1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

traktor kontrol s4 not working!

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by seshwan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. seshwan

seshwan New Member

Hi, before i was using a logitech z5500 sound system that used a 3.5mm connector, and i had that connected to the laptop sound in and used an ASIO4ALL driver to use traktor instead of the regular traktor kontrol s4 driver option (because i wasn't using a system that uses RCA). When using that i couldn't use headphones, record anything, etc because it wasn't a fully functional option.. so i traded the logitech pc system for an industrial bose sub, couple monitor speakers, and an amp/receiver.

When i play with the traktor kontrol s4 driver (2.9.4 driver) the sound crackles, cuts, distorts and eventually just stops playing... when i update the driver to the recent 3.0.0, traktor won't even start when i hit play.... i use windows 7 on a Sony VAIO laptop, whats wrong with all of this?
  2. Hey-DJ

Hey-DJ Forum Member

Many would argue it's your laptop. Supposedly MAC is the way to go. I personally have a quad core 2.5ghz pc, and it works great! Every now and then, I get a minor issue, but nothing AK far that has made me switch to mac just yet. What are the specs of your laptop?
  3. seshwan

seshwan New Member

it's got a quad-core @ 1.73 GHz, 4gig ram, 64 bit operating system... i dont have the $ to get a fast macbook... if thats the case what options do i have? can i overclock my laptop to help this problem?
  4. KLH

KLH Forum Member

You should use the S4 driver - either the 2.9.4 or 3.0.0. ASIO4ALL isn't supported.

Lulwut? You traded a computer speaker system for a home-theater system? If you want to use it, disable ALL surround processing and put it in "direct" mode.

It sounds like a couple of things. First, have you optimized your system for low-latency audio streaming? NI has a guide on this in the stickies. Second, adjust your latency so that you don't get any dropouts or glitches.

-KLH
  5. bimbongr

bimbongr NI Product Owner

6. seshwan

seshwan New Member

I've tried all the optimizing tips on the sticky, downloaded and tried each kontrol s4 driver, updated laptop drivers, tried each buffer option on audio settings and i still get the high crackling sounds every couple seconds, distortions and full drops... the 2.9.8 driver works better for me then the 3.0 and 2.9.4, it just has a little more time in between the sound distortions... is there nothing i can do with this laptop? will i have to go get a faster one....?
  7. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

Are you still trying to route the sound through the laptop sound card or the S4 sound card? I am not to clear on that.

Have you tried the latency utility in Traktor? It tells you, if you still have latency issues and if you do, which is probably the case, then you probably didn't follow the optimization articles correctly.

I would venture to say, your quad core computer should be sufficient enough to play Traktor without any sound artifacts. So keep working on your computer setup.

scamo
  8. DJ TJ

DJ TJ New Member

@seshwan

Ok ... ASIO4ALL is supported... used it myself... not the problem... your lappy is good enough to run the system with no glitches... What is the OS that you are using... There is a Known Issue with the Kontrol S4 driver and Windows 7 do don't panic... I have the same issue using the Kontrol S4 sound card.. and to be honest... it's just as basic as most of the interfaces out there...

Here's the tip to test performance... Do a profile flush...
    Create a new windows user profile called (whatever you like) and load into it... this will be a fresh registry and startup and so forth (extra software won't run, it's almost like having a cleanup) Start Traktor in the new profile and give it a go using the ASIO4ALL. DON"T route the ASIO4ALL sound through the S4 this is just like double processing and will seriously take a toll on the system...

Good Luck
  9. scamo

I don't think his goal is to get ASIO4ALL working. I think it is to get the S4 with the sound card running.

Best bet as always is to:

Upgrade to the latest TP2. My suggestion is at least TP 2.0.2.
    Upgrade to the most up-to-date sound card driver. 3.0.0 Here!

Try also the attached batch file. Unpack the file (should be killscript3.bat) on your desktop and start it as an admin user. It will ask you if you want to "if you want to optimize your laptop for a gig".

Thanks to SmiTTTen, DJ Trancicted, Stashe for putting in the effort to create this helpful batch file.

scamo

Attached Files:

10. DJ TJ

DJ TJ New Member

@SCAMO

You are right... the best solution is to get the S4 sound card working... But turning your lappy into a big traktor paperweight is not a long term solution... NI need to sort out the driver issues for win7....

PEACE
    ---
    I Recommend that all persons that have other soundcards (recording Quality) use them for performance level applications for the S4... (windows Only) all those who don't ... need to use the killscript... But please remember... this killscript is not warranted and may cause damage to your computer. Not only that But you can forget using your computer for anything else other than traktor once it's active... It is temporary I know but a big pain in the arse to reboot every time you want to load your Ipod or something... Many people have stated that the PC's are not up to standard but... there are a bunch of people out there with PC bases lappy's with 100% more spec than that of some MAC users... and the MAC have no issue's... But those PC 's do... this is plainly a Driver design Flaw that needs to be adressed...

Peace
  11. scamo

Hmm...

Yes, the file is to be used at everyones own risk. Which is a good point. But saying it may cause damage to your computer is a bit extreme, isn't it? I mean, restarting your computer, after starting the file and should things not work right, gets you back to square one, right? What could damage the computer?

scamo
  12. DJ TJ

DJ TJ New Member

Do you know what is in the code in the killscript...? I mean I've seen the earlier posts with the code... but is that exactly whats in it? there is no way to find out... When I'm not DJ'ing I'm managing a large IT Support department and Designing large security networks... These scripts should be done by each individual... 1 Line of code that is meant to cause harm will... If certain windows services are stopped, then you do work on it some dependant services may not have the ability to replicate the job to be done the next time you start up.... Just a thought....

Peace
    ---
    I mean think about it this way....

You go and buy a new engine for your car from a good, well known mechanic. This mechanic tells you that this engine will work in your model and make and powered car. Then when you go to install the new engine you find that it fits but it doesn't run. You then take it back to the mechanic and tell him that it's not working properly... the car used to run 100% better than this.. then he checks your installation and finds that it is all satisfactory.. So to his conclusion the rest of the car is not working right... so he tells you to take off the tyres and the windscreen and the exhaust and the doors and so forth... when the engine is purring like a kitten he says there you go all fixed... When you go to drive away..... well you can imagine......:):eek:
  13. scamo

Um, the batch file is text and yes, the code in the threads is what is in it. I actually copied and pasted it myself. Since it is text, you can see the code in an editor and read exactly what is being carried out. Each request to stop a service also has to be confirmed by the user. Sure, someone who has no idea what the service is for might not know the real answer. I don't either. But I highly doubt the guys put something in the code that would cause real damage. I've used the script effectively a few time already. (albeit, at home, not at any Gig). So yes, use at own risk, but I don't see any critical risk.

scamo
  14. smitttten

smitttten Forum Member