Your favourite synth vst...

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Supercreative, May 19, 2014.

1. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Actually the reply was much smarter than the original remark, agreed it is a very blurred line and Kontakt is definitely on the Synth side of the blur, while i do agree to some extent that 'electronically' generates sound is somewhat true, the fact that you can mangle stuff beyond anything close to its original form in Kontakt puts it heavily into the S+S world, Maschines sample engine, now that is what i would term a sampler (Which i actually prefer to Kontakt too, to most extents, simply because of its sample it/loop it/f*ck it/eat it approach)

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

don't forget the Drum Synths in Maschine.

sowari

3. sowari

anyway, back to the subject.

i really like U-he's Ace - not only because of its flexibility but also because it does come with a great library. sometimes you need to find a great sound quickly and not spend a lot of time hunting through uninspiring presets, and Ace has some great sounds demanding to be used.

sowari

4. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Yeah thats why i said sample engine, not synth engine ;)
    Basically they are different plug ins

5. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Massive for me personally, extremely foul sounding, brilliant

6. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

massive does sound good im just more of a sample head but far as having a clean cut interface and versatile sound massive is great

7. JokeY1993

JokeY1993 NI Product Owner

My favorites: Razor & Massive

I just love the semi-modular concept. Makes me able to assign almost everything to almost everywhere and create the hell of a sound :)
    Like Razor a little more, I think it's easier to understand and to work with because of the immense visual feedback you get. (LFO/ENV adjustmens)

8. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Thank`s for your "little secrets". :p
    Got it all... :cool:
    I like MASSIVE... for me its easy to figure out how to work with it.
    Now I will try to get some cool results with the "magical 8-bit plugin".
    EXTRA-FUNNY!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go ahed with your favourites!

9. forestcaver

forestcaver NI Product Owner

I love Absynth and Razor. The reason shows my newbieness and is simply that I love the preset sounds and find them inspiring to twiddle with and use....

10. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I don't consider Kontakt a synth. Being able to mangle samples is what a sampler is supposed to do. That's nothing new for a sampler regardless of how rudimentary or complex you want to get with it. i can mangle samples in ESX24 and Sampler in Live, or even Maschine, it still requires a sample. There are synths that use samples to synthesize sounds, like grain synthesizers or wavetable synthesizers (like Massive) but imo Kontakt is not a synth as it doesn't have a synth engine all it does is playback samples at it's core.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nightlightscruize

nightlightscruize Active Member

I like Razor because it just sounds crisp n modern

TyrellN6 ,Oddity n Imposcar for their warmth. with the right processing they sound almost analogue.

12. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

What criteria should we use to determine whether something sounds analogue?

• Like Like x 1
  13. nightlightscruize

nightlightscruize Active Member

Depth, warmth and 'rawness'. analogue is not the best word choice i guess. but its just how I felt with these plug-ins when comparing them with hardware analog synths

14. rudynicoletti

rudynicoletti NI Product Owner

Anyone experienced "Monark"? What's it like? and its sound?

15. sowari

it is my favourite Moog Model D emulation and sounds like a Moog Model D mono synth.

sowari

• Like Like x 1
  16. jiggle

jiggle Forum Member

I like monark, although I tend to use it to make the same baseline sound every time :)

It's an easy synth to get to grips with, I don't know it inside out but you can quickly get roughly the sound you where after (as long as it's that thumping bass sound I like )

Also razor, sounds very electronic, it's a monster synth

Some ipad synths are my favourite, best bang for the buck by a mile. Knave, thor, artic pro synth
    All very capable usable nice sounding synths. The ios synths are quicker / easier to play with

17. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I know this is about VSTs but I just bought a Microbrute and its pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SCARYMAN

SCARYMAN Forum Member

Razor for basses, well tweakable and easy to use, Alchemy for synths and strings/pads...... Korg Legacy for organs/pianos......

19. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

zebra 2 is my all time fave. Its easy and fun to program and is very versatile. The osc FX that it has, means it can make some very diverse sounds.

alchemy is my 2nd favourite, but I use it more as a sampler then as synth really.

20. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

You need to bear in mind that, like the original, Monark is not velocity sensitive. You may, or may not, find this annoying.