Setting up CDJ-350's for Traktor

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by kiss-o-matic, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiss-o-matic

kiss-o-matic Forum Member

Aight, did a little RTFM and figured out how to get the Mac to recognize my CDJ-350's. I've never mapped anything before, so before I get too far I want to confirm I'm doing this properly.

I'm in the Controller Mapping part of Traktor's preferences.
    I've got device set to Generic Midi. The default for "In Port" is "All Ports" but I can't seem to learn any button presses. When I set that to the target CDJ-350, I'm in good shape. I set the cue & play button and it seems to be okay. However, I'm using the default VCI-100 mapping (no mixer yet). Seems weird that the two devices mappings are clumped together. Maybe that's just me.
  2. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

you got them already? how are they? i thought they arent out yet

review?

i just sold off my 400s and bought a pair of cdj900s coz i couldnt be bothered to wait for the 350s but i was thinking of them as an option before, just wanna know what i missed out on
  3. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

Check that the VCI part of your mapping is alsi set to the VCI only and not to All ports.. oetherwise there will be conflicts ;)
  4. kiss-o-matic

ZILCH: Yeah, I picked them up yesterday. I've barely had time to get them out of the box. It's Father's Day, so maybe my wife will let me play with them all day. As you can see, I've not committed to a mixer yet (and after talking to the guy at the shop I'm even more confused on what I want) so I'll just use my VCI for a bit.

As for the review: can't say yet. They're lighter than I thought, but I've little experience w/ the 400's. I've not had a pair in my house since the CDJ-30's. :/

Please don't be jealous of my rockin' speakers. :)

Setup

goonzy: Thanks... something didn't feel right. However, I'm a bit lost now. It seems logical that when I change my In-port, the table would change. IE, if I select my Vesax PC-Controller, only those mappings show. If I change it to one of the CDJ's, only those show. That's not the case though.

If you look at the In Ports image below, you can see the devices I have. The CDJs aren't in the out ports but I guess that's okay. If you look at the bottom 2 mappings (to Deck C) those were made w/ the CDJ-350. Everything seems to be w/ CH01, so I'm assuming that's no good.

There's surprisingly very little on this in the manual. :(
    Also note that, as before, I'm using the default VCI-100 .tsi file.

In Ports
    Out Ports

EDIT: Okay, played around some more. I've got the basic idea, although I have two specific issues that I can't figure out:

Overall, when an increment and decrement feature share the same button, how does Traktor know which way it went? For example, I can map the List Select Up/Down to the rotary button by the display on the CDJ-350. I enter it twice: once for Dec, once for Inc... but either direction is the same signal. So, one trumps the other (and Traktor highlights them in the selection table as it notices the conflict.

The tempo bend suffers from the same. It can learn one way properly, but not the other. I also set it to "Button:Hold", but whenver I nudge the jog shuttle, the pitch bend button in Traktor stays enabled (the midi signal at the top of Traktor goes out though).

EDIT Again: Just to make sure, I ran a midi snooper. Seems any movements of the jog always end with a message #64 which I'm assuming is "off". So, all fingers point to me being stupid... For now.
  5. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

wow so they are out - im thinking of getting the djm350s to accompany my 900s coz after spending so much on the 900s, the wife would kill me if i get the djm800s!

i had an option of either getting a pair of cdj 350s and a djm800 or a pair of cdj900s and a djm350 - i chose the latter or maybe i'll just pick up an ecler nuo instead - still deciding
  6. kiss-o-matic

I hear ya. I actually sold a ton of crap so my better half wouldn't do a revenge shopping spree. Before I bought them I was like, "Look... I've still got a surplus from the clean out I did... don't freak". I think I'll still be up after I buy a used DJM-800.

I thought about 2 900's but I just can't justify the cost & extra features. Maybe on a better year.
  7. kiss-o-matic

Okay, I will update what is starting to look like my blog. The track select knob thing goes in as an encoder & viola, works. Now, to get over this little nightmare w/ the jogs and I can finally get naked and enjoy these things!

EDIT: This is what the midi program says the 350 outputs with a very slight shifting of the jog (the ring, not the top).

