1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Line 6 Gearbox VST Plugin

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by Rhmsc8, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhmsc8

Rhmsc8 Forum Member

Apparently Line 6 has finally come out with a plugin version of the POD/Vetta...etc. Only down side I see is no stand alone version.

78 guitar amps, 24 guitar cabs, 28 bass amps, 22 bass cabs, 6 mic preamps, 80 plus stompbox and studio effects.

Now thats loaded!!!

I may jump ship if I can demo this somewhere. Although from what I understand it sounds identical to their hardware units. Personally, that is fine with me.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.line6.com/gearbox_plugin/
  2. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

Actually the standalone version is the one that has been available for months in Gearbox 2 and now 3.
    or am I missing something?
    rsp

edit: yep I was. the standalone version assumes you have one of their products already, like pod, guitarport, toneport etc.....once you have one of these you can download gearbox for free and that will allow standalone operations.
    personally I got the toneport before I got both GR2 and Amplitube 2, and the toneport is the one the I least use.
    rsp
  3. Rhmsc8

Rhmsc8 Forum Member

The gearbox plugin is just that. A plugin like GR or Amplitube. It requires no hardware unit like the toneport or Pod XT....etc. The tone port is a hardware device. The problem with what you are talking about is.... They only allow you to have the amps and effects that are available in your unit. Which kind of sucks but is fair.

But.... buy the gold plugin pack and you get them all :)

Just seems as though it may be a great alternative to NI GR2. on another down side.... It appears they utilize the preamp as a dongle... Which would mean you MUST have a free USB port. Where as with NI... You don't have to use RK2

Ah-well... This still keeps sounding like a good alternative to me. Not that I am bashing NI. I think GR is awesome. They just irritate me with their lack of information. That and lets see..... 78 amps vs' 8. Hmmm Hands down 78 - lol
  4. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

hi, not sure if you are aware of the model packs which allow you to upgrade any of the hardware, well not sure if any but most of the hardware to get all the amps/pre-amps and cabinet.
    In other words with my Toneport, I can buy all the model packs and have the same number of fx/pre-amps and amps like the Gold, then I can also buy the VST plug in that will allow me to use all of them as a plug in....
    Not necessarily cheap, but it allows you to use the line6 stuff as both plug in and standalone.
    rsp
  5. Rhmsc8

Rhmsc8 Forum Member

True. Good point. Although... from my understanding if you own the model packs you get those for free in the plugin as well.. Hence, in your case you would be better off to buy the modelpacks and then just get the free update or discounted.... whatever it is.

Either way seems like it may be a good alternative, don't you think?

I would love to check this thing out hands-on. It looks very cool. Well that, and I love my vetta - hehe I really wish they offered a discounted upgrade for us vetta owners :(
  6. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

yes you are correct the vst allows you to run any model pack or amps/fx etc that you have bought. the VST plug in upgrade is $200 which is a little too rich for my blood for something that I dont' use too often.
    Can't you buy the plug in for $200 for your vetta and have 30 days to try it out?
    rsp

ouch, nope not for the vetta.
    sorry
    rsp
  7. darc

darc NI Product Owner

I am not too easily confused by techie stuff... but Line 6 has managed to baffle me with this one.

I can buy the VST but only if I already own the sounds in other hardware but there's a gold version that includes all the sounds but there's another hardware component that acts as a dongle but... Criminy.

I always wanted VST versions of the Line 6 amps but until this gets sorted out I can't even be bothered to think about it. Especially if I've gotta lug another piece of hardware to use a native DSP effect.

Besides which, I'd still need to run GR2 in my chain for the speaker sims. If GearBox sounds like a Vetta, then the amp models will be fabulous, but the D.O.'s won't sound as good as GR2 in terms of cab/mic sims.
  8. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

I am not sure if I am helping or hurting here..

But they are two ways to get the vst....

for first time buyers, you buy either the gold or silver verstion of the vst, which I think are $399 and $699? or something like that...and it comes with a D/I that acts as a dongle.

OR for people who already own gearbox compatible line6 products, like gearport, toneport, podxt etc.... you can purchase the vst for $199 which allows you to use the fx/amps that you already own and use them as a vst plug in.

rsp
  9. darc

darc NI Product Owner

You're helping - thanks.

In the latter case - for folks who already own a Line 6 product - is there still a dongle/DI requirement. I'm guessing yes?

I own a Vetta presently, sold my POD Pro a couple of years ago.
  10. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

for the vetta I thnk you are out of luck. but I know the guitar port and tone port and new kb37 and floor port and I believe the pod series....these act as dongles..

rsp
  11. darc

darc NI Product Owner

Makes sense - it sounds like the same sales model as they'd been using for the downloadable tone bundles for PodXT etc.

Not very appealling to me though - a POD is a seriously overqualified dongle for a native effect. Even an iLok key (which I would typically consider a mark against a product)would be a step in the right direction. How many POD or GuitarPort owners are going to spend $200 on a plugin whose tones they can already achieve? How many serious studio guys are going to drop $399 or (gasp) $699 and be tied to Line6's interface? Unless I'm missing something, it just sounds nuts.

