Z1 & Lightning connector?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by kieranbowley, Jun 11, 2013.

1. kieranbowley

kieranbowley Forum Member

Just looking at this amazing new product that I want to buy at launch. But it seems to only come with a 30 pin connector cable?

I have an iPad 4th Gen and an iPhone 5. How am I meant to connect?

KB

2. alejandroaw

alejandroaw NI Product Owner

it should work with an Apple 30-pin to Lightning convertor!

3. kieranbowley

That's a shame, those adapters are ugly and fragile.

Will NI be providing a lightning connector in the future to purchase separately?

4. deejay187

deejay187 New Member

5. rakim77

rakim77 Forum Member

I have an iPad Mini an I also hope NI will ad an lightning cable for the Z1!

6. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

iPad Mini here as well, there will be no more new Apple products with the 30 pin connector so NI should definitely produce a Lightning Cable to go with it. I certainly do not want to buy the Lightning to 30 pin adapter for this, the Lightning to 30 pin cable would be a better idea ...

Can any Mods comment on this?

7. kieranbowley

Karlos? Is there any word from NI about this?

£25 for what may be a temporary solution is a bit steep.

KB.

8. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

I don't know the answer to this. I will ask the team.

9. kieranbowley

Thanks Karlos! I will hold out on buying one in preparation for my delivery :lol:

10. Karlos Santos

11. kieranbowley

That's fine, we already expects that. But seeing as every new iOS device that comes out will only have a Lightning port on it will NI be making a Lightning to USB cable in the future?

Just seems a bit mad that there isn't the option already, even as a separate purchase.

12. Karlos Santos

I don't know Kieran. I'd guess that as there are still way more iPads with 30 pin connectors that it will be some time that NI change the contents of the retail unit. I guess they are covering a wider market at the moment.

Maybe when the iPad 5 (if there is one) comes out then perhaps the change to lightening cable will be made or maybe an optional cable.

This is one of the (kinda) minor details that isn't passed down the food chain to me.

I need to get a convertor myself for when I get hold of a Z1. I'm glad that my Tough Jacket has a hole to accomodate a convertor.

Karlos

13. deejay187

deejay187 New Member

Hi Karlos -

What about the cheap adapter option i suggested/linked to earlier?

It will convert the usb connector on our existing lightning cables to a type b usb for connectivity to the Z1? To me it seems that's the only thing different from a cable NI would officially release anyway.

Be great if you can find out if that will work. It's going to make a difference if i buy or not, to be honest.

I'm sceptical we will see a cable that includes a lightning connector from NI for considerable time, mainly due to costs and new tougher licensing issues with Apple.

If my suggestion does work, the obvious thing for NI to do would be to include this adapter in the package.

14. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

I've purchased one of those adapters ... I'm not that hopeful that it'll work but it's not expensive so whatever.

I also have the (in Australia) $45.00 Lightning to 30-pin adapter lead ... When I get my Z1 I'll let you know how it all goes.

15. procrastinator

procrastinator NI Product Owner

I´m quite shure the usb to lightning adaptor (CCK) will NOT charge the iOS device.

16. Karlos Santos

The CCK is not required with the Z1 and it is 100% not possible to power the iPad via the CCK anyway.

I have already tried converting a lightening cable to USB b and connected it to my powered hub and it did not supply power so I don't see it working with the Z1. I guess there's soon voodoo inside the unit that allows audio and power over the same cable.

Karlos

17. Karlos Santos

The CCK is not required with the Z1 and it is 100% not possible to power the iPad via the CCK anyway.

I have already tried converting a lightening cable to USB b and connected it to my powered hub and it did not supply power so I don't see it working with the Z1. I guess there's soon voodoo inside the unit that allows audio and power over the same cable.

Karlos

18. kieranbowley

£25 adapter from Apple it is then. Damn you Apple!

19. Karlos Santos

Lol... agree with you mate. Connector this, adapter that. Wish I had shares in Apple.

20. basile

basile NI Product Owner