Maschine Controller and Ableton

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Zero B, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Zero B

Zero B Forum Member

Are you ever going to fix Maschine so I can use it as a damn Ableton controller. :angry:

Thanks.
  2. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

why not buy an apc as this was designed as an ableton controller

ur asking the lexus dealer to fix its car into a benz
  3. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Sounds like a bit much for resolution but was also what I found to be the best solution.
    Got my APC40 for less than the cost of the APC20 and have been really happy with the difference of trying to use Maschine for LIVE.
  4. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

There's a bug that means Maschine stops transmitting MIDI to Ableton, so this Lexus or Benz or whatever is up on blocks on the front drive.
  5. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

I think he meant trying to make Maschine a Benz for LIVE not that it was a Benz.
  6. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

It needs to be fixed, hopefully we'll see an updated template/driver with the 1.8

I use the iPad to control ableton, but that doesn't mean NI shouldn't fix the issue where Maschine losing connectivity when controlling Live.
  7. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

no i mean the maschine controller was desined to be used with mashine

i use it standalone and its great

the fact it dont work with live proiperly and pro tool properly is neither here nor there to me.

i seen the maschiones primarty function as a controller for the maschine software, the use of maschine as a controller for other software is a 2ndary function at best.
  8. saintjoe

Yep, it's secondary, but promoted as an option, so it should work. Even if it's not something I personally use, I still think it should be fixed.

Many people decide to purchase Maschine because it can also double as a very dope midi controller for other software, so while many of us mainly use it just for Maschine, there are quite a few for whom the selling point was the additional functions it has a midi control device.
  9. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

I think the new controller will be better suited as the coloured pads will help keep better track of the clips.

But in general I don't think Maschine is the best controller for live anyway. 16 pads is just too limiting I think. You're much better off using an APC or a launchpad for clip launching and just use Maschine as Maschine.
  10. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

^this. Some of the templates for Maschine are pretty good. Someone got the red box working as well. I was personally working on a kick-ass Traktor mapping but had to shelve it because it kept freezing
  11. july142

july142 Forum Member

yup im selling apc40 for 200 and getting touchable , i dont see why ever DAW shouldn't be controlled on a touchscreen tablet.
  12. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

only thing with touchable is it drains the battery quick style....even when its being charged at the same time...I prefer a launchpad and v-control pro, seems to work just as well and v-control allows you to tweak anything shown on your PC...bit expensive though
  13. july142

july142 Forum Member

thanks for that info i'll look into your setup suggestion.... im working on VERY limited space so the touchable seemed the best option...
  14. saintjoe

I prefer touchosc with the live control template over touchable, but either way...it's nice
  15. july142

july142 Forum Member

does vcontrol work with ableton? dont see any youtube vids

and can i set it up to control my waves api eqs
  16. Zero B

Zero B Forum Member

I have an APC 40 thanks, I'd also like to use the Maschine pads too.
  17. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

+1
    This should work properly... It's been a while now.
  18. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

it is very good...but only if your using it for shorter sessions
    ---
    yes it works fine with ableton...it just doesnt have an ableton specific skin like logic and protools have..I switch between Live and Studio One with it seemlessly

it will control any parameter thats shown on your PC/Macs screen...basically you bring the window up on the ipad and your finger works as a mouse

not so great on very fine controls though but great if you want to move elsewhere in the room and make adjustments and has the advantage of the plugins original GUI
  19. TheStreisandEffect

TheStreisandEffect Forum Member

20. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

In my experience Using Maschine to launch clips was not as responsive as the APC40, so that was also a factory.
    If the communication problem is fixed and the clips fire quickly from the mkII then that along with the defineable colors will make Maschine a viable controller for LIVE.