1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Maschine on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by stewpye, Sep 16, 2012.

1. stewpye

stewpye New Member

Hi,

I'm waiting on delivery of a Maschine Mikro. In the meantime I downloaded the demo of Massive and tried it on my laptop. It's a core2 duo T7100 1.8Ghz 2GB RAM running Windows Vista. I'm using the built in audio with ASIO4ALL drivers, and to get it so there are no clicks and pops I need a latency of 1152 samples (30.8ms overall). The CPU is below 30%.

Would using a decent USB audio interface help this at all, or is it more due to a too slow CPU and/or Vista? I'm ordering a midi keyboard and wondering if I should get an audio interface at the same time, or would I be better off getting a faster Win7 laptop first?

I will be mainly using the Maschine on my Win7 desktop machine with my old M-Audio Delta44 for now, but every second weekend I'm out of town so I'd also like to use it on a laptop as well, but I don't know if I can handle 30-40ms of latency...

Regards,
    Stew.
  2. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

An USB audio interface should help. Is there noone you could borrow one from to try? Or even a shop nearby?
    Obviously your laptop specs are a little dated, but 30ms latency can't be due to just the CPU speed. I can't predict how low you can get it with a decent USB card, nor how sensitive you are to it. I would say you can probably get it down to 10ms, but personally I'd still go crazy if I had to play with that much latency.
  3. stewpye

stewpye New Member

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't think of anyone I know that has a USB audio interface I could try. I'm thinking about buying the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

The laptop's not doing too badly considering I bought it in 2007 but it might be time to upgrade soon.

Regards,
    Stew.
    ---
    After looking in to the Scarlett 2i2 some more it seems it has bad latency. I might go with an M-Audio Fast Track or the NI Komplete Audio 6.

Stew.
  4. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

I have a fast track pro and get around 5ms latency total on my current laptop. But that's a quad core i7 with 8GB RAM. On my last laptop I got it down to 7ms reliably (with acceptable cpu load) and that was a core2duo p9500 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM.
  5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

You could try installing asio4all and using that driver with your on-board sound
  6. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

If you read the original post you'll see that that's exactly what he's doing.
  7. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Yes, it would appear I'm an idiot.

@OP - Vista isn't a supported OS. It'll probably work, but you could try going through the Windows tweak guide in the NI knowledgebase to see if you can lose the snaps and crackles. I never got on with Vista, and it isn't considered the best for running low-latency audio tbh.

Also, your specs do look on the low side to me.