Properly recording vocals with A/I and Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by GroGerEffects, Sep 28, 2012.

1. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this type of question has been answered many times.

The Maschine has given me tons of fun and I now know exactly what I want to do with it. I just have a couple questions that need to be answered.

I want to record vocals and my saxophone while hearing them live as I do this. I have watched many videos on this but they all are geared towards guitars. I cannot seem to figure out how to do this correctly. I am able to get to the point where I can hear what is coming through my microphone but maschine does not record it (setting up my pad sound as "input" ext1). How does one accomplish this?

Also, should I be plugging my headphones into my A/I when I record or into my MacBook?

Equipment:

MacBook
    Zoom H4N Recording Device (Used as A/I)
    Shure SM58
    Axiom 49 Midiboard
    Maschine

Thanks!
  2. aerux

aerux New Member

Yep sounds like you're almost there, you probably just need to click start?
  3. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

Ah ok. I now realized that I didn't ask my question right and it probably looked pretty stupid. I was hitting start but unable to hear myself as I spoke. I have resolved this.

I was assuming I could just record vocals over my tracks and not have to sample it with a pad.

How to most people record high quality vocals then? Drop the file into audacity or something and track with that?

Noobie apologies.
  4. Fuselier

Fuselier Forum Member

I probably wouldnt use MAschine for recording high quality lead vocals or other acoustic instruments. Maschine isn't really built for it. Get a DAW and use Maschine as a plug in or export your Maschine tracks to the DAW. But then you are stuck with which DAW to get if you dont have one. There are dozens of DAWS out there. Reaper is excellent and very cheap especially with the never ending evaluation should you be financially destitiute. Ableton is very popular and very simple to use and if you have a mac then many people swaer by Logic...Maschine will work inside all of these.
  5. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

Okay. I appreciate the replies everyone!

I will get a hold of logic and ableton and see where that takes me. Ableton may be the best bet as I eventually want to incorporate Tractor into my gear.
  6. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

I agree and it also helps to use the sampling sync mode since it makes sampling start with the sequence along with the ability to set a desired length.
  7. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

I see.

I have just been using the sampling function to lay down verses and my saxophone solos. Its been working out alright.

This may be a simple problem: I am programming the pad with my verse on it as a "one hit" so the sample plays for the duration of sixteen bars or whatever. When I hit stop on the maschine the sample will keep playing until its done. Any way around this?

I am still gonna pick up a copy of logic because it seems that I will need to learn a more advanced DAW eventually. I am just down with the hands on approach of Maschine.

feedbackl00p, when recording my friends guitar with my H4N the recording is very quiet on Maschine. Should I be using a pre amp or something to make the recording louder?
  8. conghal

conghal New Member

In 1.8 you can press shift+mute to stop everything, I think.
    I like using reaper to record vocals. It is a nice bit of software and I like that they make it accesible and affordable. Plus it only takes like a minute to download it and try it out.
  9. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

Another one for reaper. I might as well give it a shot. Thanks bud.
  10. GroGerEffects

GroGerEffects New Member

Word. A buddy of mine just hooked me up with an M Audio DI Box. Looking forward to running my bass and guitar through it.

Thanks.
  11. Ganaud

Ganaud New Member

Hope I'm not threadjacking but on a side note: How do you do this? I would love to be able to use Maschine's sequencing features to rearrange songs after I add vocals (in Reaper I find this clunky, because I have to rearrange Maschine tracks in the Maschine plugin AND vocal tracks in Reaper). I already know how to record simple, short samples with Maschine but would like hints on sampling and sequencing verse-length samples. Are there any tutorials or could you explain how to lay a whole verse down and get it synched properly? I have trouble with synching. Do I just need to learn Time Stretch?

Thanks all for your valuable insights on this thread.
  12. doubleohseven

doubleohseven New Member

Hey guys, I'm seeking advice on how to use my Blue Yeti USB Microphone with NI Maschine on my Macbook 10.9 Mavericks. the only way I can record my vocals with the Yeti is if I change my Machine audio preferences to Yeti itself then plugging my headphones into the yeti and using it as the audio output in one. I would like to just have the output come out of my headphones but use the yeti by itself as a mic input. any suggestions?
    thanyou.
  13. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

14. doubleohseven

doubleohseven New Member