Denon DN-X1100 Mixer / Flexfader / Flex Fader

Discussion in 'General DJ Discussion' started by DjStrategy, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjStrategy

DjStrategy NI Product Owner

Hello
    I'm looking for feedback, reviews, your opinions and personal experiences on/with the Denon DN-X1100 mixer!

http://www.denondj.com/DN-X1100-P107.aspx

I've searched the web high and low and sadly I could only find 3 reviews (2 englisch and one german - The german one was pretty good with soundclips and pictures etc. but still not enough), even youtube hardly overed any real info...
    Also, most pictures I found were product pictures but I could hardly find any "real" photos.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, why am I looking for feedback/info on the Denon DN-X1100:

After years and years of two deck mixing I'm finally planning on uping my djing to four decks (external mixing).
    So obviously I need to switch from 2-channel battlemixers (I have quite a nice collection, as I am a scratchfanatic - which does not mean that I am ANY good!;) ) to a 4-channel clubmixer.

What I don't need and therefore also don't want to pay for is/are mixer-integrated:
    effects, bpm-counter, sampler, midi...as all of this is taken care of by:
    TSP, my Roland Sp-404 EffectsSampler as well as my Traktor Kontrol X1.

Meaning, I'm looking for a four channel high quality clubmixer with either the option to fit an innofader, pro x fader or sth similar or with an already inplemented good crossfader, crossfadercurvecontrol as well as linefadercurvecontrol.
    I also need a good efx send and return slope!

Two mixers so far have caught my eye:

The Ecler Nuo 4.0 which I use almost every weekend at the club as well as the Denon DN-X1100 which is:

a.) quite a bit cheaper then the Ecler (Ecler = 699 € vs. Denon 499 € ->an almost unbeatable price)

b.) already has the "Flexfader" (could hardly find any real feedback on the fader either besides that it's supposed to be quite "awesome" and similar to the "infinium" fader) built in.
    For the Ecler I would have to spend another 190 € to either buy Eclers very own Eternal-Fader or Audio Innovatives Innofader in order for this mixer to truly be scratchhappy!:D

c.) the Denon seems to have a better thought out send and return slope

d.) matrixinputselection = yummy!

e.) two mic inputs (separate from all channel inputs) which would make my life a lot easier as I quite often have MCs performing when I spin at hip-hop jams!

On the other hand, I know from personal use that the Ecler is one solid piece of equipement
    + I'm not to keen on the 60mm channelfaders on the Denon...which would be a bit long for quick echo-scratches!

Anywho to finally make up my mind I need more info.

So, if any of you have any personal experience with the Denon DN-X1100 and/ or the flexfader please post them in this thread!
    Thank you!;)
    Greetz
    Strat

PS. Please don't suggest other mixers (yes I have used DJM 500/600/700/800 and several other "clubstandard"-mixers) as I'm ONLY looking for feedback on the Denon DN-X1100 as well as the Denon Flexfader (also found in the DN-X1600/1700)!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Not gonna say anything about the Denon cause I haven't spent enough time on the 1100 to make a fair comparison.

I'm a big fan of the Eclers. That nice round EQ, the big grippy knobs, and the fader is actually not bad for scratching...ah who am I kidding, I'd drop an Innofader in there in a second. The one thing I don't like about the Nuo4.0 is the headphone jack on TOP of the mixer. I'm a mix DJ too, and occasionally like to cut (badly). A headphone sticking out the top of a mixer is not ideal, IMO, as it gets right in the way of fader-to-record hand transitions.
  3. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I've spun on a Denon mixer with a flex fader a few times, it feels like the one on on the tm56.

The only thing I can't tell you about is how good it is with scratching cause I only used it playing cds.

You can see it in action here

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Lx0eJiK3I&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- DJ HARA meets DN-HC1000S / DENON DJ[/ame]
  4. DjStrategy

@ Wyley - Thanks for posting that video...I hadn't seen it before...the flexfader seems to perform nice and smooth on those crabs! ; )

@ Telly - I luv the Ecler Nuo 4.0 (sounds really good and built quality is almost topnotch), but the Denon (except for the 60mm linefaders) truly seems perfect for me.

