1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Traktor Scratch vs non-scratch?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by bart3k, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bart3k

bart3k New Member

I am really curious to see how many people think that they will always use vinyl even if it is digitized? I understand that it will have the same feel for most DJ's but is it as versatile as what can be done nowadays using something like the CDJ-400's?

Bart
  2. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

I don't think the CDJ-400 can do anything in particular that Traktor Scratch + vinyl control can't.

The beauty of TS to me is the marrying of vinyl control to things like loops and fx that was previously the domain of CDJ players / certain mixers.

I also like the 'feel' of top end CD players such as the CDJ1000 and CDJ800. I would still use these in combination with TS rather than as standalone units as its great having all my music in one easily searchable collection. Even the USB equipped CDJ400 doesn't have the intuitive full screen browser control of TS.
  3. Bleeding Machine

Bleeding Machine NI Product Owner

A skratch DJ will tell you a CDJ of any sorts can't really emulate a TT properly since they require the large radius of the Record for precision and a lot of techniques utilize the behavior of TT itself.
    I'm not saying it can't be done on a CD-400 persay but I don't think most would bother.
  4. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

^^^

Yeah, I'd forgotten that some scratch techniques specifically require a turntable or needle.
  5. bart3k

bart3k New Member

How about the sensitivity of Traktor Scratch? I talked to a friend and he said that it was a bit of a nightmare.

Also I was told that the tunes a lot of the time can lose sync because of the hardware/software interface? Is this true?

Bart
  6. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

Don't worry about the sensitivity. If you can scratch, you can scratch with Traktor. That's how simple it is... The only thing is when you do reaaaaaaaaal slow moves you can hear the digitalside of it, but that's the same with Serato from what I've heard from friends. And really, nobody is going to do such slow moves...

All I can say is: it's just like mixing/scratching vinyl. As long as you have a decent laptop so you can set your latency low enough. Mine is now at 2,5 ms, haven't even tried to set it lower 'cos it works good enough for me that way. I mean, When I scratch or mix my body is not even as precise as 1ms so it won't make such a difference...

What do you mean by losing sync exactly?
  7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

regarding very slow scratches, TS is superior to serato in terms of sound quality.
    anyways, DVS systems today are good enough for serious turntablism, but i'd not use a cd player.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.