1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

.mprj Corrupted file

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Muhklayne, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Muhklayne

Muhklayne New Member

Hi. When I attempted to open Maschine to continue work on this project I've been working on forever, easily the best beat I've ever made, I was given an error message stating:

"Error loading project file

C:\Users\...\...\...\...\.mprj.

Error: This project filed cannot be opend. The file appears to be corrupted."

Yes, the word "opened" is spelled incorrectly in the message.

Is there ANY WAY at all to save this file? :angry:

wtf NI
  2. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

chill out,

copy, rename and resave - that always worked for me, it's happened about 3 times in 3 years.

make sure there is absolutely NOTHING behind/after j in the .mprj - delete any invisible spaces when saving with new name.
  3. Muhklayne

Muhklayne New Member

I apologize, I've just put quite a lot of work into it to have it suddenly up and corrupt.

I attempted to make a copy of the file and resave it, then renamed it. However, it still is unable to open due to corruption.

Any other ideas or tips?

I appreciate the response.
  4. THE WIDOWMAKER

sorry dude that's the only way I have ever managed to open a file when it's gone bad...i feel for ya because when mine went i too was like WTF but luckily this method worked.
    daft question - you haven't gone backwards on maschine updates or anything?

do you want to PM me the project file and i will see if it opens?
  5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

To stop this happening again, backup! Your computer's OS is more than capable of currupting any file on your HD at any time! And rename your saves:

mysong 20110424 2

= 2nd project save on the 24th April. I increase this number whenever I make a significant change to the tune. You have the added plus of being able to go back to a previous version of it.
  6. THE WIDOWMAKER

interesting method, probably a lesson there for us all.
  7. Gwood

Gwood New Member

did u hit up tech support to see about this
    ---
    were your projects on your cpu harddrive or external?
  8. Gwood

Gwood New Member

It was simple did u make sure update was completed fixed it for me
  9. Muhklayne

Muhklayne New Member

What update are you talking about...? My software is version 1.7.2....

I'm really upset. Still haven't retrieved it six months later.
  10. bergilein

bergilein New Member

got the same problem... this is just so f*cked up! worked >30 hours on that track. are there really no options?
  11. Gwood

Gwood New Member

I thought mu 1.7.2 was installed but wasnt once it got installed it worked np
  12. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

Yes, make sure you have successfully updated to 1.72 Click the NI logo at the top and see what version it displays. If that is not it then it may be lost.
  13. content

content Forum Member

Holy crap this just happened to a track i spent countless hours on for a second time now! Does anyone know how to fix this? Seriously, please. This is ridiculous NI!
  14. cducketts

cducketts New Member

make a copy of the file and rename it using .mprj

that should solve your problem....
  15. content

content Forum Member

I don't get what you mean. I have renamed the file "lost file.mprj" or just "lost file." Hell, I even named it just ".mprj" and I'm still just getting that stupid "file cannot be opend" message. This is ****ing ridiculous. I just lost another project for no reason at all other than shoddy NI coding.
  16. cducketts

cducketts New Member

copy and paste the file into the same folder and make sure you rename the copied file i.e. "lostfile.mprj". that's what works for me.
  17. content

content Forum Member

Unfortunately that didn't work for me. I have a ticket into Tech Support so I'll post back when I know more.
  18. theking21

theking21 New Member

How i fixed this

Okay so i recently had the same problem. I was trying to save and my file crashed and i lost all my work or at least i thought i did, keep in mind your work is NOT lost! So all that showed up was a back up file of my project. I did what everyone said which was rename the file to .mprj but that didnt work. So heres how to fix it.

First of all i was running on Windows 8 when the problem happened. The good news here is your work is not lost if your backup file is there all your work is still there. The bad news is i dont really know how to fix it on windows, i had a backup Mac laptop i was able to use to fix it, so if you dont have a mac im sorry, i dont know what you should do. Anyways for some reason the mac is able to fix the backup file and restore it back to a NI file. Weird, I know. So i installed Maschine on the mac because i never use the mac, i moved my corrupted file(backup file) to the mac via USB, and THEN i renamed the file. The mac will then ask you if you want to keep the file as .BAK or if you want to change to .MPRJ. Its almost as if the mac changes the file completely for you because i noticed the icon even changed back to Native instruments when i renamed to mprj, something my windows is unable to do for some reason.

Hope this helps some of you.
    ---
    I should add to my post when i said the mac changed it to the native instruments file icon, theres a difference between the Native instruments project file icon and Maschine icon. The mac changed it to the native instruments project file icon whereas my windows 8 pc changed it to the Maschine icon. Weird...

Native instruments project file icon(Mac): Look at the icon below the highlighted file.

http://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hub/media/1078/7819/2d.png

Maschine icon (Windows)

http://img.informer.com/icons/png/48/3398/3398991.png
  19. BIT_IFFY

BIT_IFFY Forum Member

These sort of things do happen. It may not be the fault of the program, it could be your operating system. The best way to avoid these problems is to change the name each save ie: .....song v1.0 song v1.1 song v1.2 etc

If you do that every so often you will be ok. I do it every 15 to 30 mins. On top of backing the project up, you also get a succession of history. Also backing up to another disk at the end of the session.
  20. theking21

theking21 New Member

I agree but i realized Maschine likes to crash when theres a lot of VSTs running at the same time..i always try to clean them up by freezing them to an audio file if i know im not going to be making anymore changes to it. You could still add FX to it though