Z1: best for the club or the bedroom?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by thisispreston, Jan 31, 2014.

1. thisispreston

thisispreston New Member

I just recently got into mixing with my X1, I'm a beginner bedroom DJ but will be DJing smaller events/house parties in the next six months.

I've been doing some research on mixers, and I'm looking for something that will be good to help me transition from small to larger scale venues. Since I have the X1 I've been really considering pairing it with the Z1 but I'm not sure if the Z1 is my best choice when it comes to growing into larger events. It seems to get the majority of it's attention when it's hooked up to iOS, which I don't want/have, so I'd like to see what opinions you Z1 users have about it, and whether it's better for a smaller setup, or if it fits the bill when you're playing for a larger crowd.
    If you have recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them!

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

The Z1 and X1 is a great combination. I'll stick a pic of mine at the bottom.
    They work great together in any situation, home or club but if you are thinking of getting into larger clubs then you may want to get used to a more traditional hardware mixer. It's not essential though, you can learn how to use a mixer with the Z1 and then you have something for home/party use.

The good thing about a Z1/X1 combo is that you can easily connect the Z1 to the house mixer in a club/bar and take up very little room.

I have used this setup in clubs and bars numerous times and had no problems at all. Don't let the size or price make you think that the Z1 is not a capable midi mixer, it is fine.

Attached Files:

• Z1.jpg
      Z1.jpg
      File size:
      264.4 KB
      Views:
    • Z1X1.jpg
      Z1X1.jpg
      File size:
      214.7 KB
      Views:
  3. thisispreston

thisispreston New Member

Thanks for the input Karlos!

4. Karlos Santos

No problem... It's funny, your forum name is 'thisispreston' and I live in a city called Preston :)

5. thisispreston

thisispreston New Member

Lol that's a funny coincidence

6. grayzers

grayzers New Member

Hi guys,

Just while you're on this topic can you tell me if you need a soundcard for this set up? The Z1 has one but the X1 doesn't, so I'm thinking together you shouldn't need one...am I right?

Thanks in advance :)

7. grayzers

grayzers New Member

By the way Karlos, where did you get that twin USB lead?...snazzy! :)

8. Karlos Santos

Yeah the Z1 soundcard will serve you just fine. You just need 2 USB ports on the laptop, one for the Z1 and one for the X1.

It's actually 2 USB cables but they have velcro loops on them so you can kinda fasten 2 together. They are from the DJTechTools store.

Karlos

9. binder_rik

binder_rik New Member

Hi Karlos, just wondering what brand of stand you're using in the pictures above? The angled one for the X1 and Z1.

Thanks

10. CASHLUVA

CASHLUVA Member

I would also like to know.

11. Karlos Santos

Sorry guys been away for a while. The stand is a laptop stand from Ikea that I cut down to fit 2 controllers.
    Works perfectly although you need to cut a piece out for the headphone jack to fit in the Z1. Easy enough to do.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60150176/