1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

X-Session Pro & Traktor 3

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by DoJ, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johansfa

Johansfa Forum Member

what do you think is better - the x-session evolution or x-session pro?

2. djk-tel

djk-tel NI Product Owner

without a doubt the Pro

K-Tel

Search the iTunes music store for my advanced podcast "As Seen On TV"

3. tamlyn

tamlyn New Member

I just got an x-session pro today. I plug it in and windows xp recognises it but it doesn't show up in the 'Midi interfaces' panel in traktor and I can't get midi learn to work at all. I tried djk-tel's tks but that doesn't help either. :(

I wanna play!

Anyone have any ideas? Is there some way I can test if midi signals are being received at all? Thanks.

4. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

make sure it's plugged in and turned on before you start Traktor - it should then show up in the Midi devices in Traktor preferences

5. tamlyn

tamlyn New Member

Been on the phone to m-audio and they reckon it's faulty. boo :(

6. djk-tel

djk-tel NI Product Owner

have heard some other things where there are issues with Macbook Pro and midi dropping out.

7. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

I find the 127 midi increments completely inadequate for tuning the pitch/key which means I end up having to use my mouse to get the fine control :(

8. tamlyn

tamlyn New Member

Well, after arranging to return it to the shop (bought it online) i decided to try it in a third pc *just in case* and waddayaknow - it worked!

Which is good in a sense cos I won't have to go through the hassle of returning it but bad in another because I *will* have to go through the hassle of finding out what's wrong...

The only obvious difference between the two pcs on which it doesn't work and the one on which it does is that the one that works has XP Home and the others have XP Pro. Also the one that works doesn't have traktor installed but it's old and it isn't mine so I don't want to install it and risk messing things up. I've been doing the testing with MIDI-OX.

Can anyone help me please?!

9. tamlyn

tamlyn New Member

10. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

why not assign the pitch/key to a smaller sensitivity? like fine or min instead of default...?

11. rocdollar

Because unfortunately those settings do not seem to effect how the dial moves when controlled by MIDI - only with the mouse. Unless I am missing something...

12. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

on my hercules, i have chosen *min* for the tempo knob.
    in the prefs i have chosen rotary 3fh41h
    rotary sensitivity and acceleration set to 0.

and my tempo knob moves in somewhat smaller than 0.01 steps.

13. rocdollar

Would this apply to the Key rotary also? What is 3fh41h and how does it relate to the 'min' setting?

The problem I have is the 127 midi increments are not sufficient for the full 2 octave range (-12 to +12 - maybe because I am not configuring it properly). If I could limit the 127 increments to a range of say 6 semitones instead of 24 it would help a lot as I would get finer control.

14. blksky

blksky NI Product Owner

Need a bit of help on this unit before I go and order (XSession Pro). I would like to know how are you guys adjusting the Pitch bend? Hot keys, or is there something programable on the XPro that will do the trick. Im having to constantly adjust for the drift. Or will beatgriding solve that issue? If so, who has the best beatgridding instructions on a thread? I wouldnt want to waste my time doing it the wrong way. I have a Macbook Pro, Firewire410, will i need anything else to hook up the controller? Im trying to achieve the old school feel of interaction with hardware but without having to lug around my technics. Any suggestions would be awesome.

15. djk-tel

djk-tel NI Product Owner

I'm running Macbook Pro. T3.2, 410 and X-session pro.
    And I love it.

Search the forums I've already posted up a .TKS file so you can
    get started right away using the X-session pro.

If you get your Beat gridding done, you won't have to worry about drift too much....you will need to nudge (which I've set that up on the X-session)...

Do some more research in this forum.
    It's all there.

YEs beat gridding takes some time, but once it's done,
    you'll be thrilled with the effort you put into it!

K-Tel

Subscribe to my Advanced Podcast here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=206179383

16. drewo

drewo NI Product Owner

How do I use the .tks file?

My mac doesn't seem to recognize the file type. I'm having some issues getting my x-session pro to integrate in any way to Traktor 3.2, and this is my first midi interface i'm trying to use with traktor.

M-audio told me to use enigma to set up the x-session, but it didn't seem to help.

17. djk-tel

djk-tel NI Product Owner

Look in your preferences MIDI set up .
    There should be a place to load the .tks file

Tell M-Audio they are F-n-idiots...
    The enigma will see the X-session Pro but it won't allow you
    to edit anything on it, so how they hell is that gonna help you????

Read all the listings in the thread...it's all there.

18. blksky

blksky NI Product Owner

Thanks djk-tel
    that tks file saved me tons of programming. No I can venture off into modifying some knobs and stuff. I love the way you set up the pitch bend and the EQ. Simple and to the point. Now I need to start beatgriding tonight. I have my first Traktor gig next Saturday. I will be making my lineups and practicing with the XSPro.
    THANKS AGAIN. After using the XSPro, I dont think ill ever go back to using the mouse for many common functions.

19. rocdollar

Just for completeness sake thought I would just let people know my solution to this... use the SHIFT key to get a finer control :S

Totally forgot about this feature...

20. drewo

drewo NI Product Owner

Thanks so much, k-tel! Works awesome. It's great not to be limited to mouse control...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.