<3 Traktor 3.2 ...But a Tough Decision is Ahead

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by dj-dukee, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj-dukee

dj-dukee NI Product Owner

Well guys. I've been using Traktor since version 2 and I loved the program as it's matured and now with version 3.2 it is truly a fantastic way to be a digital DJ. I'm convinced I want to stick with Traktor. Anyway, I purchased a pair of CDJs a while back and was OK at first with practicing with CDs, but I always knew I'd eventually upgrade to a digital vinyl emulation system. After investing money already into buying Traktor, I figured it would be a wise choice to get FinalScratch (despite hearing the support woes, etc...) because it would integrate with my Traktor setup perfectly and is good for mix-oriented electronic deejays such as myself.

Anyway, with the release of Traktor 3.2 NI has finally officially renounced their ties with Stanton and come January 07, support is gone for. Now I'm stuck in need of a DVS system but I can't get FinalScratch. What should I do? I'm not going to get Serato, but I have heavilyyyy considered Torq. However, I'm skeptical about it and I'm just so much more comfortable with NI's Traktor. Does anybody think or know that NI will release their own FS-type device? I need something like it ASAP. Should I just buy Torq? What should I do? For now I can cope because I have a sweet Ecler Nuo4 that gives me great control but I still want to attach my CDJ's and get that 'cd/fake vinyl' feel.

What should I do? Should I just buy FinalScratch anyway, despite knowing that support is going down the tubes? I'm so confused... Any help is appreciated.

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I would wait to see what January brings in terms of helping you decide.

Phil

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

couldnt agree more...

4. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

If you keep a back up of the current 3.2 build, it supports FS2.

As long as you run this build you can use vinyl control.

The build revision is 3.2.0.080

I'm very anxious to see what January brings as well.

5. djohh

djohh NI Product Owner

I don't know but based on Phil's ans Native Girl's responses, I would wait til the New Year!

6. FunkyRob

FunkyRob Forum Member

I'm kind of not understanding part of this.

They keep saying as of Dec 31, Tracktor will no longer support the FS2 hardware, right?

So will my computer just stop working on new years eve during an important party or something? I don't get it.

7. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Rob, what that means is that you should get 3.2 *now*, because FS support will be removed by Dec 31. The 080 build will keep FS support, but NI can't offer that build beyond Dec 31.

8. FunkyRob

FunkyRob Forum Member

I have downloaded it, but am honestly a bit "nervous" to install it.

I've seen too many posts here from users talking about problems they are having.

So it seems pretty obvious to me that NI plans on releasing their own Timecoded vinyl interface then. Or am I wrong?

9. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

After Dec 31, Your already obtained version will continue to operate as it did before. As of this time NI will have available a version that has no FS support in it. Anyone that obtains the 3.2 update prior to Dec 31 will have a version that has FS support in it that will continue to work as before.

The issues problems we have seen so far with Traktor 3.2 have been minor. The majority of the grief experienced was with Service Center and even that seems to have settled down a good deal since introduction. I would not hold back installing based on what might (but probably won't) happen. If you have a number of gigs coming up I would say wait till you cn be sure you have a chance to get used to the new system. Installing 3.2 on Staturday afternoon in preparation for a gig that night is a recipe for potential disaster.

Phil

10. dj-dukee

I installed it on the Friday afternoon before my Saturday gig haha. An honest mistake i must admit, giging without testing it out for a couple hours.

I still wouldn't actually buy the FS2 hardware even if I can get it to be supported. No offense to Stanton but I think an NI product will be better and more integrated with good support and probably a lot cheaper too. $500 for FS2 is ridiculous when competing products are undercutting the market for about half that. You can get M-Audio's Torq for $200 from anywhere that price matches. For that money I'm tempted to just buy it and try it honestly.

I can't WAIT for January and/or Winter NAMM.

11. xover

xover NI Product Owner

IMHO

you lose little by investing in Torq.

Its all good saying "wait til Dec31" but that does not drive confidence when it comes to selecting a product, especially as there is no official statement that vinyl emulation is still on NI's agenda.

3.2 is a great piece of software for sure and is FAR superior to Torq (feature wise) but if you want to go the vinyl emulation route it may not be the choice right now.

plus Torq's price point cannot be ignored.

