1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

How to set up - TSP2 and DJM 900 Nexus and CDJ 2000s

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by keithos27, Mar 18, 2013.

1. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

Hi there. I have two CDJ 2000s, a DJM 900 Nexus, and Traktor Scratch Pro 2. I want to set up my system so that the CDJs are on Channels 2 and 3 and am only using two decks in TSP2.

My question is how do I set up Traktor to recognize this set up and also record my mixes? On the Pioneer utility I have all of my channels set to USB.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Keith
  2. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

3. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

I had tried searching, didn't find what I was looking for, and thus posted a new thread. ;)

Thanks for the links (they all point to the same ultimate step regarding recording). I need help with routing as well. Whenever I press play on CDJ1 (on Channel 2 on my DJM 900) Deck B within Traktor plays. When I hit play on CDJ 2 (Channel 3) nothing happens.

-Keith
    ---
    PS. I just recently formatted my computer and thus am needing to set everything up again.

This is for my setup at home... 2 CDJ 2000s, and 1 DJM 900 Nexus. Should I be using HID mode? I'm honestly not all that familiar with the different modes. I use TSP2 and timecode CDs to still control my MP3s like vinyl and I use Traktor to play and record my mixes.

What pros/cons are there to HID mode vs. the other modes?

Also, I have a USB hub and an ethernet hub. The ethernet cables go from the 2 CDJs to the hub and then from the hub to the DJM. The USB hub has two USB connections... one is for my Kontrol X1, the other is a cable that goes from the hub to the DJM 900. Finally the third cable (the hub uplink) goes from the hub to the laptop.

Thanks,
    Keith
  4. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Yes, if you have CDJ 2000s you should always use Advanced HID! All Pros, no cons :)

You connect both your CDJs and the DJM to the computer with USB cables. Use the DJM as your sound card, and press LINK on each CDJ to activate Control Mode. You should get a Traktor Deck selection screen on each CDJ.
    Make sure you set the HID setting on the CDJ to "Advanced".

The ethernet hub is not really necessary for Traktor use. There is absolutely no benefit connecting your laptop to the hub when using Traktor - this only works with Rekordbox.
  5. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

Yes I did it for Rekordbox. Also, it's the ethernet that makes the platter change from white to red when "live" correct? I like those "pretty" features, haha.

So give the setup I described above, is there a step-by-step tutorial on how to do that? Do I need to connect the CDJs to the USB hub as well (or can Ethernet replace that)?
  6. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

What setup are you trying to put together?

Advanced HID does everything that timecode does but is better in every way. You only need the 3 USBs from the computer to CDJs/Mixer for HID with Traktor.

Ethernet does not work for Traktor.
  7. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

I guess advanced HID... so I need to buy two more USB cables to go from CDJ 1 and 2 to the USB hub?

Do I setup recording the same way as the article in your first reply showed?
  8. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Yes, the sound card setup is the same as before. You may want to switch around the Output Routing as it puts Deck A on Channel 1 in the guide, whereas it makes more sense to put Deck A on Channel 2.

The CDJs connect separately as controllers only - they do not handle any audio.
  9. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

Does HID mode then disable the platter turning white/red depending on whether the channel fader is up or not?

Also, does this interfere with Rekordbox in any way?

Thanks,
    Keith
  10. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

There's currently no way to get the red jog illumination in Traktor.

HID doesn't affect Rekordbox at all.
  11. keithos27

keithos27 Forum Member

Okay thank you. :)