1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

standardize MIDI note assignments in supplied kits

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by DoctorK, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorK

DoctorK Forum Member

Greetings,

Battery 3 is great. Thank you NI. Thank you.

It would be very useful if the default MIDI assignments could be standardized to the extent possible between the supplied kits. For example, so a closed HH sound is always produced by the same midi note number. Currently, out of the box Battery kits seem note-mapped in a strange and random way.

I am using Battery3 with a zendrum for live performance. Great combination. So I set up my pads so that in one kit, I've got a closed HH sound under my right finger, for example. In another kit, the same MIDI note number is assigned to an open HH sound. There are lots of inconsistencies like this within the Battery 3 library. It would be a huge help if these inconsistencies could be reduced. This would facilitate my setting things up, and also would be very helpful for previewing kits in recorded midi sequences.

Some words of explanation regarding the midi note assignments would also be a helpful addition to the manual, if there is already some rhyme or reason to the setups. If there is logic behind the setups, we users should not be relied on to discern it! If there is no logic behind the setups, it would be useful to create some.

with thanks for your efforts

DrK
  2. soulfry

soulfry New Member

All of what he said :)
  3. dr.kribben

dr.kribben NI Product Owner

Hmmm.
    I also thought about that feature a short time ago...but:

Don't you think Batterys concept is too flexible for that?

Some kits could have for example....
    ...one snare and 3 closed HiHat or ...
    ...4 snares and only 1 HiHat or...
    ...4 of same snare and 4 of same HiHat only with different Mic.Pos (great thing BTW! :)

Which of the "same style instrument doubles" should be programmed on the standard key? In the end it's the wrong one again for your taste and you must change the key.

There exist the GM-standard but the list is too long for the varying kit sizes I think: the GM-map would have too many gaps with Battery-kits.

You should prepare the keys for a number of kits for your live acts (is this not always a good idea?)
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. DoctorK

DoctorK Forum Member

Flexibility is a good thing. The absence of standardization (or detailed documentation) slows down setting up (or even previewing) the kits. Of course kits can be built out of all the good stuff included with Battery. Standardization would not constrain the flexibility. It would improve usability, in my opinion.

DrK
  5. soulfry

soulfry New Member

I agree with DoctorK. To add to his comments, you don't need to standardize the entire kit to get some benefits. Even if you standardized the MIDI for 16 of the most basic instruments, that would be a win, because then you'd be able to swap kits in and out with a running beat to be able to hear how each sounds with the beat.

The flexibility to customize the number of rows and columns is, at first blush, a good thing, but in the end, you still need to map back to MIDI to trigger them. And in the end, your MIDI device is probably going to be the same one, time after time, which means you have to constantly remap the Battery kits to conform to your MIDI device. Providing a means to automatically map to your MIDI device would be helpful, and standardizing at least a portion of the factory kit layouts would be helpful.
  6. Cairns

Cairns Forum Member

I agree with Doctor K all the way.. and Soulfry's quote

This is right on. Most people use Midi controllers now.. this should have been thought through more clearly. The thing is guys will they actually read this and improve or are they done with B3..
  7. PM33AUD

PM33AUD New Member

Agreed... I use GM Drum map and just alter all the 'weird' sets to add more cymbals n stuff. There is a GM2 template in battery though... when I create a new kit I just load this or save-as an existing kit with the proper maps assigned.

A naming assignment feature would be nice though... Some thing you'd select and it would rename and reassign the notes based on some template (maybe if users could SAVE their own note assignments?).

BTW - do you guys have issues with getting your DAW's midi map notes to map directly to battery's midi notes? I can't get C3 to trigger "C3" in battery. I have to shift it to C1 in battery... ?

Phil
  8. DoctorK

DoctorK Forum Member

Hello - I have found that some of my gear & software varies by two octaves on the MIDI notes - i.e., C3 on some = C1 on others. Battery 3 has an option to transpose MIDI in by octaves (see the options page under the file menu). I'll bet adjusting that will help you.

peace

Mark
  9. PM33AUD

PM33AUD New Member

Yea, that's how I'm fixing it now, but now for some reason when I click on the cell I cannot preview it anymore... I can only preview it when I click a 'hit' from the DAW's piano roll... kinda sucks... I posted this issue in the technical section...

Thanks!
    Phil
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.