A49 Velocity problem

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Arsalino007, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Arsalino007

Arsalino007 New Member

Hello,
    purchased and recieved my KK A49 today and i must say that i have to press the keys really hard to get any sound, no matter if i try it in cubase or in KK standalone.
    If i use my mouse or the piano roll, the sound is good but if i use they A49 they sound is poor unless i use the fixed velocity mode.
    Is fixed velocity the only way to really use this hardware? seems really poor to me.
    I have updated the firmware btw. and the problem still exists.

2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yeah it's quite a sad state of affairs TBH and quite frustrating for users...

There is no way to adjust velocity for the A series and I can agree that it really SHOULD be possible to do but alas, it isn't. Only using a MIDI filter in a DAW or a fixed velocity as you have found. Insane I know.

I'd try and humor you with "maybe we will see it in an update soon" but that chesnut is a pretty old one now.

3. Arsalino007

Arsalino007 New Member

I really hope for a reply and a solution.
    I am already in love with the software and it works great with cubase but this velocity error is annoying and i hope for a fast fix.

4. JTsNotes

JTsNotes New Member

Seems to be a recurring theme. I bought a KK A-61 last week and have the same issue. Initially I couldn't integrate with Cakewalk by Bandlab, but one of the tech experts at Cakewalk provided me with a custom MCU control surface. So now I can use the KK controller to perform some of the DAW functions. On the velocity issue, I'm waiting to hear back from the technical dept at NI, as they passed my ticket on to them. From what JesterMgee posted, it sounds like there's no velocity curve options in the A-series, not sure about the S-series.

It seems the velocity issue varies from instrument to instrument. I'm assuming based on the role velocity plays in the articulation of the sound, that low velocity will impact some instruments more than others.The Gentleman piano has a very low volume when played from the keyboard. You are right, when you use a mouse to hit the same note on the virtual keyboard on the instrument page, it's quite loud. I'm assuming those are all set at a max velocity of 127. When I play in a part and play it back, it sounds a little duller. If then go into the Piano roll editor, select the entire track & then raise them all up at once, (they raise up and keep their relative range differences), It sounds much better, as all the nuances of the instrument are present at the proper velocity. If you play a sound like Hybrid Keys, the lower velocities don't seem to affect the volume & sound as much.

I also like the sounds and feel of the keyboard. I could live with using with the Midi filter on tracks that need a velocity boast, but I'm having trouble with SG - Acoustic Picked. The hammer-on and pull-off function isn't working & they are based on velocity differences, Hit a note soft and the note beside it harder, in the melody mode, and you get a hammer on. That isn't happening. So I hate to have to take it back, but if the velocities are affecting the articulations on instruments when playing in real time, that's not going to work for me.

When I hear back from the NI tech people, I will post an answer in here.

5. Arsalino007

Arsalino007 New Member

Hello again guys,
    i have fixed the issue on my own today after returning from work.
    What i have done was changing the usb-slot i was using previously and rebooting my PC, that´s all i have done actually so maybe theo ne usb-slot of mine has an issue.
    I would recommend you guys try that as well.
    Sure some instruments like the Gentleman need me to set the volume a little bit higher but hey to play a real piano really loud, you sometimes have to put some effort into it as well.
    Anyway my Velocity reaches from soft to very high now and i am happy.

6. JTsNotes

JTsNotes New Member

Goodness, I wish my situation was that simple. I tried all the ports, (6 of them) and nothing changed. I don't think my PC is too old, it was released 1st quarter 2016. Are using a MAC or a PC ?

7. Brandon Bryant

Brandon Bryant New Member

I could see switching from USB 2.0 to 3.0 making a difference - 3.0 should be indicated by a blue port on your machine.
    That would be an easy temporary fix.

8. JTsNotes

JTsNotes New Member

All the ports on my computer are 3.0

9. Arsalino007

Arsalino007 New Member

Hey JTsNotes,
    i use a PC with windows 10 installed on it so nothing fancy.
    After playing more and more since my initial purchase of the A49 i tend to go back and forth between fixed and dynamic velocity alot, depending on the instruments i use and the dynamic velocity tends to work best with NI software for me but i end up adjusting everything in my daw anyways (i use Cubase).
    I don't know your expectations and so on but when i made this thread-post the velocity on my device was absurd, i could have hammered on the keys full force to get anything out of it, and after my fix it works fine (for what i expect from this keyboard).

10. JTsNotes

JTsNotes New Member

Arsalino,
    Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear from NI. Yes I can adjust the volume on my DAW (Cakewalk), but the velocities are still very low on the track, as seen in the event filter. These velocities are entered from hitting the keys. I wouldn't care & simply turn up the volumes as you suggest,but the lower velocities are affecting the articulations of some of my VSTs, especially Session Guitarist - Acoustic Picked. A higher velocity on striking a note, creates a slide into the note. Hamner-ons and pull-offs are based on hitting the first key hard and the next note soft. Not getting these results.

To make it even more bizarre. When I enter drums on the KK A61 , using XLN Addictive Drums 2, I see the expected velocities. I push firmly on say C3 for kick drum, it will produce a 127 velocity. I hit the key hard in the XLN Addictive Keys & I might get an 80 velocity. Play it back, and it's a low volume. So it seems the velocities the KK A61 is generating vary from VST to VST ???