Kontakt 4 crashes on instrument from factory library

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by ruslan.st, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ruslan.st

ruslan.st NI Product Owner

I am using the latest version 4.3.2 of Kontakt and Factory Library is 1.0.4.

Problematic instrument is World -> 1-Flutes -> Kaval.nki.
    When load it and try to play any note with mouse on Kontakt's screen keyboard it crashes.
  2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

Hmmm... same thing happens to me. If I use Kore and load Kaval, Kontakt doesn't crash, but it gets stuck on the first key press.

That looks like a corrupted sample... will need to look further.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. ruslan.st

Looks that problem is in convolution effect in insert slot. If bypass it or turn knob to full dry level in performance view Kontakt does not crash.
  4. arachnaut

Yes, even replacing the Concert Hall A with Concert Hall B crashes.
  5. bitflipper

bitflipper NI Product Owner

The issue is with the convolution reverb, specifically its latency setting. The workaround is the same for this patch as for the similarly-afflicted Wurly Speaker.nki patch: set the convolution reverb's latency to 0.
  6. ruslan.st

Thanks, bitflipper. It works.
  7. erwinph

erwinph New Member

crash

Yes, loading Kaval crashes Kontakt but loading Electric pianos-Wurly speaker makes Kontakt crashes to.
  8. Vanhapolle

Vanhapolle Forum Member

these things make me very sad. becouse i buyed kontakt for their factory library. but real point to come here is ask where is this setting convolution latency for convolution reverb what mentioned ?
    ---
    I have weird luck i mean i dont want often use Kontakt Convolution reverb becouse i want all sounds to same room/hall... but now i tired set latency to 0ms (i found thing!) but when i set convolution reverb again on
    ps. luckily i mainly need kontakt maybe for drums,pianos and bass. and i talk things what i cannot get even close same quality sounds. i also like ochestral patches but i also like another orchestral sounds what i can also use... wgich have own good points..
  9. Vanhapolle

Vanhapolle Forum Member

Actually this dont fix thing becouse sometimes when i even download it crashes i think...
  10. DevonPete

DevonPete Forum Member

I can confirm this too. Serious crashes -- resets M-audio asio driver to Full-duplex. Have to reboot and AVOID loading this library set. Even crashes in Standalone mode too!

Constantly repeatable. Very disappointing. Perhaps some others can confirm? And NI could respond. There is already another update patch in progress... it would be great to get this fixed ASAP.
  11. Sagantech

Sagantech New Member

I too have had repeated crashes in the latest version of Kontakt. All I have to do is load up an old .nkm file (which contains all factory sounds saved with Kontakt 3.5) and it will crash on playback. I did notice that almost all of the sounds have the convolution latency thingie set to non-0, so I tried to meticulously edit each part to set the latency to 0 but I must have missed one because on playback it crashed.

I wonder if there is a version of Kontakt 4 that does not have this bug that I can revert to? If anyone can point me to it I would like to try.
  12. flowheimer

flowheimer New Member

Same deal.

I just installed Komplete 7 on a freshly-formatted DAW, downloaded and installed all the available updates through Service Center, fired up Kontakt and started going through the factory sound bank.

The instrument Word > 1 - Flutes > fluteKaval.nki loads normally but crashes Kontact upon hitting the first note. I can confirm that changing the convolution reverb's latency to zero prevents the crash, and that setting it back to any other value immediately crashes the sampler and the host. The crashing is true of standalone mode, as well. I've not yet investigated to see if any other instruments exhibit the same symptoms.

I get that there's a workaround for this issue in the meantime but this is a clearly documented, easily repeatable bug and I hope NI issues a fix ASAP.

fH
    ---
    I'd like the reassurance of knowing that Native Instruments was aware of this bug and taking steps to correct it.

A little communication goes a long way, eh.

]-[
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

This does not happen in pre-1.0.4. Library versions.

For the time being I recommend changing the Convolution reverb latency to 0 ms, and resaving the patch(es) which displays crashing behavior.

How to do that?

1. Open the instrument Edit mode by clicking on the monkey wrench icon.
    2. Scroll down to the Send Effects section - if it's compacted, expand it by clicking on downwards arrow. By default you should now see the Convolution module, also opened for editing.
    3. Below the Return knob and to the left of Auto Gain button (which is active and glowing yellow), there's the Latency dropdown menu. Simply click on it and select "0 ms (latency free)".
    4. Close the Send Effects tab.
    5. Resave the patch.

This is most likely the same thing that NI will do, but since you can fix it yourself, why wait? :)

Of course, it would have been better if the bug wasn't there in the first place.
  14. arachnaut

I'm glad that we found the cause, but the cure is pretty simple - just turn off the convolution.

When I make tracks I will usually keep each instrument dry anyway and that convolver chews up a lot of CPU.
  15. Sagantech

Sagantech New Member

No, they will make the reverb not crash or completely remove the latency parameter if it does not add anything.

I want to load up multiple instruments from Kontakt 3.5 using .nkm files and they all have this problem. In some cases, in multiple places (send/insert, etc.). It is not easy to go and find all of them. If you miss one, Kontakt will crash. This is not the job of an average user!
  16. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

The latency parameter will most likely not be removed because of backwards compatibility. And zero-latency convolution was one of the new things in K4.2, so that won't be removed most definitely.

I believe the issue is NOT in the Convolution module, it's somewhere in the file format, something most likely got garbled between pre-K4.2 to K4.2 conversion. However, NI might find otherwise. This is just my opinion from the look of things, because library version 1.0.2 works without any crashes.
  17. ikkejick

ikkejick New Member

Ney, Native Instruments! Listen up! I am getting quite frustrated, since no one answers and I have the sime kind of trouble. Not with the flute sample, but I am creating my own sample set so I can trigger my user samples that I imported. Kontakt 4, fully legitime, completely activated and service center shows that way too, goes into DEMO mode. How am I expected to trust your software when using on stage?
    I really don't want to sound harsh or bash anyone, but this is SERIOUS kind of trouble when gigging. When there becomes no solution available, I see myself forced to buy a hardware sampler.. My trust in Native Instruments has decreased quite a lot since I bought Komplete 7 and my Komplete Audio 6 interface. Nothing but trouble, sadly enough...