64-Bit Only Maschine Software (32-bit Maschine being phased out)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Reo.w, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

i just opened my emails & saw the Maschine email that's shown below
    & i want to be the 1st to say this is Seriously FUCKED UP.. it is. & i'll tell you why

Because every time any Major Native Instrument update comes out, or i've had to reinstall Maschine software for whatever reason... i've always had to go through that moment where because the 64-Bit icon was the default that would be installed & placed on the taskbar & put on the desktop .. when i would open Maschine with the 64-Bit option.. i would be shocked that a great amount of my plugins were missing.. Yes, that has always been the case. Then when i would go & open with the 32-Bit option.. Mystery solved.. all my plugs are there on the Menu.

That has happened to many other users too. i know because we all chopped it up here in many NI forum discussions.

When i finally found out that it was because my older 32-Bit 3rd-party Plugs were not working or even showing up on the 64-Bit platform, & then tried the 32-Bit option & IT WORKED, ALL of my plugs were on the menu with that option.. i then knew NOT to use the 64-Bit option (because i STILL want to have the option to choose to use my older 3rd-party plugs that i have PAID tons of money for). i even posted a Thread here on the community forum after i solved the mystery of why my 32-Bit plugs were missing after NI Software updates.. & many people checked it & were helped by it because they too were having the same problem (a problem that when i emailed & questioned NI support about it.. i never got valid answers). i'm not trippin'.. this is very true. & its freakin' aggravating.!!!

That said, WHY is Native Instruments doing this. This is like a Microsoft move.. when they shove something like Windows 10 down our throats, & we have to eat it (or just keep installing the older operating systems.. which for certain purposes i do.. Because when Microsoft "updates" their OS, a lot of my older software/hardware can no longer be used, & i have had to go out & buy new interfaces that are more compatible with the newer OS.. & have my perfectly like knew gear just sitting around the house gathering dust.. its true, its aggravating.. & a total waste of a lot of money).

With NI, once they update their Software, & you have to download it through their systems, Native Access.. you have no choice, because the older software is not archived anywhere. the older software can't be chosen or selected anywhere (i have the older 2.0 disk that came with Maschine Mk2, but it won't include the 2.7 updates or any of the newer software functions i.e. Ideas Mode, etc).

Since NI is killing the 32-bit option... is there a work around that will allow users to STILL USE their 32-bit plugs. even my Soniccouture expansion that is on my NI Serials list gets effected by this (if i don't use 32-bit, it doesn't show up on my plugs menu) & yes, i know how to install plugs properly.

Also i know, YES, 32-Bit things are "supposed" to work under 64-bit systems.. they are. BUT, that has never been the case with Maschine.

i have been using Maschine for years now, since the 1.8 software, & i have the older controllers (still have all the hardware Maschine 1, Mk2, The Mikkro) i am a dedicated NI guy.. i've spent real money to BUY NI stuff (my expansions & sofware are NOT Cracked, NOT bought off of Craigslist or somewhere. i know that stuff is out there lol.. i paid hundreds for that overpriced beast Kontact & a ton of other NI stuff).. i just bought the New Mk3. & like i said earlier, whenever i've reinstalled Maschines Software, or an update came out .. once i installed the update.. under the 64-Bit system all over my 32-bit plugs & effects were wiped out.. they would not show up on my plugs menu.. & i'm not the only one with that problem.. In many forums dedicated customers have bitched about this... with the blind leading the blind, & NI people not chiming in.

So if there is a REAL work around for this development, please let us know.. because i think taking the option away to use 32-bit is fucked up. (i would be forced to reinstall with a cloned hard drive or something of that nature, which cuts me off from whatever future update i might actually like).

i personally would prefer the more power that 64-Bit affords. ALL of my computers (MSI, Alienware, & a Razer laptop).. are 64-Bit, 16 Ram, PCIe SSDs, i7 processors, Turbo-boost laptops.. i want to be working with the best options.. BUT NOT if they are going to wipe out the plugs i want to work with.. With that being the case, we should have the option to choose.

upload_2018-2-14_5-34-13.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. noisyvagabond

noisyvagabond NI Product Owner

3. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

What plugins do you own that don't have a 64 bit version?

4. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

in NI's email they expressed this: "... if you’re running the 32-bit version of MASCHINE to maintain compatibility with 32-bit plug-ins or DAWs, you’ll need to upgrade them to 64-bit versions in order to use them with the 64-bit version of MASCHINE." What does that mean??? Go spend more money.??? This problem is not new, throwing more money at the issues doesn't work. What if you have favorite plugins that do not have 64-bit "updates" ..

5. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

i'm not supplying a detailed list.. i'm not going to do all of that. its an old problem (that many users have had). i've posted threads on it with the details after Maschine updates.. its a real issue.

6. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

Thanks for the feedback... i will definitely check it out.. when these type of 3-party "fixes" are put out, it validates that there is a a real issue

7. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

All current NI plugins and most third party plugins come in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Some have one installer for both versions, while others have separate installers for 32 and 64 bit. But as far as I know none of them have separate licenses, so if you purchased a plugin you should be able to download and install the 64 bit version at no extra cost.

• Like Like x 1
  8. timbonaut

timbonaut NI Product Owner

Jbridge worked pretty solid back in the days.

But honestly i don’t know any company that doesn’t offer the 64bit version with their plugins. It’s Standard meanwhile, same with software (DAWs), just go to their site and download for free.

You would have to update your OS yes, but at the end you will profit from that as you could use more than 4GB of RAM which is so limiting especially for music production.

It’s not nice i understand if you have to change a running system. But times are changing, and that quickly, so does technology.

• Like Like x 1
  9. greavous420

greavous420 NI Product Owner

Cmon guys. If you want to use old 32bit plugins don't expect to be able to use it with new software/hardware. Its kinda like complaining that Office 97 doesn't work on Windows 10. There are workarounds such as plugin wrappers but a workaround is just that, not a solution. I didn't even realise that any companies still released 32bit versions till recently. I hope you don't have more than 4GB RAM in your computer as its being wasted on 32bit if you have.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

ALL of my computers are 64-Bit Systems. all of them. & with other programs (that are not related to Maschine).. there is no problem using 32-Bit.. Believe me, i'm a future conscious dude.. everything i buy i make sure that it can perform into the future, i add faster PCIe SSDs, upgrade RAM, hunt for the best processors, i'm a maniac geek, trust me.. but i (& others have 32-Bit plugs that Maschine does not recognize) & its a problem...
    NI even themselves acknowledge that by simply saying in their email "update your plugs to 64-bit" .. not all 3rd party plugs have 64 Bit options.. if they did i would not have spent time writing this thread

• Like Like x 1
  11. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i quit the use of 32 bit plugins when Kore 2 went 64 bit / was discontinued

12. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

Not every creative being follows every trend that falls off the back of the truck..
    Some creative individuals do actually have their own approach & workflow.. i mean, there are guitarist who won't touch new guitars, they swear by their older Fenders, & Gibsons.. if we paid for something with our hard earned money.. we should have the option to ride those paid for items "until the wheels fall off". & Believe me i've spent way too much money "upgrading/& updating".. i just sold my MK2 for dirt cheap after i bought the MK3 (the Maschine 1 & Mikkro are sitting on shelves)... real talk: it gets to be expensive. the money we pull out of our pockets because these companies want to change up **** can be endless... & like i said.. ALL of my computers are 64-bit machines Pimped out, & progressive.. so i do have 64-Bit capability (i'm not just waking up to complain because the sun isn't shining lol) if this issue was not a real problem.. for me & others.. then i would not have wasted my time writing here.

Some know how to offer solutions, while others just want to practice their comedy routines. i'm just trying to stay creative.. NI makes us spend a ton of money for their updates, & software, expansions.. blah, blah, blah.. i've paid them, i didn't buy cracks & download crap from virusy websites.. so i want to be able to use what i paid for already .. without always having to spend more money .. to do the same thing in a different way.

13. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

if the 32-bits Plugs worked seamlessly, were recognized & could be incorporated into the 64-Bit, if there wasn't an issue.. then NI would never have had to put out both the 32-Bit & 64-Bit platforms.. There are Painters who never want to touch a digital graphics tablet.. i went to art school & like both workflows.. i'm just saying we should have the choice. especially is eradicating one option causes problems with product we already own..

14. COYC

COYC NI Product Owner

good news! i agree to idea make more development and less bugfixin, also computers gettin faster and it is sad for someone with ultracomputor to be tied to those netbooks from 2006 with 4gb of ram :D ok jokes aside, with 32bit system you dont lose maschine, stay on 2.7.2 it will work forever.
    well 32bit gotta go man for better cause

15. Aldred411

Aldred411 NI Product Owner

16. Reo.w

Reo.w NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  17. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

NI is not the only one dropping 32 bit support. Cubase and Ableton Live also no longer have 32 bit versions, so it seems like more and more developers only focus on 64 bit now. There's no point in wasting precious time and resources in outdated technology.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. RecordBot

Mr. RecordBot NI Product Owner

100% Applause and Support from my side for this important descision from NI! Sorry for the folks that still use 32bit, but seriously, who's still making music with that old machines?

Seems after all NI is reading here and listening. Really happy about that. Going back to my Maschine now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aldred411

Aldred411 NI Product Owner

I went through this years ago when I upgraded my Mac , I suppose it's inevitable in the end , maybe set up a second system, or another Drive with an os that you no longer update.

20. TheAndroid

TheAndroid NI Product Owner

If this decision can actually speed up the dev process so we can have crucial software improvements... this is good news.

• Like Like x 4