Your favourite synth vst...

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Supercreative, May 19, 2014.

1. blkarmphoenix

blkarmphoenix New Member

I am a huge fan of using Reaktor with Prism. I love the bell/ethereal sounds you can get out of it.

2. JokeY1993

JokeY1993 NI Product Owner

Really like monarks sound, though I did not create so many sounds on my own until now.
    This synth is truely capable of delivering a vibrant analog feel

3. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

I use logic so Alchemy is a big one for me. If I had the money I would pay for Nave, love it. I have strobe2 and it is very good as well and they have begun integration with my new preferred devices. Oh and synth or not I love Kontakt player for Kinetic Metal.

Edit to add I enjoy almost all the items that came with Logic but when I bought a Rise I started playing around with equator which is pretty cool itself.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Massive of course it is the most versatile and it sounds great lot of modulation possibilities and also the eco or high quality modes are dope.

Uwe

5. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Lethal by LethalAudio for me.....

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Not to be contrary for the sake of it, but... Even though Lethal Audio describe it as a synthesizer and a synth themselves, Lethal is just a rompler, isn't it?

7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I've been digging Serum lately, its marketed to the EDM crowd but i don't do EDM at all.
    I like it cause its extremely "visual", has a fast workflow for me and getting custom wavetables in there is quite straight forward, i find that i can sound design from scratch a bit faster than with most synths to find a sound that i like. Its advanced without being over complicated.

8. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Ok, for what *I* do, these are my tops:

• AIR Music Technology's Vacuum Pro (JM-NKI) - it has a genuinely analog sound, a cool "smart randomizer" for exploring settings, and very intuitive controls.
    • AIR Music Technology's LOOM (JM-NKI) - an incredible interface to the possibilities Additive synthesis has to offer.
    • Xils-Labs PolyKB III (NKS), Oxium, and Xils-4 (NKS) - each for their depth and incredible possibilities. PolyKB III is extremely warm and mellow, with features I've never seen put together into a single synth. Xils-4 is two Xils-3's (virtual EMS VCS-3) put together. Oxium is very unique and has a great gating system with its arp. Never ending fun!
    • Arturia's Synclavier (NKS) emulation, created with input from one of the original Synclavier developers. Additive meets FM, with "vector synthesis"-like transformations of sounds which are out of this world!
    • Korg Legacy Collection - the Wavestation VSTi (JM-NKI) in particular. The original vector synthesis machine, finally in an easily editable form with all the sounds that ever came with each model, plus all the cards and more. (This entire collection is inspiration on steroids!)
    • Native Instrument's incredible offerings in Komplete 11 (NKS) - the Komplete Kontrol or Maschine browser removing one from "synth myopia" to tasting them based on their excellent tagging system, making the entire collection act like it was a all one "massive", incredibly versatile synth by itself.
    • Maschine (NKS) itself for MORE than only the drum samples. Lots of cool stuff in there! (I do not use drum sounds that much.)

I could write a two or three page review of each of these (and of others not mentioned for brevity!) but try their demos for the best review!

Terry

[EDIT - Added (NKS) for NI's partnered instruments, and (JM-NKI) for Jester Mgee's browser-compatible user instruments available from freelancesound.com, which all work in both the Komplete Kontrol and the Maschine browsers. See post below.]

9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I really like AIR Instruments instruments. Very underrated... If you get the the bundle in NKI format it's really fast (xpand 2, loom etc) browsing from maschine and the komplete kontrol.
    I tend to go more for instruments or libraries that are in nki format. Because it speeds up the process browsing via maschine or komplete kontrol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. skinswashdc

My favorite now is Omnisphere 2.

11. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Spire has been one of my favorites recently. It has a great sound and very intuitive interface. AIR synths are under-rated too. LOOM and Vacuum Pro are great for wispy pad-like sounds. I've also been using Transfuser for drums quite a bit recently. Love its features.

• Like Like x 1
  12. terrybritton

Exactly! I neglected to note that two of my Xils-Labs picks are "native" NKS Partner instruments (PolyKB III and Xils-4), as are all Arturia instruments (including my pick of their "Synclavier") and many more (see link).

Jason at FreelanceSoundLabs.com (our friend, the always-helpful Jester Mgee) gives us AIR's Loom, Vacuum Pro, Hybrid 3, and Xpand!2, the entire Korg Legacy Collection, Omnisphere 2, Sylenth 1, Trillian, Keyscape, the Bob Moog Tribute Library, and TAL-U-NO-XL as NKS Browser compatible libraries, exposing all of their factory presets to the User side of the Komplete Kontrol and Maschine browsers -- making those synths enjoy the "all one massive synth" benefits of the "Partnered" NKS instruments in the User library. He has more coming, I'm sure!

I'm appending my list of favs to show which ones work that way in those browsers. (marking them as NKS and JM-NKI).

Thanks for mentioning that!

Terry

13. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

No you can do your own thing, as has the sound wave source too.

14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Oh man i shouldn't had read this thread... Now i want 10 more new VST's and i really don't want to go in the obcessive i gotta have everything path as its very counter productive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. terrybritton

You're SKWOOOD!
    - Bugs Bunny

Terry

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. skinswashdc

Yeah I purchased mine from Jason. Did a great job with them. Need to get the bob moog and korg legacy versions. No more using a vst in a daw and going from track to track loading a vst the browsing presets etc. Kills the vibe sometimes. I just browse from the NI hardware my presets. Sometimes I don't even look at the screen lol (my S61 keyboard is turned sideways from my computer). I have maschine studio above my komplete kontrol which has made it even faster because I can just look at the maschine studio screen and get busy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Olihop

Olihop NI Product Owner

The sound of Monark !!

18. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

I like Monark a lot, even though I'm using my Monologue (with the external control from within Maschine) a lot for the same stuff nowadays. But it is easy to create something I have in mind, and I like the sound a lot, especially for bass, or for leads going through delays.

19. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...know that one - that's why, while I'm demoing a new synth, I always look if I can recreate a sound, that I like there, with an instrument I already have (+ effect plug-ins - some presets are just the added fx). Of course, it'll always sound a little different (but I made a "new" sound for myself) and sometimes the demo synth sounds better, but almost never convincing or interesting enough to make me buy it. So most of the time I end up using Massive, FM8, Absynth & Monark.

But if I wouldn't have Komplete, I probably would use Serum or Spire, Sytrus & Zebra (& perhaps Diva), so it's good to know to have alternatives, should I need them. :eek:

As honourable mentions I'd like to name Linplug's Spektral and U-he Bazille. Almost bought the latter a couple of times, but when I got into using Blocks, it wasn't that interesting anymore, though I still really, really like Bazille. Generally, I'm still pretty excited about Blocks and how it may evolve. I hope, it'll be able to cover more ground related to my synth needs.

I also like that niche synth approach of the other Reaktor synths - Prism, Kontour & Skanner are really fascinating and they have very good presets, but, unfortunately, I rarely find the time learning them or feel like I want to use them. But the good thing with them might be, that I can be pretty confident, that they'll still work in ten years from now, so I guess, I still have some time getting used to them. :D Rounds is also an amazing synth, but I wish it would have been possible to put a bit more effort into making it accesible via Maschine/KK. Form is a lot of fun and a great tool, but sometimes I'm wondering it could be a bit too much of a one-trick-pony (but maybe I'm using it wrong).

• Like Like x 1
  20. terrybritton

@loachm Oh, hell yeah - all the Linplug synths are fantastic. CRX4, Morphox, Spectral, their vintage stuff. Can't go wrong.

Terry

Last edited: May 8, 2017