1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Z1 - am I the only one missing PLAY buttons?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by djit, Jun 13, 2013.

1. djit

djit New Member

Euh
    I need a small midi controller to use at traveling occasions, together with my macbook and Traktor pro 2.
    is this Z1 a solution? I miss a PLAY button... Or am I too old fashioned not to want to use the mouse to klik PLAY?

Thanks for helping me finding out if I'm wrong
    Gert;)

2. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Well, it's meant to be using in conjunction with something with a play button, or the iPad, but yeah, it has no transport functions.

3. nomac

nomac Forum Member

Just use touch osc (ios) with a cable or mini wifi hub. Put any controls you need on that, it's fully programable and only 5 bucks ( if you already have an iOS device)

Or pair it with the x1. Super compact setup right there.

4. kieranbowley

kieranbowley Forum Member

X1 FTW!

The soft buttons on the iPad would be fine to use but I can see it being a bit fiddly on the iPhone. I regularly miss my in point on the train because I've slightly missed the button. Very easy to do.

But yeah, Laptop + X1 + Z1 FTW!

5. alecman

alecman NI Product Owner

I think it's totally ok that NI didn't include a play button as the z series are mixers and no transport controllers

6. djit

djit New Member

Damn

I had bought a Pioneer Wego to be able to travel light by plain, to have party set (Traktor Pro + macbook + Wego)
    I hoped the Z1 would be an alternative but no. Adding a X1 to the Z1 would be less efficient then the Wego.
    Damn

7. Theo Void

Theo Void NI Product Owner

Yes! My set-up has grown substantially but for awhile I was doing live shows using only an X1. It was super fun too! I actually miss it.
    I would show up w/ a laptop and an x1. So great.
    I used filters to mix instead of volume or x fader. It was so perfect, really.

8. johyde

johyde NI Product Owner

I've got good news and bad new on this..

GOOD news - it does include play/stop buttons! (kind of). If you hold down MODE and the CUE button for the corresponding channel then it will play or pause that deck.

BAD news - it's a bit buggy. Doesn't seem to work at all on the iPad (which is a real shame as that's where I'd most want it). On Traktor Pro it does work, but it still lights up the cue button, which I find a bit confusing.