1.3.0 KSD Batch Convert Compatibility

Discussion in 'MASSIVE' started by dj_dunno, Sep 2, 2011.

1. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Quick question! Just wondering, after the presets have gone thru the Batch Convert in 1.3.0, does this mean the presets will no longer work in any versions of Massive below 1.3.0?
    ---
    Haha ok, having looked at my patch folders I've just answered my own question. Seems KSD has now been turned into NMSV. That's handy considering I'm about 1/4 of the way thru making a preset pack...... Gggrrr!
  2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Doesn't it back up the ksd versions? It would be pretty bad if it doesn't.
  3. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Yeah it doesn't touch any of the ksd's, it leaves them in place, so you then get folders filled with two files, .ksd and and .nmsv, so the originals are safe. There is however no way to save to anything other than .nmsv with 1.3 which is kinda annoying. Any .ksd you load into 1.3 is converted into .nmsv on load. So if your collabing with anyone and your using 1.3 and they are using a previous version, I'm guessing it's gonna cause problems.

I kinda wanna know if it's now safe to move all the .ksd files to a different folder not associated with Massive cause I'm kinda OCD an they look a right state! If I moved all the .ksd files then open something in my DAW that calls for one of them, what's gonna happen?
  4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Yes - that is particularly crappy if you want to sell to anyone who has Kore as they will also not be able to open your sounds. I would suggest maybe sound designers keep using the earlier version of the plugin (you can rename the dll and keep both versions side-by-side) so they can keep saving as Koresounds. I know several designers who are doing that.
  5. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Yeah I think that is the best idea! The presets I am working on atm are just a freebie to throw out, sick of seeing various companies charging a fortune for heavy bass presets aimed at dubstep producers just cause dubstep is the "in thing" right now. I'm by no means a sound engineer or anything, just learnt various aspects of Massive by messing around with it so thought I'd try and contribute or help peeps new to production. I'll be the first to admit they will be far from perfect!
  6. Ruari

Ruari NI Product Owner

I've moved my ksd files to a folder named ksd within the Massive folder which is in the Native Instruments/Shared Content/Sounds folder in my documents, where they originally were. The new files I've moved them into the Native Instruments/Massive/Sounds folder also in my documents. This has kept things tidy in the Massive browser & everything is still working as expected here.
  7. Ill Frequencies

Ill Frequencies New Member

Ok I am completely confused with this update.
    Firstly what are .nmsv files and why are they not .ksd anymore?
    And when I converted them from .ksd to .nmsv about 500 were unable to be converted? Why is this?
  8. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

I think NI's aim by converting to .nmsv was to keep all the patches for different products seperate. I saw a post in the Absynth forum about .ksd files being converted to .nab. Just a guess tho, and yeah it is kinda annoying. Were the 500 .ksd files that couldn't be converted definitely for Massive? I did nearly 4000 and they all converted over fine.

Theres more info about it in the Massive Manual Addendum English.pdf in the Massive/Documentation folder that explains all the info about the new patch format.

I think NI should have either included an option in the installer to keep your older version of Massive as well as have 1.3 installed or given a pulldown in the Save As option for a choice between .nmsv or .ksd, or even just a little batch tool you can run to convert .nmsv back to .ksd. Yeah, I'm sure maybe some parameter info might be lost going backwards but it would give much better compatibility when releasing presets.

And Ruari, yeah I made a dupe of my patch folder, renamed the one with both .ksd and .nmsv with _OLD on the end, then deleted all the .ksd files out of the folder Massive usually looks for. Did a DB rebuild in the standalone, then started loading random projects in Ableton and it all seemed to work fine. That's my OCD part sorted and my preset folders looking a little less insane!

Quick question, was anyone actually expecting this whole file format change or did it come as a surprise? I don't remember reading anything about it in the Upcoming thread, but maybe I missed it.
  9. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Looks like that's what some people are having to do anyway. But if they are having to do that it shows the whole idea is badly implemented - they simply should have continued with the ksd format and just either let anyone who actually has Maschine convert them into Maschine format (as no-one else probably cares anyway) or even better let Maschine load ksd too. Conversion should be optional not compulsory.
  10. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Yeah I agree with you here tbh. I've kinda abandoned the whole preset pack idea for the time being now, which is no biggie cause it was just gonna be a freebie anyhow but it's still irritating either way.

Speaking of the new NMSV format, I would still love to see some kind of batch parameter editing tool because a lot of the Bank names have been duplicated or messed up in conversion and it's a hassle to change each one in Massive. So NI, if your listening.... :)