Do the S4 drivers work in XP?

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by pepehouse, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepehouse

pepehouse Account Suspended

I'm still waiting to buy the S4 due to all the horror stories about sound dropouts provoked by the shitty audio drivers NI happily released.

Being clever it's nice :D I have saved myself lots of headaches and beta-testing and being angry all this months and swearing against NI here and Karlos banning me forever (well, this could still happen):D but lately my money burns in my pocket, It's been 3 months now and I want to play with the S4 as soon as possible, so my question is as the title says if the S4 works properly in XP, cause yesterday, reading one of the many threads about the subject I got the feeling that maybe it could happen only in W7 and I'm still in XP in both of my computers, so maybe there's a possibility that I can run it now.

Yeah, do XP users are having problems with the S4? Thanks in advance.
  2. viceversa

viceversa Forum Member

Running XP over here, still a couple hiccups here and there but after some tweaks its runs pretty good on my hardware. I think its safe to say that traktor will run better on XP when compared to windows vista/7 on the same hardware.
  3. pepehouse

Thanks for your answer mate, what tweaks did you to your computer in order to make it work?
  4. KLH

KLH Forum Member

I just got back from a glitch-free gig that used the S4 on XP.

The secret for me was to disable the ACPI battery drivers.

-KLH
  5. Steve Zorilow

Steve Zorilow NI Product Owner

No problem on xp here, no tweak, it just works.
  6. ReeperDeeper

ReeperDeeper New Member

XP SP3 works fine with Kontrol S4!
  7. pepehouse

and you had dropouts before disabling those drivers?

Thanks everybody for the responses, I could try it maybe and if it doesn't work I'll bitch here till Karlos ban me. :)
  8. KLH

KLH Forum Member

Yep... since disabling the ACPI battery drivers, I get dropouts if I push latency. If I want GREAT performance, I'll use the ASIO4All driver to wrap the WDM driver - and I can go down to 192 samples before the CPU (2GHz C2D) gets taxed.

-KLH
  9. viceversa

viceversa Forum Member

start by following NI's suggested tweaks for windows XP. This includes updating laptop with latest bios and drivers, disabling some unnecessary services such as themes. some peeps made this nice little script which I use to disable most of the unnecessary stuff before I run traktor. Link here!

Some other common practices may include temporarily disabling any firewalls and anti-virus software you may have running as well as any other software which runs in the background.
  10. pepehouse

Cheers for the info viceversa but if I have to disable my whole computer to work the S4 I rather wait for the new drivers to avoid headaches and beta testings as I said in my first post. Also is not good to run your computer without important processes:

[​IMG]

And it's even worse during a live gig.......;)
  11. viceversa

viceversa Forum Member

haha I can see where your coming from, doing all kinds of tweaks and such with windows is not recommend for everyone unless you know what your doing anyways. Either way, it should just "work" from NI and I really do hope they come out with some better drivers sometime soon!
  12. DeepCutta

DeepCutta Forum Member

The s4 was plug and play on my older work supplied Lenovo Core Duo with XP sp3 loaded with bloatware.

Worked fine with simple two deck mixing and FX, never had a chance to try more.

Started having issues when I moved to a newer, more powerful laptop with Win7 64bit.
  13. pepehouse

Good to know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.