The things that stop me from simply purchasing the Ecler are:

a.) The EQs - The MidEQ covers a way to wide frequency range + the big knobs start to wobble after month of intense usage!
    b.) The second mic input is not seperatly routed but runs on channel/input 3!
    c.) The price Mixer = 699 € + new crossfader 199 € = 898 € vs. Denon 499 €
    I am pretty strapped for cash rite now, as I also need to buy a Audio 8 DJ. : (

Personally, I don't mind the headphone-jacks being on the faceplate.
    Eventough I do a bit of BASIC beatjuggling when spinning...I'm yet to learn any bodytricks so so far the jack hasn't really been in my way when mixing/cutting!
  5. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

There you have it, we definitely know who the certified mixer mfg leaders will be.
  6. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

IMG_0177.JPG

There are two headphone outs on the Ecler. Of course, the one on top when empty can still be a potential knuckle scraper.
  7. DjStrategy

That's the Ecler Nuo 4 not the Ecler Nuo 4.0!
    The newer one = 4.0 only has 2= 1x1/4" 1x1/2" on top!
  8. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Headphone jacks on the top panel sucks.

I don't know why some manufacturers put them there.
  9. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Keep in mind, someone has posted a Traktor TSI for the 1000S in the DJ controllers section.
  10. Rasmuffin

Oopps. The name change is so subtle with a fairly significant difference in layout and function.

When I bought mine both were available and I had to make sure the person on the phone understood which one I wanted.
  11. DjStrategy

?:S?:|?
    Sry Quartz, I don't really see the connection between your posts and the intention/questions of this thread!:confused:Maybe I missed sth. but a.) the 1100 is not certified and b.) what has the 1000s got to do with any of this? Were you just referring to the video posted by Wyley, or...?:S
    (By the way none of this was meant to sound harsh or judgemental so I hope it didn't come across that way!;))

Back on topic:
    I wish Denon would send the X1100 as well as the X1600/1700 to Skratchworx for reviewing so that more interested buyers would have some info to go on...cuz so far...slim pickins...
    I found a lot of people thoughout different forums being interested in the Denon DN-X1100 as a simple No-BS-4-channel mixer, but just like me they were/are holding off on buying due to the lack of info, feedback and reviews on the net!
    So, if any Denon employe is reading this....!;)
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  12. DjStrategy

According to the manual the Flexfader is a VCA-based fader meaning it is probably not in the same league as RANEs, ECLERs, INFINIUMs etc. magnetic and non-contact faders....and also, sadly the X1100 does not have the same backlit-EQ-knobs as the X1700!:(
  13. DjStrategy

Problem solved, I just snatched up an Ecler Nuo 5 in mint condition with both the Eternal as well as the Ecler Pro Crossfader on Ebay for 230 €! XD
  14. Rasmuffin

Nice find!
  15. DjStrategy

Thanks man, I so excited, can't wait for it to get here!:)
  16. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

That's a SICK deal dude. Just filthy. Send it over to me and I'll stick an Audio8 in it.
  17. Rasmuffin

That sounds dirty.
  18. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Moderator

Thread Re-Opened for further information.
  19. DjStrategy

Ok, so I'm back!:D

My Ecler Nuo 5 had to go due to several reasons:

- Only channels 1 and 4 were crossfader assignable
    (2 and 3 were always a and b, so no crossfader "through"option)
    - The H-Line and L-Line inputs sorta pissed me off when mixing with 4 decks!
    As well as some other things...

Anywho, so I sold it and was back in the market for a no bullshit 4-Channel Mixer with a nice crossfader! There is/was no need for midi and or effects for me - Got Maschine as well as the KX1 so when I saw the X1100 on ebay in pretty much mint condition I had to snatch it!

As soon as it gets here (probably by the end of next week) I'll give it a good beating and post the results afterwards!
  20. leonidassr

leonidassr New Member

Im interested in the dn x-1100 as well, so as soon as you have it on your hands, please post your first impressions! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.