What's really nuts is that there will probably be a hacked version on the web within weeks of me writing this.
  12. darc

darc NI Product Owner

This is the sort of thing that keeps me confused (from one of the early posts in this thread):

"The gearbox plugin is just that. A plugin like GR or Amplitube. It requires no hardware unit like the toneport or Pod XT....etc.

on another down side.... It appears they utilize the preamp as a dongle... Which would mean you MUST have a free USB port."

Don't these two points contradict one another?
  13. zvenx

zvenx NI Product Owner

yes that is why I am not buying it, if it was $100 I would have not $200....
    street prices for the gold and silver are much less....maybe like $200 off.
    rsp
  14. Rhmsc8

Rhmsc8 Forum Member

Actually it is 299.99 for Silver, 499.99 for Gold and 199.99 for the update. Of which you need no dongle for. The USB gear you are upgrading with becomes the dongle.

Most of the stores are selling it locally here for 449.99 Which in my opinion isn't bad at all. Look at what we paid for NI GR 1 and 2.

As for the cabinet modelling being better in NI.... I personally have never had a problem with the ones in my Vetta. That is a matter of opinion I am sure. But, something tells me once you add it all into the mix.... I fail to see how you would hear that much of a difference. I may be wrong.... I am after all a neophyte when it comes to recording. So, take what I say with a grain of salt - LOL

Line 6 Gearbox Plugin has a lot more features to boot and Line 6 is tried and true in my book.

I am just plain frustrated with NI and all of their customer issues. I guess my patience are just spent.

@ Darc What I meant was.... There were a lot of people confusing the plugin for a librarian.... Hence, I was trying to get the point across that it does not require a Pod, TonePort...etc. for sound. Just as a dongle.

Sorry for the confusion :)

In addition Darc... I totally agree on the ILok key thing. It seems so silly to have to take the usb interface with you everywhere you go.... Although... I already do that with RK2. - LOL - But, I definately agree on the key thingy.

Regards
  15. darc

darc NI Product Owner

"In addition Darc... I totally agree on the ILok key thing. It seems so silly to have to take the usb interface with you everywhere you go.... Although... I already do that with RK2. - LOL - But, I definately agree on the key thingy."

Yeah, that's really a deal breaker for someone like me who wants to use the product live, and who doesn't expect to use the Line 6 interface. I lug the RK2 everywhere as well, but a) it's optional, and b) it solves not one but three different problems for me (audio conversion, MIDI conversion, pedal board.) Oh well maybe they'll get it right next year. :)

And yeah, you're absolutely right about the speaker sim thing being subjective, like everything else regarding guitar tone.
  16. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

I've been over on the Line 6 Forum. I own both Guitar Rig2 (no RK or RK2), and Line 6 Guitar Port, TonePort, and all the model packs except the bass.

Most of us that own the interface products already feel that $200 is way too much for the ability to re-amp effects that we have already paid for on dry tracks that we recorded ourselves.

The hardware acts as a dongle; as I/O, they are pretty underwhelming, but the models sound good - but I really don't think the program compares with the intelligence and flexibility with which GR2 is written. I will continue to play with Line 6 as a casual live performing device and practice environment, but will be concentrating on GR2's excellent VST for recording work..

I do feel that Line 6's pricing policy has really soured me on them... I have quite an investment in them, but the VST should have been provided long ago, especially as routing is limited, effect choices are limited, both in position, number, ad number within a category and the cabinet models are limited in scope - and the system requires a dongle.

Those were not deal breakers for me (except as a guitarport owner, I did pay twice for the models when I upgraded to Toneport). But to me, the $200 for simple VST functionality is outrageous; GR2 is far more professional and functional.

Just my opinion, YMMV,

Chuck
  17. darc

darc NI Product Owner

"routing is limited"

This was a concern for me as soon as I saw the screen shot. It looked a little bit too much like the editor for the Vetta, which reflects a fixed architecture: a bank of stompboxes, an amp model, a speaker sim, and out. Versus GR2 which let's you stack modules any which way.

Line 6 seriously trumps NI, however, in the way of amp module variety.
  18. Uelef

Uelef NI Product Owner

Can anyone tell me if the Gearbox Plugins sounds exactly like my PODxt? Or did they improve the sound?

And another question: I own a PODxt and all model packs. Can I use the model packs with the plugin or do I have to pay for the more expensive version?
  19. Rhmsc8

Rhmsc8 Forum Member

You can use them and get the upgrade. Whatever models you currently have you will have in the plugin.

Hey, can you do me a favor. if you get the downoadable update could you do a side by side comparison of some of the heavier models? :) Pleassssseee :)
  20. Uelef

Uelef NI Product Owner

Thanks for the info.

But should I really pay 199 bucks to compare my PODxt with the Gearbox plugin? That's to expensive - especially because I do not really often use my PODxt... In my opinion GuitarRig 2 and especially Amplitube 2 sound much better than the PODxt. I do not need a third guitar plugin, particulary if it sounds like the PODxt which I own.

Maybe someone else got to much money to compare both... I do not...

Ulf
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.