A message that there is an upgrade to Kontat 5 Full... but...

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by jbow, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jbow

jbow New Member

I used Service Center to upgrade. Now my desktop icon is white and I get a message that it has been moved, it won't work, and do I want to delete the shortcut.

Same thing when I go to Programs/Apps. I am still on Widows 8.1 on my DAW. How do I fix this? I have heard others say that they lost all their presets, thankfully I have not had Kotakt long enough to have any of my own, just factory. Is Service Center a problem? Is there a better way to do upgrades? I have not tried to open Kontakt in my DAW, Sonar Platinum... what to do?

Thank you,
    Julien

2. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Just to clarify:
    • Which version of Kontakt were you using before: Kontakt Player or Kontakt Full version?
    • Which steps did you do in Service Center exactly?
    • And are you really talking about Upgrading (as example from Kontakt Player to Kontakt Full). Or do you mean Updating to the latest program version (Kontakt 5.5.2)? Because these are two different things ...

3. jbow

jbow New Member

well great. After a reboot Kontakt is komplely GONE... I did a search and I get no results for Kontakt. in programs under Native Instrumets there is only Service Center. I hope this isn't a regular thing when I update. This isn't OK. I'll search in the C drive to see if I can find it. This is weird.
    Maybe it is still there. I'll let you know.
    J

4. Calaban

Calaban New Member

I'm having problems with Kontakt as well, jbow. It happened after updating with Service Center. My Kontakt VST is just gone.

Solger has been kind enough to help in my other thread, but I haven't fixed the problem yet.

Best of luck...I will be monitoring this thread as well.

5. vordex

vordex New Member

Just went to check Service Centre and saw the 5.5.2 Kontakt update available, but was immediately suspicious something was wrong, because the date shown on the update is 08-Jun-2015. That looks wrong to me. I haven't tried updating.

6. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Besides using Service Center, you can also check and install the latest updates manually from the download area (after you login with your account): http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/

7. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

Calaban, I had the same problem. The first installation the VST was grayed out so they did not load. I tried to load them in Sonar and they were not there. I ran the installation again and the VST was not grayed out. Everything was ok after the second installation.

Vordex, I noticed the same thing. I backed up my system prior to installation. The update is correct as it installs 5.5.2. Just the date is incorrect.

I hope this helps.

8. jbow

jbow New Member

Hi, I was updating from Kontakt 5 Full. I don't remember the steps. I was checking out a new instrument and opened the stand alone player when I got a message that there was an upgrade available to 5.5.2. I went through whatever steps it said to do and went through the Service Center.
    I found that Kontakt is still available as a VST in my DAW but the stand alone is gone and doesn't show up in my programs.
    Strange. I'd like to have the stand alone for checking out new instruments I might buy. I was trying something from Bolder Sounds, not a free instrument.
    J

9. jbow

jbow New Member

So, should I try to update again? I was going to try it manually but the updates sends me to Service Center. Should I choose download and reinstall the whole thing? Kontakt 5 Full or just try updating with SC again. I have not tried but I assume it wll tell me I am up to date. I don't remember if I mentioned it but I am still on W-8.1 Studiocat computer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  10. solger

solger NI Product Owner

To get access to the update installers you must [LOGIN] with your account here first:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/updates/

In case you need a full installer you can also check your Products & Serials area:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...an-i-download-my-native-instruments-software/

Since you posted that Kontakt standalone is gone, you'll probably have to run a full installer of Kontakt again.

But you can try updating (manually) first. In case this doesn't work you can always do the full Kontakt re-install next.

11. jbow

jbow New Member

OK, I checked SC and in Overview everything looks right until I click Kontakt 5 Application. Then it is in red
    "no stand-alone application found. It says under that:

VST (Version 5.5.2.880)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VSTplugins\Kontakt5.dll
    VST64 (Version 5.5.2.880)
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins\Kontakt5.dll

I copy/pasted both to my desktop, they are there even though the Locate button in SC does not show them being there. So I left them there, put them on the desktop and tried pasting them into Programs NI Kontakt5, the (x86) and the 64 bit. Then I re-booted. Nothing still, so I will remove them from Kontakt5, leave copies on the desktop for now, and try to re-install. This is a lot of trouble for a simple update.

