Audio device buffer underflowed

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by johnscott, Aug 19, 2011.

1. johnscott

johnscott New Member

This is a problem haunted me for so long, it occurs when

1. I use "Kontakt Factory Library" strings
    2. Kontakt is plugged into a stereo instrument track in my Pro Tools LE 8.0.4

Assume that the string session start in the middle, I will have no problem playing back or recording the part before that. And when the session starts, I stand about 85% of chance to have the following 2 outcomes.

First, it halts, and show me a message box,

"The audio device underflowed. If it occurs frequently, try decreasing the "H/W buffer size" of the playback engine panel or remove other devices from the audio fireware bus. (-6085)"

Or worse, the whole machine freezes and response to nothing except the reset button.

What can I do for this, please?
  2. David Das

David Das Moderator

This is a Pro Tools error. I know you say you've isolated it to specifically using the Kontakt strings, but I can't think of any case that Kontakt could cause it. I think it's something else.

Except for one remote possibility: the error mentions the audio Firewire bus. Are you using a Firewire audio interface at the same time as you're using a Firewire external drive? Is the Kontakt factory library on that external drive?

This should not pose a problem (the Firewire bus is many times larger than what you're requiring) but it would be interesting to know.
  3. johnscott

johnscott New Member

David,

Actually I am not sure what is Firewire, it seems to be from the Mac system but I am using a PC. I USB-connected an M-box 2 mini (isolated to a seperated USB port, if you know what I mean), a Yamaha M88 MIDI Controller, and a wireless Mouse and keyboard set.

I found similar cases in Reaktor and Kore (especially when choosing samples from Reaktor).

I don't have any other computer that can do the same job so I cannot compare. This PC is using a 64 bit Window 7 ultimate system. I uninstalled Komplete 7 and Protools and install them back and this still happens. David, do you think this ProTools-Kontakt (and others) problem will not be on Mac OS? Should I switch my working computer to Macbook Pro?
  4. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

If think the mention of firewire is a red herring given you don't have it on your computer, and you certainly shouldn't need it for consistent audio.