A Complete & Total Nightmare: All Custom Samples Missing From My Maschine User Library!

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by HarloOfficial, Oct 24, 2016.

1. HarloOfficial

HarloOfficial New Member

Hello NI User Forum,
    Long time lurker. Long time NI user. First time poster.
    I desperately need some help!

I feel as though this might be a problem without a fix; but before I give up, I thought I would ask you guys first. This will probably be a very long post, but that's because I have listed out every detail I can think of as well as the things I have already tried. I have put a lot of effort into making this post, and tried to make it as clear as possible. I am desperate for a solution and would love to hear any possible solution you might have. Thank you in advance!

Problem:
    All my custom samples are missing from my maschine library after re-installing Kontakt. After upgrading from Komplete 10 to Komplete 11, I had some major problems with Kontact 5 as every single one of its presents and plugins were giving me a "Maschine Could Not Find Plugin!" error message after trying to run. After trying everything, I finally got it working by completely re-installing Kontakt 5. But now, all the custom samples in my Maschine library are gone!

This Maschine library was built up over four years and consists of over 150,000 samples. I had imported hundreds and hundreds of kits and packs over the years and had all of them extremely organized. Now they're all gone, and I'm afraid I will be importing them one by one again from scratch. This would legit take 50+ hours of tedious labeling and categorizing, and I am praying to the old gods and the new that there is another way to get my library back.

Here are my current sample categories under "Types" (see pic):
    MaschineSampleLibrary(Pic1B).jpg

Fortunately, all of my Samples are still on my hard drive. They were not deleted all together; just removed from my Maschine Sample Library. Unfortunately for dumb me, adding them back would be difficult, as each kit/pack are in a completely separate location on my hard drive. I was very organized in my Maschine Library after importing, but I can't say the same about the source locations on the disk. Each of them are scattered somewhere in the clustered 950gigs used on my internal drive.

This is the source of the problem. Yet, I don't know what to do about it (see pic):
    MaschineSampleLibrary(Pic2B).jpg

I have no idea why this happened, but the paths to my samples have vanished. Very frustrating :(
    Most Important Question: Does Maschine keep any user library location history? I feel as though my library path might be somewhere, for a couple of reasons:

Reason 1 - Imported sample from last week is still in the location history (see pic):
    MaschineSampleLibrary(Pic3EEEE).jpg

Reason 2: When I open a past project, all the samples in it load without issue, and don't register as "missing" (see pic):
    MaschineSampleLibrary(Pic4).jpg

Manually rebuilding my entire sample library over is my "worst case scenario" option.

This Maschine library was constructed over a four year time frame and has taken countless hours to build and organize. I always made sure that every imported sample was linked precisely into their respected categories, sub-categories, and even sub-sub-categories; making the entire library extremely organized and easily browsable. As good as that sounds, it makes completely rebuilding the entire thing a major bitch. It would take days of stright tedious work, so i’m really hoping that there’s another possible option out there.

If you have any ideas, please let me know! I will love you till the end of time.

Thank you so much.

-Harlow

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Are your samples in various different locations on your hard drive? If so, how many different locations? Would it be too much to add those folders to the user library tab (from where you point out they are missing) and rescan? You don't have to add each sub-directory if multiple packs/folders are contained within another parent folder, as Maschine will scan the sub-directories too (as far as I recall).

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarloOfficial

HarloOfficial New Member

Thank you for replying!
    But yes, they are very scattered around on my drive. I would estimate around 15-25 places. I honestly have no problem going through, finding, and then adding each of there locations back and rescanning if it means that they will return back in the same organized fashion as they once were. I had every kit categorized down to the specifics and that's why this is freaking me out so much. I'm about to try it on a single kit and see if Maschine remembered the groups it was broken down to before. Wish me luck!

4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Yeah, fair enough. Give it a try on a few to see if it works. However, I would be very tempted to use this misfortune as an opportunity to consolidate those files and folders on your drive first, perhaps beneath one big Samples parent folder before adding them back to Maschine. Just a suggestion though, of course, entirely up to you. :)

Hopefully it will work, I believe it will, as I've had to do similar before (albeit with fewer samples/Groups).

• Like Like x 1
  5. HarloOfficial

HarloOfficial New Member

YESSSSSSSS!!!!! IT WORKED!! I can't believe it was such a simple fix. I thought there was no way in hell they would go back to their assigned categories, but holy **** I'm so glad they did! I still have a good bit of kits to find and link, but man this makes me happy as hell! And I would definitely go back and move them all into one folder right now, but I'm too scared that it will remove the categories. Guess I'm just going to stay unorganized forever!

Yayyyyyy.jpg
    LOL.jpg

Well, time to get back to finding the rest of my kits...

Thank you so much for helping me out!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I'm very glad it's working for you now. I've had your frustration before. However, I would still recommend consolidating if you can. You could try just copying (not moving) a couple of folders that are in different places and that you haven't already re-added to Maschine to be located somewhere in a folder together and then add that folder to see if it works. If so and all is well, you can continue to consolidate the rest and then you'll just have one (or two or whatever) samples folders.

7. FrankieFilth

FrankieFilth NI Product Owner

AFAIK, the Maschine tags are saved to the files as metadata. Pretty sure you can put your samples wherever you want, so long as you tell Maschine where they are, and everything will always be tagged. I agree that you should consolidate your collection, and then back it up regularly.