1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

HumanMaschine: Ableton+Maschine Template

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by willrjmarshall, Apr 5, 2012.

1. willrjmarshall

willrjmarshall Forum Member

Hey guys!

For the last couple of weeks I've been working on an Ableton remote script and template for the Maschine. I've got this project to a sensible Beta stage now, and I'd love to have Maschine owners here help me test it. I've copypasted the blurb so you can see what it's about:

This is a LivePA/DJ template for the Native Instruments Maschine.

It has a hosted instance of the Maschine plugin for all your groovebox needs, but *also* has APC20-like control of Ableton itself. I've set up some example channel effects, in-Maschine scene launches, MIDI clips for Maschine and so on.

This template is intended for use with an external DJ mixer. I recommend bussing Deck A and Samples to channel A on your mixer, and Deck B and Maschine to channel B. However, if you've got more outputs on your sound-card you can easily use more mixer channels.

This project is in beta, yo, so there's no video yet​

Get yourself a copy of the Beta at http://willmarshall.me/products/human-maschine-beta :)

I'll be giving a discount on the final version to all beta testers who provide feedback, so go nuts!

Enjoy!
    -W
  2. sowari

sowari Moderator

do you want feedback here?

this looks like it could be really good. Many of the features work, but there are one or two issues:

You have 2 Stops one works one doen't- but you probably know that ;) i would say using ERASE as a proper Stop is better than Loop.

your mp3 is also missing, for beta testing just having that as part of the file would be good.

i am a bit confused about the Maschine Project, is that meant to be a loaded Project or not? i just got a 909 kit with no Patterns and no Scenes. i think there should be a proper Maschine Project with scenes just for ease of testing.

regarding the effects - the first Cutoff knob is confusing, does it do anything? after unpacking, i can see it should be controlling an EQ Eight's Frq 1, but it has no effect. unless it works in conjunction with Cheap Radio?

and yes the instructions need to be more detailed, there is nothing about using Ableton's Preferences. this is okay if people have done this sort of thing before, but not everyone has.

still.... this looks pretty good so far.

sowari
  3. willrjmarshall

I do!

Is there anything else you'd like to be able to control in Ableton?

I've skipped drum racks since Maschine makes that redundant, and similarly I've skipped any pad/instrument control as Maschine does that better than Ableton. I might be wrong about this, though?

this looks like it could be really good. Many of the features work, but there are one or two issues:​

Pretty much, yeah. I haven't yet taken the time to finish it off or write documentation: soliciting a bit of feedback from Maschine users first.

You have 2 Stops one works one doen't- but you probably know that i would say using ERASE as a proper Stop is better than Loop.​

Can you clarify? Is there a Loop button on the controller I'm missing?

your mp3 is also missing, for beta testing just having that as part of the file would be good.

Ah yeah. I'll stick one of my own tunes in next time I do a release :)

i am a bit confused about the Maschine Project, is that meant to be a loaded Project or not? i just got a 909 kit with no Patterns and no Scenes. i think there should be a proper Maschine Project with scenes just for ease of testing.​

I'm expecting Maschine users to bring their own templates to the party: since that's where all their own loops, drum samples etc will be. However, setting up an example template with a bunch of generic Maschine library kits will likely make operation more clear.

regarding the effects - the first Cutoff knob is confusing, does it do anything? after unpacking, i can see it should be controlling an EQ Eight's Frq 1, but it has no effect. unless it works in conjunction with Cheap Radio?​

Ah. That's cribbed from my existing APC40 template. Cutoff controls the frequency range of the subsequent three FX. Essentially it splits the audio into high and low freqs (losslessly) and the FX are only applied to the high channel. I have a video on this at https://vimeo.com/8805159

and yes the instructions need to be more detailed, there is nothing about using Ableton's Preferences. this is okay if people have done this sort of thing before, but not everyone has.​

Yup. Right now I'm assuming the beta-tester volunteers are clueful: most of them have used my APC40 template before which is set up very similarly.

However, before release I'll do a pair of instructional videos and probably a PDF manual.
  4. M.D.A

M.D.A New Member

Just been having a play with this and I like it, nice work!

I was using the advanced Maschine template but there is a lot of stuff in there that isnt really needed for DJ sets (aside from the clip launch stuff). I like how this is more focused towards the DJ with the Clip launch and FX (btw the fade to grey Fx is great!)

I like to four stop buttons for each deck, very useful if you are dropping in a loop from Maschien and need to cut it out.

Im not sure what the scene 1 - 8 clips on the Maschine track are for? they seem to be empty?

The tempo knob is a little bit sensitive in my opinion, I do a lot of speed change transitions between house and dubstep and its hard to get a smooth pitch up/down with the resolution you have.

All in all great work, would love to get the finnished version when its done!
  5. robbieds

robbieds NI Product Owner

Arrabmuzik/Jeremy Ellis style live performance could be an option.

Or that mr. invisible had a tutorial with how to set up a live performance drum kit.

It would bring so much more to a performance, rather than just mixing, and it can all be done from one controller :D
    ---
    Omg have to get a Macbook, but I 'm waiting for the new one to come out.

is there a reason that it wont unzip in windows?
  6. willrjmarshall

Nah. Bad download or a broken unzip app. The .zip is fine...

Super tricky to fix, sadly. No true endless encoders on the Maschine. I might have to use up/down buttons instead.
  7. robbieds

Downloaded again, has somethging to do with mac file names i dunno, but i 'm take action into my own hands and try and make my own template.

Have any tips or starting? I was going to read the Controller Editor manual and mayb check remote scripts blog for some tips, because I've never programmed any controllers. Wish I could ve seen yours for comparison.

And now ur files won't delete from my computer.. says there running a program when all programs are closed...dam PC
  8. robbieds

K got your template working, I ve never used the controller editor really and was wondering if you see all the controls you mapped on the controller editor GUI.

Whenever I try and open you Controller configuration file nothing happens in the editor's GUI, But looks like a great in Live. Gonna thow on some tunes and try it out. Thank you very much.

I really like the scene integration.

-----------------------------------

After an hour of fiddling around (noob to remote scripts an controller editor). Finally got your template.

Loving it.

I was trying to get Ill gates to do a Maschine template, but this will do the job perfect

I still plan on making my own tho.

Love your multifx.

Only problem so far is record(ableton) is set to erase and record(maschine) when i thought it was set to stop.

I let you know of other problems.

Sorry to be such a bother b4. Very much appreciate this temp, exactly what I ve been looking for.
  9. willrjmarshall

10. robbieds

Nice, got it, if you change anything post on this thread so I know of any updates :)