1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Maschine Vs. Maschine Mikro

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by elyhess, Oct 12, 2011.

1. elyhess

elyhess New Member

Hey everyone just a quick question, im wondering what the difference is between the Maschine and Maschine Mikro, i know the mikro is more compact, i just want specifications. i will be purchasing soon and i just need to know which i would prefer :)
  2. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

um, maybe check the mikro q&a.... the software is identical if thats what your asking. what "specifications" have you not been able to find with a quick search?
  3. djadonis206

djadonis206 NI Product Owner

The software is the same.
    One's bigger and the other one is small.
    The bigger one has more knobs to turn.
    The bigger one records automation.

The smaller one's menus on display are more straight forward, which I like. For example, selecting events actually tells me the sample/sound I'm selecting. Also, in Pad mode/Keyboard mode there is a simple octave up or down.

They're both awesome. There's no law against getting two.

The software does not timestretch or sidechain. The Maschine song mode is jankey
    ---
    Another annoying problem is the Maschine's software midi out capabilities.

When in stand-alone (not midi-mode) the Maschine does not send out multiple midi channels, like 11 or 16

For example, Geist's scene's are trigger on channels 11 and 16. I have no way of triggering Geist scenes. Transposing down to c-2 does not work.

Also, you cannot route midi to different channels.
  4. elyhess

elyhess New Member

very helpful thanks
  5. djadonis206

djadonis206 NI Product Owner

I apologize for the poor writing above. I wrote all that this morning on my iPhone.

I'm actually not that bad of a communicator.

Plus, I hate bad writing and I especially dislike bad communications.

So again, I apologize
  6. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

I know the feeling. Responding via mobile device is pretty common for me so I know exactly what you mean and to be fair your post really wasn't that bad. :D

To the original poster: If price isn't a factor in your decision making I'd say go with the big version. Being able to record automation is worth the extra cash (but hey that's just my opinion). But either way you end up going, you're gonna love Maschine! :D
  7. BIGpun4EVER

BIGpun4EVER Forum Member

If you have the cash i would go with the original, if not get the mikro. Having full control with all the nobs is nice. You will probably use that the most when tweaking parameters. The mikro can do the same but with less buttons and nobs, so the shortcuts and tweaking will be a lil different but both basically the same cuz they both have to control the same software.

if your looking for something smaller cuz you'll be doing travelling with it then the mikro would be a good choice, but the original is still pretty small in size and easy to travel with.

:D
  8. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

Just so it doesn't confuse some people, we should clarify that you can still record automation even if you get the Mikro, just not with knobs obviously.
  9. elyhess

elyhess New Member

thank you very much!
  10. DrumMachinist

DrumMachinist New Member

Is there any news yet on including parameter automation on the Mikro yet?
  11. Thomas A.

Thomas A. NI Product Owner

It's coming in 1.8
  12. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

13. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

That link took me back in time...
  14. jhsoltero

jhsoltero Forum Member

imho, if you're getting the maschine to use as a sound module, then get the mikro. if you're using it as your main tool then definitely get the maschine. the difference is negligble and you can find a second hand maschine in good condition for the price of a new mikro....but if you're just using it 'on the side' .. mikros go on craigslist around me for $200 or less. it could be a fairly inexpensive way to jump in! but i simply dont see someone getting a mikro as their main tool and not constantly wishing they had its bigger brother lol.
  15. jrapp

jrapp New Member

Maschine as sampler

I primarily want to use maschine as a sampler. I used a friends maschine (not mikro) and loved how I could just cut up a vocal by 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc then use the touch pads to use the sample based off of the 1/4, 1/8 etc selection (if that makes sense), then use the knobs to add effects and pitch up/down, etc.

I am also trying to decide which model to get

Does Mikro allow you to do this also? Is it just as simple to use for sampling as maschine?
  16. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

Sounds like you should get the regular Maschine not the Mikro then.