Personally I use Torq now more than 3.2 ONLY because of the lack of Ipod support in 3.2.

If you want a vinyl TT solution now Torq is the answer.

Just another point of view.

12. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

3.2 does recognize my iPod and deals with it like with every external HD. Or are referring to something different?

13. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Forum Member

Also consider that whatever might be around the corner in January, it's like a version 1.0 so you may still have to wait for an extra helping of bugs to be worked out.

That said, January's not a long wait. I wouldn't jump onto any new product right now. You've already decided against SSL, so it's FS2 or Torq right now. You might want to wait until Spring when more options are on the table and they've been out long enough to make a more informed decision.

14. xover

xover NI Product Owner

basically yes.

I prearrange playlist using itunes. 2.6 supported viewing and playing these playlist straight from the ipod. 3.2 does not (at least not on my V4/5 ipods on os x)

15. xover

xover NI Product Owner

I really hope that:

a) NI officially announce on going TT support on Jan 1st 0001h
    b) Their support uses Ms Pinky technology
    c) they have already build the hardware / sound card and it ships in Q1 07

Fact is NI do not release on time (any product) so the above is a dream.

AT BEST IMHO your looking at Q2 /Q4 07 before any hardware is released.

That said they could bamboozle everyone by stating support for Connectiv :)

16. food2prep

food2prep NI Product Owner

I think the best way to run traktor in an economical way at the moment is to get an external soundcard like M-Audio Firewire 410 and a midi controller to replicate looping, etc..., Wire everything to an external audio mixer and you are set. If you want to scratch bring a CDJ1000 or your turntable to your gigs and use them just for scratching on another channel. I'm setup this way and everything works great.
    So I don't have to deal with Final Scratch. Things like Disc A or Disc B. Side One or Side B is for this or that. Or track one is 10 minutes and track B is 5 minutes. The records get overused and you need to buy new ones. If I was you I will totally abandon Final Scratch. It seems that Final Scratch is done.
    The best thing I did is to have bought the M-Audio Firewire 410. Great piece of hardware infinite possibility for just $249. Very easy to set up.

Good Luck with your DeeJaying.

Bye,
    Tony T.

17. dj-dukee

Sorry if I'm too sarcastic here but uh, thanks Tony! Too bad I already have an M-Audio FireWire 410 (which I also consider highly reliable) and I have an Ecler Nuo4 to take care of external mixing and MIDI controlling. I currently own 2 CDJ-800's and I've considered what you've said but the problem is I dont want to burn some stuff to CD's. I just want the luxury of using my MP3s as 'virtual CD's.' Forget FinalScratch though, we'll see what January and the first half of '07 brings to the table. For now, even though Torq is cheap, the fact that it's browser and other capabilities are slow, buggy, and deficient at this point are keeping me away from it.

18. buenputter

You saw the little iPod-icon in the browser-tree at the bottom just above the beatport-icon? If you open this "iPod-directory" you will find a directory containing all tracks stored on your iPod AND directories representing your iTunes-playlists which can also be drawn to the F1-F10-fast-access-playlist-docks.

What else was possible in 2.6? (If there is something important missing you should write to the dev-team-guys to bring it back for all of us!)

19. xover

xover NI Product Owner

Your right and they already know :) and knew b4 they released 3.2.
    As few ppl use this functionality it was decided not to fixed before the launch (which I can understand). However for me its a complete killer.

IMHO the quicker these applications moved towards a standard playlist format (i.e. itunes, xspf [like] playlist) the better.

It's fine if you keep all of your media on your computer but I know that in 12 - 18 months most people will be familiar and using NAS storage for their media (as many now do). Once this happens the current playlist management methods my become too much for most.

Especially if you use multiple applications (true for me as i us PCDJ, Torq and FS depending on which venue I play in).

Storage should be platform independent and there *should* also be a platform independent playlist protocol or somethingorother

but for now i use itunes / ipod for the job and traktor does not support this on os x :(

My fear is that by the time it does, it will no longer support FS, which leaves me in exactly the same situation.

Leaving me currently using Torq (which does support ipods) :(

Not happy but working...

20. buenputter

@ xover: Sorry, dude: Just recognized that you are on OSX and that it seems to be a MAC-only-problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.