Korg Radias Inspired Synth
First, special thanks to Native Instruments and the Reaktor community, particularly the below who created blocks which are incorporated into this design:
Switch 1.0 Marius H.
Envelope and Amp Combined: Blocks Ken Kovach
2 Device Router Ken Kovach
Morphine Filter Trial'N'Error
Vodka Filter Matthew Friedrichs
Matrix 16 - The Brain Olivio Sarikas
Bitcrusher (from Euroreakt) Michael Hetrick
Chorus Block Marcel Huibers
Bypass (placed in BitCrusher) Ken Kovach
Bento LFO - Synced Mete Atam
If anyone above has some ensembles they want me to make some patches for them on, I would be more than happy to as your efforts have been very helpful.
Brief Overview: 10+ years ago I briefly worked in a music store, and every day played the Korg Radias for a while, as I was obsessed with some of the elements of its structure for creating sounds. This mainly was due to three factors:
1. Morphable Filter 1 - Capable of getting xfade states between two separate filter states for some really unique sounds or tweaking in realtime.
2. Selectable Filter Routing between morphable filter, and the 2nd more traditional filter.
3. Step Sequencer for modulation capable of being routed to multiple sources
Note this is not an emulation of the synth, just an attempt to recreate some of its architecture which interested me, namely the above factors. The original also had some drum waveforms and you could sequence those, but I'm not interested in doing that here. You could always always replace the step sequencer with a drum machine sequencer here for that effect, or when i later incorporate vocoder and audio inputs (which will be v2.0 as it wasn't the priority for me either and my home studio is currently undergoing construction), you could feed an external drum machine or line in.
Input: Either Keys, or Shift Step Sequencer, selectable via switch.
Oscillators: Essentially this is 4 oscillators plus noise.
1+2. Mod Osc1 + 2, selectable via the waveform in Duality Osc, these go to an xfade mixer, and then are fed to input 1 of the 4 mixer bus
Osc 1 (modulated Duality Osc1) - fed into input 2 of the mixer bus
Osc 2 (modulated Duality Osc2) - fed into input 3 of the mixer bus
Noise - fed into input 4 of the mixer bus
Filters - Filter state is selectable via the 2 device router, so you can have them run in parallel or in the sequence defined, or as either filter alone, or with no filter. There is an xfade across the two
Morphine - Morphable FIlter
Vodka - 2nd Filter
Modulation - The real beast of this machine, you have 4 mod sources, and 16 destinations (but many options in those 16 destinations as they go to A/B of the modules, so you can have them control any parameter you choose or multiple parameters). It also has SLEW so you can delay the rate at which it will allow values to change, allowing for more of a slide between the two.
ADSR - Standard Envelope - Switch to select whether be triggered from shift sequencer gate, vs key gate
Vel - Selectable via switch between keys or shift sequencer
Seq - Curve sequencer mix output, so this could be either A or B or some mix depending on the far right slider (or depending on your modulation which can modulate the sequencer itself)
LFO - low frequency oscillator
The destinations are all labeled on the grid, you can have nothing modulating, or any combination of them. It is noted if they are modulating the A/B of a module, if no indication, it is only going to A.
Bitshaper (with on/off toggle)
Chorus + Delay
Output, ADSR envelope incorporated and is selectable to be triggered by either the keys or the shift step sequencer via a switch.
Future Feature Wishlist - Any advice or modules or ensembles I should check out would be greatly appreciated.
1. Not very frequently, but with some playing I'm getting pops (particularly when changing notes quickly), I'm not sure if this is due to any of the wiring, or if there is something clipping. Any advice here is appreciated, as I'm not sure if this is due to a problem with my design.
2. Combine the mod matrix units into a single unit 4x16 module to save screen space
3. Add a MW button to mod matrix for each of the 16 options, when pushed the the LVL value will be controlled by the Mod Wheel allowing you to bring in or out modulation, but only up to the max of the lvl knob so you are capable of controlling multiple parameters with mod wheel
4. Rather than having preset 16 destinations across the 4x16 grid, have selectable list to allow the destinations to be assigned by a list, allow for many more destinations
5. Rather than having 4 preset modulators across 4x16 grid, have selectable list to allow for many more modulators
6. Change mixer sections to a stereo mixer and allow for modulated panning between osc and noise sources (this will then require stereo versions of the filters and 2 device router)
7. A more elaborate effects section, this could be particularly interesting as you can have these effects modulated or their mix levels change based on modulation
8. Polyphony for pads - I see there are several polyphonic versions of other oscillators. Is anyone working on polyphony for the duality oscs? If not, I may make an alternate version for pads with a polyphonic osc someone has created.
9. I have a Kontrol S88, I will map the buttons and create an NKS template at some point when I've resolved some of the above.
10. Change the skins of everything to be more uniform. I really like the white background, black and red button look and spacing of The Brain mod matrix, so I ill probably go that route, but leave the kodiak models as-is as they work with that and are well laid out.
11. Vocoder like the Korg Radias... I see there are some modules, I'm having construction to build a studio at my house at the moment so my microphones and audio recording aren't properly set-up, so I won't incorporate that until v2.0 of this Reaktor Ensemble.
12. Possibly a filter section where you can select between multiple filter types for their different states. The one I used for t