Code:
    21:25:56.699    From PIONEER CDJ-350    Control 1       General Purpose 1 (fine) 58
    21:25:56.715    From PIONEER CDJ-350    Control 1       General Purpose 1 (fine) 59
    21:25:56.731    From PIONEER CDJ-350    Control 1       General Purpose 1 (fine) 58
    21:25:56.763    From PIONEER CDJ-350    Control 1       General Purpose 1 (fine) 61
    21:25:56.779    From PIONEER CDJ-350    Control 1       General Purpose 1 (fine) 64

That's an encoder, not a button, right?
  8. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

hmm im surprised that you cant use the cdj400 presets - they have more buttons but everything else is almost identical? im pretty sure in the next update of traktor they will include hid support for the 350

also, i noticed theres no reverse button in cdj350? im surprised, its not that hard at all to include this (well if they can include vinyl mode which sort of let u play backwards manually)
  9. kiss-o-matic

Well, I didn't try that. :) It was suggested to me in the Pioneer forums so maybe I'll give that a go after work today.
  10. Dj-Goody

Dj-Goody NI Product Owner

Why are you using MIDI? The CDJ-350 supports connections via HID which is much more accurate and supports feedback features like displaying the track information on the CDJ display.

You'll need only two things: The driver from Pioneer and support inside Traktor.

The difference in the driver between CDJ-400 and CDJ-350 should be quite small. Maybe TS 1.26 already supports the CDJ-350 natively via HID.

There is an other device (IIRC a denon mixer) which is also supported in TS 1.26 and NI told this long after releasing the 1.26 update. Maybe the CDJ-350 is also already included, but not jet documented.
  11. Thyan

Thyan New Member

No support so far...

I too have the cdj-350's. I hooked them up on a djm-400 Mixer and connected the whole lot to my pc.

I got eveything to work, but in Traktor the HID support does NOT work.
    I don't think Native actually allready made a update for this, since my Traktor Pro IS up to date. It would be nice if they will make this update since getting the track info on my display would be great, and i guess there will be a better jog wheel support also then? Cause at the moment it is not very great through the MIDI settings.

So Native, please hurry with the HID supprt ;-) It would be mostly appreciated!

Regards,

Kristof
  12. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

if hid is supported with cdj350s, as soon as he plugged the cdj350s in it will prompt him on the cdj's screen : "DECK A? or DECK B?" in which you can use the track search knob to choose

hid is nothing more than a "factory pre-mapped midi" , NI says "in hid the latency is a lot lower and more responsive blah blah blah" - bollocks , platter latency is still terrible LOL! i still use timecode on a usb with the 900s to get the optimum platter latency - wish they will work on this in a future version of traktor so i can use hid and map the 900 buttons

i assumed when he plugged the cdj350s in nothing happened (no response whatsoever from traktor) thats why he needed to go to the mapping menu and map things by himself

i suppose you can try opening the default cdj400 mapping from the menu and see if it works
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  13. kiss-o-matic

This is exactly right. But note I've only used Traktor a year, and that's been on a VCI-100. I had to fumble about just to understand what I was supposed to do in the Midi Mapping area as you can tell from the original posts.

They're sitting right next to me, but I need to finish cleaning up some of today's crap. :D I'll have another beer and post again in a few hours.
  14. kiss-o-matic

Okay, tried adding it as a CDJ-400 and that got me nowhere. Thyan, how did you get your jogs mapped?
  15. Thyan

Thyan New Member

I will check at home the correct configuration, if only i had all of the hard (and soft)ware here at work ;-)
    ---
    what i can say is do not use the pioneer cdj-400 option in controller manager, you really have to IMPORT a tsi file for the pionee cdj-400 (and not the dummy one that is located in you traktor folder). Check google for a good CDJ-400 TSI.
  16. kiss-o-matic

So that's how you did it? Just did "Import" and viola? I'll give that a shot. But I think I'm going to crash for now. This Monday really bent me over.
  17. kiss-o-matic

Apparently I drank too much tonight to do this right. Crashd & burned.
  18. Thyan

Thyan New Member

i will post some print screens of my setup in controller manager later this evening.
    Should get things cleared out for you.
    Important is that you push the "display/utility" button on your cdj's, keep them pushed in, and then you can assign 1 cdj as channel 1 (with the select/push knob) and the other one as channel 2.
  19. kiss-o-matic

Cool, thanks. I've gotten them to go down separate channels... it's just matching the Tempo Pitch is the issue. :/
  20. kiss-o-matic

Anything?

I loaded the preconfigured CDJ-400 TSI and there is no Tempo Bend mapping which I found weird. I did another one and it had Tempo Bend (stateless) mapped to "Jog" with a modifier. Was never able to come up with anything after some trial and error.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.