Trouble installing Guitar Rig 4

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by StevenMikel, Jun 9, 2011.

1. StevenMikel

StevenMikel Forum Member

I bought the upgrade to Guitar Rig 4 from Guitar Rig 3LE.When I try to install it I get a message that says the installer is unabel to uninstall an old version of Guitar Rig 4.The only versionf of Guitar Rig 4 I have is the Guitar Rig Player that came with Komplete 7 Players.When I try to uninstall it ,it won't come off of my pc.I do the uninstall and it says its been removed from my system but,its still there.I've tried this several times and have even restarted my pc a few times but,the Guitar Rig 4 Player is still there.
  2. DAH

DAH Forum Member

''I bought the upgrade to Guitar Rig 4 from Guitar Rig 3LE.When I try to install it I get a message that says the installer is unabel to uninstall an old version of Guitar Rig 4.''

+1

I'm pulling my hair out over this one too. I've tried every uninstall/install I can think of. Deleted references to Guitar Rig from my Registry under Registry Edit;

-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\NAT IVE INSTRUMENTS
    -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NA TIVE INSTRUMENTS

Still no joy. I am getting a windows 7 error #2718 with: Guitar Rig 4.1.1 Setup PC

'The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2718.'

And then;

'Unable to uninstall old version of Native instruments Guitar rig 4. Please uninstall it yourself using Control Panel Add-Remove Programs before attempting to install this product.

Fatal error during installation.'

(a) There is no 'old version' or otherwise entry of Guitar Rig on my Laptop.
    (b) I also looked with Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner.

Downloaded, redownloaded and ran CCleaner (to find registry errors etc) etc ...

I followed this Microsoft advice in relation to the error # (2718):

1. Check if Windows installer service is set to automatic. Steps to follow:
    a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box
    b. Search for the service 'Windows Installer'
    c. Right click on the service
    d. If the service is stopped then Start the service
    e. To start the service right click on windows installer and select Properties
    f. And in the Start-up type select Automatic

I initially registered Guitar Rig 3LE (Computer Music Version). I was trying to update from the last version of Guitar Rig 4 Pro to Guitar_Rig_4_420U_PC. Everything was working prior to this attempted update. Have now uninstalled GR3LE and all GR4 entries and all of my add-on packs for GR4Pro (Reflektor, Rammfire, Traktors 12) just in case. And, uninstalled 'NI Combos' which came with ACID, and removed all traces from the Registry!

If I try to run Guitar_Rig_4_420U_PC directly, it says; no previous installer found.

Have downloaded the NI Support Tool:

(a) Deleted Guitar Rig 3 Folder from: Documents\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 3
    (b) No entry for Guitar rig in 'NI_support_HKCU'
    (c) No entry for Guitar rig in 'NI_support_HKLM'
    (d) Read 'NI_Support_HKLM_shell' and deleted references to 'Controller Editor' from NI ProgramData Folders
    (e) Looked at 'NI_support_HKLM_WOW' and found no entry for Guitar Rig
    (f) Looked at 'NI_support_log' and found no entry for Guitar Rig
    (g) Looked at 'NI_support_plugs' and found no entry for Guitar Rig
    (h) Looked at 'NI_support_shell' and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kore Player\PlugIns\ and deleted Guitar Rig 3.dll and Guitar Rig 4.dll
    (i) Found nothing useful in: 'NI_support_WMI' or 'NI_Support_HKCU_shell' or '[Content_Types].xml'
    (j) Scanned Registry for errors again with CCleaner
    (k) Ran 'Guitar Rig 4.1.1 Setup PC.exe' again
    (l) Same error # again
    (j) Searched the rather massive 'NI_support_apps.txt' file and found no entry for Guitar Rig.
    (k) Searched the even more massive 'NI_support_content.txt' file (which exceeded the maximum number of pages if pasted into Microsoft Office Word) and found no entry for Guitar Rig. I own a lot of NI (direct and 3rd party) Gear.
    (l) Couldn't think of anything I hadn't tried already so I re-scanned the Registry with CCleaner for errors.

