1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Mountain Lion compatibility

Discussion in 'General DJ Discussion' started by denquek, Jul 7, 2012.

1. denquek

denquek New Member

Hi there, I would like to check if there will be any issues with the coming release of OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) with Traktor and all its interfaces? Has anyone tested it yet?

My Equipment:

early 2011 MacBook Pro 15'/TSP 2/Audio 8 & 10 interface/Reloop Digital Jockey 2ME & 3ME/Technics 1200 MK2
  2. zerbo

zerbo Forum Member

10.8 is NOT compatible with kontrol s4...only noise from master out and software freezing.

do not upgrade
  3. Darrien

Darrien NI Product Owner

4. Seluca

Seluca New Member

I also can confirm that OS X 10.8 Golden Master is NOT working with Traktor Pro 2.5!
    As my MBP is not the 2012 generation, it's not a USB 3.0 issue, as far as I can tell there's some trouble with the soundcard handling of OS X.
    Hope NI already works on updates as 10.8 is going to be released in the next 2 weeks.

If anyone can get Traktor running properly, please let me know! Thx!

FYI: tried with a Audio 8 and also a Kontrol S4, both resulting in the same issue: noise and software freezing
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. xian07

xian07 New Member

6. Seluca

Seluca New Member

THX, it actually DOES work!

i begin to understand why apple refused usb 3.0 for that long if it causes troubles like that - even if you don't have usb 3.0 ports... :)
  7. Darrien

Darrien NI Product Owner

Seriously? Audio 8 on Mountain Lion works using this fix? Yeah baby, yeah! :D
  8. zerbo

zerbo Forum Member

That fix is for usb 3.0 .. If you own a mbp with usb 2.0, the only solution for now is to revert to lion 10.7.X
  9. xian07

xian07 New Member

i used it for an S4, but i think it might work with the Audio 8 as well...
    it is not only about the usb 3.0, it is about the older driver... the new one does things differently, regardless of USB 2 or 3
  10. djmook

djmook NI Product Owner

the linked "solution" does not work on a early 2011 macbook pro running 10.8.

it will cause your keyboard, trackpad, and mouse to stop working.
  11. procrastinator

procrastinator NI Product Owner

you could try using the according kext file from your working OSX install instead of the one that is linked in the post
  12. djmook

djmook NI Product Owner

Actually I got the interface working by disabling sandboxing and playing some sound through it.

Interestingly re-enabling sandboxing didn't trash the sound again. Will post back later if rebooting causes the problem to resurface

Attached Files:

13. monje

monje NI Product Owner

Hello,
    I got Mountain Lion GM 10.8 installed on my MacBook 13-inch mid 2009. I have Maschine, Komplete 8 (plus some other goodies like razor), Traktor 2.5, Kontrol X1.
    All working perfectly, by allowing the install from any developer. Look in the post above me, mook calls it sandboxing. I believe that sandboxing is a different thing, but im not here to argue =D
    Anyway. Everything works, perfectly in my case. Bear in mind that 10.8 feels slower than 10.7.4, and the only nice thing about it its the notification center (imo). If the retail version is as slow as the GM ill downgrade back to lovely 10.7.

Best Regards
  14. frequencym

frequencym NI Product Owner

If that's true then either the drivers aren't signed or are signed by a cert that Apple doesn't recognize. I don't develop for OS X but I do for windows; but the hardest part of fixing that is probably getting an "approved" cert from Apple.

Once the driver is loaded re-enabling sandboxing probably doesn't check existing drivers to unload them, but I bet if you reboot is breaks again.
  15. monje

monje NI Product Owner

I'm sorry, but you're not disabling sandboxing. What you're doing is allowing the install of unsigned apps. Sandboxing keeps working even while you can install ANY application, not only the ones that Big Bro tells you are ok. Once the program, or driver is installed you can turn on the restriction again. It will have NO IMPACT on the programs already installed and run.

This is just to:
    1. Make you buy programs from the app store.
    2. Make you think your usual app developer is bad.
    3. Stop malware from spreading.

Just to recap.
    You can install any program if you disable the restriction to install only signed apps.
    Once the program or driver is installed and run (and executes ok, this is due to the 10.8 novelty) you can do whatever you please with the restriction setting. It doesnt affect whats already running.

On a side note. I'm downgrading as soon as I have the time to do it. All the added goodness of 10.8 slows my computer for no reason. And chews more memory than 10.7.

Best Regards
  16. djmook

djmook NI Product Owner

Update. I was having non-audio related weirdness in the appstore with 10.8 GM so re-installed from the official release yesterday. This trashed the installed driver. So I followed my previous instructions and it didn't work.

I went back and restored the IOUSBFamily.kext from my timemachine backup, restarted and audio started working again.

From this I'm guessing what fixed it before was my manual restoring of the original kext after failing to load the one from the other thread. By doing so, something about the kext properties changed, perhaps the sandbox policy was reset.

In any case I am posting the kext here for reference:
    http://markcarey.org/f/IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Hopefully NI release a driver update that overcomes these issues out of the box.
  17. Ves

Ves NI Product Owner

Just tried it out. Working on with 2.5.1 and the beta driver for my A8DJ. MBP Late 2011.
  18. Kargy

Kargy New Member

any new impressions on 10.8 with beta drivers on macbook 2011?
  19. monje

monje NI Product Owner

I downgraded from 10.8 to 10.6. I'm soooooo happy with 10.6! My computer is incredibly fast again!

I wouldnt recommend installing 10.8 unless your computer won't work without it, or you desperately want (or need) some of it's features. I know a lot of you wouldn't go around without the latest and shiniest (I know, I used to be like that) but apple is slowly transforming Mac OSX into a NES.

Best Regards
  20. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

I'd like to know driver latency differences etc.