Your favourite synth vst...

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Supercreative, May 19, 2014.

1. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Hi @ all,
    Whats your favourite synth vst and why?
    Nexus, Virus Ti2, Massive, Absynth,....
    I'm interested how do you Choose it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

easy now u think u gonna trick us into giving up our secret vst software that easy , hahahhahaha

just kiding i think most of these vsts is trash and over hyped from a hip hop perspective u dance/edm/techno guys im sure are more than happy with the selections thats out there.

but i think kontakt with the appropriate libraries is the best thing out period sound-wise.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

sorry, but we need to clarify something here.

Kontakt is not a 'Synth' it is a sampler. yes it has 'synth' patches but they use samples.

sowari

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jordan Turner

Jordan Turner Active Member

My favorites are a Massive, Razor, Monark, Reaktor synths, and FM8. Pretty much everything in Komplete 9 Ultimate. Ha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. sowari

but why are they your favourites?

sowari

6. Supercreative

MUAHA... understood your joke... :cool::cool::cool:
    Of course the most of the pro´s will work with Hardware and yes there are many VST´s out there.
    But I think everybody`s secret is a little synth-VST for playing and creating nice sound.

And for use of it, it depends on the kind of sound that you want to create... isn`t it? ;)

7. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

To be honest my favorite synth is the Magical 8-bit plugin. I have no idea why but I use that thing everywhere and I don't even do chiptune stuff. I think it's because it's a very simple straightforward synth that let's me add effects and stuff without having to go through like five menus. So that's my secret sauce.

I keep my synth slection simple. I stick with what i know. Massive, Razor, and Diva for everything else, oh and reaktor.

8. Jordan Turner

Jordan Turner Active Member

Well first of all, they all have some amazing presets and it's really easy to find a sound similar to what I'm looking for. Second, they all have such an easy interface to learn. I learned synthesis from Massive and everything else has been so easy to learn. Third, the power and capabilities of these synths are just amazing. It's so easy to come up with amazing sounds when I'm sound designing. If I had to pick one it would be FM8 because of the sound I can create with it. I love FM synthesis now that I've dug deep into it's capabilities. It's hard to name everything I like about each synth.

9. Supercreative

Found your little secret here:
    http://www.ymck.net/en/download/magical8bitplug/
    o_O sorry for that.

Awesome "super mario" feeling... NICE

10. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

11. sowari

those are very good reasons why you like them - i agree :thumbsup:

sowari

• Like Like x 1
  12. sowari

one of my favourites is AIR Music Technology's Vacuum Pro. I bought because they were doing a deal a few months ago - $49.00 - and for that price it has been a bargain.

it is very easy to get big analogue sounds as you have a Quad Oscillator mode for each of the two oscillators. the design is a classic analogue design and it is just easy to get huge warm sounds. and i can use it in Pro Tools, Logic X, Ableton Live and Maschine.

sowari

• Like Like x 1
  13. skinsfandc

skinsfandc Forum Member

Never heard of Vaccum Pro. I know it's not a synth, but if you guys get the chance check out tronsonic and 8 Dio. They make excellent stuff for Kontakt.

14. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

my go-to vst synths are sylenth1 and massive. they sound great and perform like champs.
    runner ups are diva and alchemy. overall diva is my favorite but omg it is such a CPU hog!!

15. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

I also like Sylenth and Massive; old but still bold. Have to mention Halion Sonic 2, it is like a mini version of Komplete but in a more manageable package. It includes synth and sample engines, great FX and both a beat and a slice sequencer. It is 16 part multitimbral and parts can comprise of up to 4 layers. Each layer can be synth, sample, beat or slice based and can have its own FX chain, arppegiator and step modulator. A lot of power which is easily accessible and I like things to be easy.

16. 33tetragammon

33tetragammon NI Product Owner

My all-time favourite is Absynth:

Insanely flexible modulation (can you say envelopes?) that just inspires me even when i think about it. That makes it a very expressive instrument.
    I can create the most wonderful and crazy sounds from scratch out of it. I refuse to acknowledge that it's only good for pads/soundscapes as quite a few people believe. It can do anything you want it to. Just be prepared to WORK for it, and dive in deep.
    The deepness of Absynth is what ultimately inspires and intimidates me at the same time. If you have problems with keeping a structured workflow when you need to get stuff done, then this might not be the thing you're looking for right now. Unless you're experimenting of course, and most of the time this is how i approach Absynth.....
    That very same deepness is what i couldn't find anywhere else in a plugin instrument yet. I've tried and owned other instruments like Alchemy and Zebra, but they were almost "too simple" to use.

Hardware is a different story, but for the sake of keeping things on topic i'm not going to elaborate on that.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  17. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I really like Spire and ANA because they sound very analog ;)

18. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

i recall the korg legacy bunch being decent

absynth i recall being very cold and etheral sounding

I lean towards synths that sound like the warmth u might expect on a late 60's early 70's soul or jazz record or some king crimson album

19. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

This is the silliest thing i have heard in along long time, of course it is a synth, it is a synth with sample based oscillators, but wait you like Vacuum pro and it has tube circuit modelling, but they are not tubes and there is no vacuum involved......see how stupid that actually is ;)
    A synth is a synth if it has synth parameters, and Kontakt went way beyond being a sampler a long long time ago.

Oh and if you do feel the need to reply to this with some other smart reply, keep in mind that Kontakt doesn't sample, so it's not by the very tight definitions you decided to use a sampler at all, it is a sample playback device.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. sowari

:p :rolleyes:

well it is listed under NI Products as a Sampler but then Battery 4 is listed under Synths and Samplers :oops:

in my world a synth is something that 'electronically' generates sound. i concede that the meaning becomes blurred with something like a Roland D50 - which used synthesis and sampling - but without the use of samples, Kontakt could not generate any sound.

as far as i am concerned this is not a smart enough reply, so sorry about that.

sowari