(j) Checked with The Service Center (again) and no Guitar Rig installs are present.

That's the short version of it!

Laptop: SONY VAIO VPCEB1E0E
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. StevenMikel

StevenMikel Forum Member

I used Windows Install Clean Up to uninstall the old version of Guitar Rig 4 then, installed the new update(Guitar Rig 4.2) and that took care of my problem.
  4. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Thanks for your reply.

Windows Installer Clean Up

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

''The Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) that was previously referred to in this article resolved some installation problems but sometimes caused issues with other programs or components that are installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center.''

I managed to get it from Softpedia and Ran it. No luck!

I reinstalled Guitar Rig 3 LE and did a Deep Scan Uninstall with Revo uninstaller.

Tried to Install Guitar Rig 4.1.1 Setup PC.exe (before re-running the latest update) but got the same error number again.

Now I'm trying out various 'Fix-It' solutions and How to use the ''System File Checker tool (to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7)'': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Result: Found no integrity violations.

Now I'm looking at file paths to several editions of Guitar Rig in the Native Instruments ProductHints.xml (C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Service Center\conf).
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. DAH

DAH Forum Member

I have reinstalled all of my Add-On Packs for GR4Pro without any problems. I have also repaired any damage to Kore 2 Player. I am now writing to Support to see how they can advise me further. There must be a reference somewhere on my Laptop that the installer Guitar Rig 4.1.1 Setup PC.exe is seeing, and that is why it is failing. I have downloaded and re-downloaded the installers (even using different Browsers) just in case they could actually be corrupted while downloading.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. StevenMikel

StevenMikel Forum Member

The problem I had was the old version of GR4.As soon as I removed the old version GR4 with Windows Install Clean Up my trouble went away,GR4.2 installed with no problem at all.
  7. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Thanks again Steven. Still not working for me. I'm having a problem now with 'Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4' not installing from Automatic Update as well. Maybe it's all related. I really don't know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2463332
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7218

I've written to Support and given them the address for this Page. There was too much information to put in the Support Ticket! LOL

Maybe the experts can help. I hope so. I had a lot of problems with the latest Reaktor Update as well. Had to uninstall everything and then install every Reaktor Update File I had one after the other. Eventually I got it going again and Updated.

Oh well. Maybe in a day or two Support will point me in the right direction.
  8. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Support must be busy this week. :(
  9. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Wednesday already. Must be very busy.
  10. ruslan.st

ruslan.st NI Product Owner

Looks like you messed up your whole system with various registry cleaners and many installs/uninstalls. Time to think about formatting disk, installing fresh Windows and apps. That way you will save your time instead of waiting for the support response. And SQL Server with DAW software in one PC is not the best combination ;)
  11. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Well, the only vst (and I have many including all NI Virtual Synths Etc) that will not behave on my System at present, is Guitar Rig 4.

I added in the note about the SQL issue, in case it was related but this is not impacting on any of my other VSTs/DAWs.

The SQL Server Update Failure issue stems from an automatic windows update. Not something I designed myself. From what I've understood from searching with Google, it is not uncommon.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Have completed a Full Scan of my Laptop and Hard Drives with 'Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool'. Took a whole Day but everything checked out ... OK.

Still awaiting a reply to my support ticket.
  13. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Friday Night already. Support must be busy.
  14. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Monday Night. Still no contact from support. GR4Pro still ooo.
  15. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Tuesday mornings Battery 3 Update (v3.2.2) from service center.

As installation package for NI Battery 3 cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'Battery 3 Setup PC.msi'.

FFS.
  16. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Still no reply from support. Maybe they'll get around to this tomorrow (Friday).
  17. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Still no reply from Support. Maybe they'll get around to this on Monday.
  18. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Would be nice to get these things sorted out. Unable to update Battery. Unable to install GR4P, and so all my add on products are ooo (out of order) as well. Maybe support will reply tomorrow. Maybe.
  19. DAH

DAH Forum Member

Another day. Another missed opportunity. Still no support.
  20. DAH

DAH Forum Member

And another day of waiting passes. Still no support.