Maschine on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by stewpye, Sep 16, 2012.

1. stewpye

stewpye New Member

Hi,

I'm waiting on delivery of a Maschine Mikro. In the meantime I downloaded the demo of Massive and tried it on my laptop. It's a core2 duo T7100 1.8Ghz 2GB RAM running Windows Vista. I'm using the built in audio with ASIO4ALL drivers, and to get it so there are no clicks and pops I need a latency of 1152 samples (30.8ms overall). The CPU is below 30%.

Would using a decent USB audio interface help this at all, or is it more due to a too slow CPU and/or Vista? I'm ordering a midi keyboard and wondering if I should get an audio interface at the same time, or would I be better off getting a faster Win7 laptop first?

I will be mainly using the Maschine on my Win7 desktop machine with my old M-Audio Delta44 for now, but every second weekend I'm out of town so I'd also like to use it on a laptop as well, but I don't know if I can handle 30-40ms of latency...

Regards,
    Stew.
  2. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

An USB audio interface should help. Is there noone you could borrow one from to try? Or even a shop nearby?
    Obviously your laptop specs are a little dated, but 30ms latency can't be due to just the CPU speed. I can't predict how low you can get it with a decent USB card, nor how sensitive you are to it. I would say you can probably get it down to 10ms, but personally I'd still go crazy if I had to play with that much latency.
  3. stewpye

stewpye New Member

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't think of anyone I know that has a USB audio interface I could try. I'm thinking about buying the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

The laptop's not doing too badly considering I bought it in 2007 but it might be time to upgrade soon.

Regards,
    Stew.
    ---
    After looking in to the Scarlett 2i2 some more it seems it has bad latency. I might go with an M-Audio Fast Track or the NI Komplete Audio 6.

Stew.
  4. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

I have a fast track pro and get around 5ms latency total on my current laptop. But that's a quad core i7 with 8GB RAM. On my last laptop I got it down to 7ms reliably (with acceptable cpu load) and that was a core2duo p9500 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM.
  5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

You could try installing asio4all and using that driver with your on-board sound
  6. sanderxpander

sanderxpander New Member

If you read the original post you'll see that that's exactly what he's doing.
  7. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Yes, it would appear I'm an idiot.

@OP - Vista isn't a supported OS. It'll probably work, but you could try going through the Windows tweak guide in the NI knowledgebase to see if you can lose the snaps and crackles. I never got on with Vista, and it isn't considered the best for running low-latency audio tbh.

Also, your specs do look on the low side to me.