Generative 'Wind Chime' Ambient Synthesiser
Tuuli is a generative 'Wind Chime' Ambient Synthesiser.
My family put some wind chimes in our garden over summer, and I really enjoyed the mellow tones and random melodies they would create.
I found the experience of having them in the garden, mixing with the ambience of our surroundings, very relaxing.
So, as we head into the cold winter, away from the garden and into our home, I wanted to create something that I could use to similar effect for indoor environments.
Tuuli is also partly inspired by some of the generative patches I have created on my Eurorack system (using Mutable Instruments Marbles, Rings etc.).
There is quite a lot of modulation going on 'under the hood', but I decided to keep the controls as simple as possible so it can just be enjoyed in its original intent.
It is a patch that you simply leave to play, and let it evolve and wander wherever it may want to go.
~~ Wind Overview~~~
'Wind' is created using a randomly modulated 2D LFO. The XY position of Wind (shown on the XY scope) will trigger the Chimes (the white dots on the scope) depending on their XY Co-ordinates.
- Speed controls the rate of the 2D LFO.
- Scatter controls the amount of random modulation applied to the 2D LFO rates.
- Melody controls the tuning/scale of the Chimes.
~~~ Chimes Overview ~~~~
The Chimes are created using a very simple form of FM synthesis, with a 'plucked' LPG type envelope response (cutoff frequency increases with amplitude).
A bank of bandpass filters are then used to tune the resonant 'body' of the Chimes.
- HiCut: This is a simple treble cut control. Increase to cut treble frequences.
- FM: Increases FM modulation index.
- Tune: Tunes the Chimes in Fifth and Octave steps.
- Decay: Controls the Decay of the Chimes.
- Chimes: Controls the output level of the chimes.
- Reverb: Controls the size of reverb.
- Pad: Controls the output level of the generative pad tone.
*** Development Roadmap ***
- Incorporate a random +/- fifth and random +/- octave control for the chimes.
- Possible update to chime controls to allow for 'Pad' type sounds (long attack) and more varied tones/textures.
- Incorporate more melody presets for Chime tunings/scales (taken from real wind chime scales).
- Include audio input (with treatments) which will also modulate Wind and Chimes.
- The audio in will be switchable between audio input, and a preset sample player (for field recordings etc.).