gig as if we have time to take care of that and to set/type/etc the BPM! It's still unbelievable that Native Instrument did not fix this problem. It should be the same that USB or CD. I can put the BPB how I want! So I am going to set the range at 2% and "play with jog" every time....

15. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

Is it a midi or standard analogue mixer?

Are you using a mouse to operate traktors pitch??

If i understand correctly unless you have OCD I really wouldn't worry about setting the exact bpm to be say 125.00 if it's not being sync'd up. It's just on the screen for reference point. If your playing to a crowd they would have no idea what the bpm is and if you'd slow the tempo of the next track just stop until it sounds natural. Don't look at the screens bpms read out if your playing different tempos during a gig. Just go with the flow and I bet your set will be more fluid than a ridged robot.

Try a dummy test run and remove all the bpm fields in the traktor decks and see how it goes before a set.

16. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

thanks!
    I use Pioneer XDJ RX, XDJ R1 and the last weekend CDJ-850 (all same problem) BUT not on CDJ 200 NXS (it's perfect on it). I totally agree with you to not be focus on the screen and to play with the flow. The thing is that if I SYNC I am fucked because I can not decrease or decrease the BPM (it's stuck) and if I play without SYNC and let's say I set my range tempo at 2% I will got a difference for ex: turntable A 128 BPM turntable B 130 BPM then it will not run well (and will need to push/back the jog every time). Furthermore I am obliged to set the range tempo at 2% which is not really convenient.

17. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

cdj 2000 nxs

18. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

Hmm... they should be fine being high end models or it could be a glitch on your system.

Sorry I can't suggest anymore without looking at your configuration set up directly.

19. Baudouin

Baudouin New Member

A glitch? aie aie really ! It looks like all guys got this "kind of issue"! I got a normal configuration I guess. What do you want me to check out? maybe you can help me out ;)
    But I got all the TSI from pioneer website and my traktor is really fine 2.8.1 (maverick).
    Then, it's true that it s really weird and pissed me off but all guys told me that it's "normal".

20. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

I can't help being a non maverick user. I use Microsoft Windows and the S8 (now 2.9 yay) with timecode vinyl.

As I don't own any kit you use I can only speak about traktor softwares user side.

If it's perfect with the nexus 2000 but not xdj series or cdj850 then it must be a hardware issue.

Do these need a driver installed? Is it upto date?? Is there conflicts with other drivers in your system.

Or its just different pitch slider parts being used than in the nexus and not being a high resolution!!!