Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Duffdeal, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffdeal

Duffdeal New Member

Persistent and untreatable audio dropouts when connected to my Dell, Dual Core 2.4 ghz Centrino laptop (4gig ram).

Have tried everything in the troubleshooter, even went out and bought a new powered USB hub, no joy.

The diagnostics report 60 USB I/O errors after about 5 minutes playing time, lots of clicking nastiness too.

Can't be the CPU, meter isn't even near half way.

Anybody else getting this?

Cheers, Tom
  2. A-Sans-A

A-Sans-A New Member

not having this kind of issue here but have you tried if possible the other USB bus on the laptop? for example i have a set of 2 on the side and another set of 2 on the back of my laptop. I believe the 2 on the side are not directly connected and never use them for my sound card. Why i stated is I use to have an RMX and it never worked properly on the side usb's but after plugging it into the rear bus everything worked fine. this may not be a fix but worth trying imo
  3. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Make sure you are running the ASIO drivers
    Try increasing the latency of your drivers
    Turn off all power-saving options in your computer including the USB ports
    Disable wifi and any virus/spyware blockers
    Run the DPC latency checker. If you are getting red spikes start disabling device drivers to see if that solves the problem
    If you are running an nVidia gfx driver try disabling it
  4. Duffdeal

Duffdeal New Member

Thanks fellas

Tried all the obvious stuff - moving ports, selecting ASIO, power saving, wifi, antivirus and latency (though am I correct that the only way to control the latency is via the buffer size? can't find any other way)

Didn't work

Didn't know about DPC (cheers Lethal) but it says I should be OK.
    My graphics card it ATI so the Nvida thing doesn't apply, I think.

What an utter bar steward.

Thanks for your time, any other suggestions greatfully accepted.

Tom
  5. Trancefanatic

Trancefanatic Forum Member

You have done the update on the software correct? Have you installed all drivers from the cd? I have had no problems on my macbook pro but when I demod it at gc it was on a dell and ran like utter crap with drop outs pops and clicks. They were running the beta version though.
  6. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Bite the bullet and format ya lappy and put a clean operating system on and start again.... then you can rule out any software conflicts as well..!
  7. loopbg

loopbg NI Product Owner

... there are still people who recommend Windows ... not that it can be made to work but it's so much more difficult!

Have you tried outputting through the built-in audio (you sacrifice the cue out, but still)? One user had to use it with his Audio 2DJ and it start working correctly. I guess it would also work with the built-in audio out.

Good Luck!
  8. Radiosilence187

Radiosilence187 New Member

I picked up my S4 yesterday and i've been experiencing audio drop outs as well,

I'm running an HP pavillion dv7 laptop with windows vista home 64bit, 2.0 gig cpu with 4 gig of memory

i've turned off as many background programs, services, graphics acceleration from the Nvidia, the wifi, and all that paired WITH the added buffer to the kontroller

still getting pops and audio drops, only not as much as before. It's such a great bit of equipment and it's really a shame this is happening, if there's some kind of fix lined up for this that'd be great.

I'd really like to hear something from the NI folks
  9. remi

remi New Member

getting the same -_-
  10. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

Didnt have problems with the soundcard, but with the HID thingamajiggy, so I eventually formatted my c-drive and installed my OS again. It was my only way out :)

I even put 2 different ghost images back from a couple of weeks ago, but no success. Only a clean install of my OS worked, so I recommend doing that :)
  11. lethal_pizzle

Run the DPC latency checker. Are you getting red spikes?
  12. Duffdeal

Duffdeal New Member

Hello again Lethal

In the end I did get a few red spikes on the DPC and tried to disable absolutely anything driver wise that wasn't essential. Did me no good so I created a dual boot by installing another clean operating system alongside the old one. Installed S4 as the only progam on a fresh install. Was sure it was going to work but sadly, exactly the same problem.

Seems like there's some basic incompatibility between the S4 soundcard and my USB bus.

Hmmm.
  13. myndz

myndz New Member

Same

Hi everyone as it is of today 30 october I can't get my s4 to work correctly either same problem crackle in sound tryed everything(driver,update,device menager laptop batery everything even list from other software and it still crackle ) I had traktor Pro before and there where no problem.:(
    My laptop is a dell studio 1555 4gb ram dual core 2.13ghz on Win7 64bits with a realy good graphic card

I also tryed everything with DPC but I dont want to start a fresh win7 is is hardware problem or realy my computer...
  14. Duffdeal

Duffdeal New Member

Hello Myndz

Mine's a studio 1555 too, and I have also tried everything I can possibly think of.

Runs like a dream on my mates mac. Damnitt.
  15. archades

archades Forum Member

My suggestion would be to run DPC checker BEFORE connecting the S4. Make sure that everything is green. Once you get that accomplished, connect the S4 and see what happens. That would narrow the causes for the drop outs.
  16. myndz

myndz New Member

Well I did this and before pluging in the USB cable of traktor my latency are all great... When I plug it in than I get sound clicking and CPU peak.

I'm backuping at the moment I will reinstall win7
  17. myndz

myndz New Member

tryed

Its 2 am I tryed everything 2 complete format tryed with the frist version without patch trying with and without windows patch so what Im I missing.
  18. lethal_pizzle

Try disabling your nVidia GFX card completely if you have one. If this works, you can install Rivatuner and force the GFX card into 2D mode.
  19. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

open up tickets if you havent done so. Thats two of the same computers with the same issue. This helps narrow the problem.
  20. lethal_pizzle

There is a sticky thread on Dell Studio computers in the Traktor Pro technical issues forum. Check it out - they've been known to have issues with streaming audio applications.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.