Julien

12. solger

solger NI Product Owner

OK, then you'll have to run a full Kontakt installer.

The VST plugins are probably still there because they are not in a default plugin install location and therefore didn't get removed (like the standalone application of Kontakt) ...

13. jbow

jbow New Member

OK, I logged in and ran the updater to 5.2, I get a box with an error message:
    Installation folder not found!
    Please install from the original installation media first. If the product is already installed on your computer, please start the latest version of Service Center, go to the "Overview" tab, click "Show Details" for the application you want to update, and browse to the current installation folder by pressing the "Locate" button. Then run the update installer again. If you have manually renamed the application, rename it to Kontakt 5,

OK. I have not renamed anything. I cannot find the folder containing the application anywhere using the Locate button.

I don
    t know what to do. Obviously update is not going to work. I'm not sure what will happen if I try to re-install. I suppose I should write down my SNs for Komplete and I guess the instruments that came with it, IDK.. there are three SNs. It is weird to me that Kontakt 5 works and is updated in Sonar but the stand-alone is just gone. The instruments are there. I DO NOT want to make this worse and I certainly don't want to spend a whole day on it. I've already put 3-4 hours in to trying to fix this mess. Getting aggravated.

14. jbow

jbow New Member

OK, I types above before I saw your answer. Does it matter that K5 is updated and working in Sonar? Go ahead with full install. I will write down my SNs just in case. I'll wait a few to see if anything is changed.... thanks,
    Oh and does it matter if I use 7-Zip or WinRAR. I ask because I tried unzipping the update with 7-Zip and a little black box appeared and disappeared too quickly to see what it was. I then used WinRAR.
    Thanks again
    Julien

15. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Since the Kontakt standalone application is gone, the update installer cannot find (and update) it.
    Therefore you need to run a full installer for Kontakt (either from your install medium or from the Products & serials area).

Well, it can be the case that after an update the standalone application and the plugin in your DAW have two different versions. This can happen for instance if the plugin didn't get installed or updated in the right folder (which is used in your DAW)

But you make a backup of the plugin files in general, just in case.

16. jbow

jbow New Member

ugh. Going to watch the AFC and NFC Playoffs and get back to this later. Do you mean to backup the whole vstplugins folder? I guess both (x86) and plugins. I guess that would be easy enough, I have plenty of room on my D drive.
    I may not get this done until late tomorrow or sometime Tuesday but Ill follow up with what happens.
    Thank you for the help.
    Julien

17. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Yeah, you might as well backup the whole folder.
    You can never have too many backups ;)

18. jbow

jbow New Member

One more question... will a "copy folder to" be sufficient for a backup of a folder or should I use a utility, I do have Acronis for backing up and cloning whole drives but if "Copy to" will suffice, that surely would be easier and I need a little "easier" right about now, lol. I do appreciate your time and trouble. I will watch to Groove 3 video on Kontakt when I get this done. I started but didn't finish. I think it will help.

edit: I've always heard that nothing exists until it is backed up twice, lol.

Thanks again!
    Julien

19. solger

solger NI Product Owner

In this case a "copy to folder" is sufficient, so that you can simply copy plugin files back to the plugin folder if needed.
    You might also consider making an (additional) zip-or archive-file of the backup folder.

20. jbow

jbow New Member

Thanks, a backup is never a bad idea and I'll do it. I could do a zip backup to a DVD-R, I've plenty of them. I've never done an Archive backup file. I suppose WinRAR would have the option, or Windows would. I'll check.
    I got Kontakt 5 boxed. Should just start over, delete Kontakt, and re-install using the disks. Then update just after that? I have not used Kontakt in any project yet so I won't lose anything like that.
    While I have your attention can I ask a related question? I hope so, lol.
    I bought a couple of instruments for Kontakt from Bolder Sounds. They have .nki and .nkr files. I was not sure where to extract them so I created a Bolder folder in the NI folder on my samples drive where the samples are. Is that a good idea? Kontakt finds them but I'm still not sure about it, but if I'm redoing things I want to get everything organized and done right.

Thanks again!
    Julien