1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice
  2. You can find all the latest news on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and Apple M1 compatibility for our products here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013515618

Dismiss Notice

A little advice please

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by djjasoncarroll, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djjasoncarroll

djjasoncarroll NI Product Owner

Hi all getting a little baffed by this, im getting skips in the recordings I have been doing and I cant work out why, this has started since I put a new hard drive in my MBP I upped it from 120gb to a 500gb one, ive also been having the odd 5-10 second freeze while jumping playlist's.

now what I have done to try combat this.

.down graded to leopard
    .formatted the hdd and did a fresh install
    .Have done all the normal things like upped the latency from 5.5 to 8.5 airport off

I know this should be in technical, I have raised a ticket with N.I all I got was the Newbie reply.

I never had this problem before and its looking like its the hdd hope I have not bought a duffer how can I test it ?

One last thing the output is never effected sounds perfect all the time ?

2. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

is it a 5200 or 7200 rpm drive?

3. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Also what brand..?

Ive had various 5400 and 7200 and i have genuinely never noticed the difference when using Traktor at full tilt.

I have always used Western Digital HD replacements which quite a few of us around here use to great success, especially the 5400 drives.

4. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

Normally RPMs should not affect anything during Traktor use.. However, I noticed that A 320 gig 7200 Rpm disks originally found in my MBP was drawing much more power than the original 5200.. So it "could" be a matter or power distribution in the HD.

5. djjasoncarroll

Hey mate it was the one that you pointed at on scan a little while ago 500gb western Digital one.

Like I said its really weird as I know you guys were running the same thing nothing else has been changed on the Laptop, I am also getting lock ups in safari while typing.

I have done a fresh install before just to clear up space and did not have this problem, its really bugging me :( I am crap with mac I dont know how to test stuff or fault find is there a way of checking the disc to see if it has a fault
    ---
    This is the hard drive http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500G...T-Scorpio-25-SATA-300-5400-rpm-8MB-Cache-2-ms

6. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Thats odd, i had flawless performance in my other MBP 2.16/3GB.

If Safari is locking up it suggests something else is causing your hard drive to stutter rather than your hard drive is causing applications to stutter.

I think you need to run a Hard Drive Diagnostic Checker. There was a Western Digital one on their website but its been withdrawn now. You might be able to find it somewhere.

Is there a Diagnostic utility with your Apple Care disc? Ill check mine when i get home.

Hmmph... thats crap news Jason. Ive recommended those drives to a lot of people. Your the only one thats had issues. Hope its something else less problematic.

Karlos

7. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

Master tempo off on Pioneer CD player?

8. djjasoncarroll

O using a vci 100 with an ak1
    ---
    I'm starting to think there is a problem else where there is a hardware test on the instalation disc I will give that a bash

9. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

Ah.. Felt like doing a long shot.

Fail... ;)

Perhaps the clone did not go well.

How did you get all apps and files on your new drive?

10. djjasoncarroll

It's a dedicated machine for djing so, I keep a back up of the programs otherwise it's like new

11. djproben

djproben NI Product Owner

how did you format the hard drive? Make sure it's HFS+ if you're on a Mac.

12. djjasoncarroll

Hi it's formatted as the default osx journal I only had two options of the type of format what is hfs+.

Just run the basic hardware test and nothing came up doing the more in depth one now
    ---
    Nothing on the in-depth hardware check mbp is running fine ?

13. djproben

djproben NI Product Owner

OSX journaled is what you want; it was just a thought. Another thing not clear is what the symptoms actually are -- you say songs are skipping but then that "the output is never effected sounds perfect all the time", so how do you know it is skipping?

One thing to try while trouble shooting is try restarting the computer in "safe" mode (hold the shift key down during startup) to see if that clears up the problem. If it does you might be able to hunt down the culprit more easily. If it doesn't, it might be a hardware problem with your new disk. Have you tried running off another disk drive btw, maybe an external?

14. djjasoncarroll

Hi I found out the skipping when I recorded a mix the other day, its jumping back and forth like some sort of buffering problem, its very weird I am trying the original memory in it now going back from 4gb to 2gb see if its a fault there.

15. djjasoncarroll

Still no joy with this problem, im going to pop the 120gb hard drive back in monday and test again see what happens if its the new hard drive that has a problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.