Ableton link can revolutionize the Maschine experience

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by Trevorhor, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Trevorhor

Trevorhor NI Product Owner

NI, you can transform what it means when Maschine users get together with this one addition!

• Like Like x 16
  2. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

Is there any more to this than people in the same room to sharing the same tempo, where they use software which isn't actually being played.
    If they were playing instruments, would they would not need to be tempo sync.

Now what i'd like to see, is what bitwig promises in their future updates, and that's the ability to colaborate with someone on the other side of the net in virtual time. Not even Ableton has this yet, but imagine they are already thinking about it.

3. dabb

dabb Active Member

Nobody want Link in Maschine or nobody care to vote?

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlipPlop

PlipPlop New Member

Wow Albeton just invented VST Connect but only for a room. :D

BTW. In the 80's we called that midi

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. dabb

dabb Active Member

Yup Albeton invented midi.
    Ignorance is bliss

6. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

You see how well vst connect, and loopmash did. Presonus is pounding Steinberg with where studio one is going.

On another not should be cool to get ableton link.

7. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

Actually i think it would be a good start for Maschine to at least adopt this protocol. I've seen utube vids where the performer has simply set his various bits of software and hardware to the same bpm and then triggered them manually. It worked but it was very hit and miss.

Having the 'Link' would at least have tablets and hardware controllers speaking to each other, ditto daws. Who knows this protocol might evolve to include other features. Midi over bluetooth/wifi?

8. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

As an extra thought, If 'Link' were implimented, you could in theory run Maschine as a standalone, alongside Ableton [or any other daw with link]. You would only integrate the two projects when you were sure you no longer needed to develop on the Maschine side. Audio would have to be in shared mode.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cooloutman

cooloutman NI Product Owner

Yep...Link is needed in NI products. It's a great, simple to use protocol and very different than midi sync. No master/slave relationship or dealing with midi ins/out. Wireless support with up to 20 devices (from what I hear) at the same time.

One thing I noticed, that (at least on mac) Link works internally app-to-app with no setup at all. So while I'm DJing with Serato DJ, I can load up Ableton, hit Link...and it just works. Ableton is now following the tempo of my Serato tracks. Personally I'd rather use Maschine in standalone instead of a Ableton plugin, so Link added to Maschine would be a plus.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

i love having serato sync with ableton link. my external synths, drum machines, etc all in sync. it's great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Public beta of Traktor with Link has started, let us hope Maschine follows suit

• Like Like x 3
  12. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Yep, used Link with Traktor and my iPad with iMaschine last night. Can't wait for to to be implemented on full Maschine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. larserik

larserik NI Product Owner

Since Traktor now has ableton link there's a possibility for sure it's implemented in Maschine software. Hold you breath guys!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  15. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

16. junglephone

junglephone NI Product Owner

17. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

what will be the biggest joys of link for most you? Traktor to Maschine is my first bet. iPads and stuff? Im usually put off by the fact that the easiest way to record an iPads sound is through 1/8 inch headphone jack and going extra steps just seems like might as well use that energy to use a desktop app to get a proper a musical passage of some sort. Ableton with Maschine? Well lets just use it as a plugin.
    Collaborate for sure but then we gotta hook up through an audio interface too, thats cool but are we still gonna be tied to a mutual computer anyway?
    Live performance in a venue? Can we trust link that much? just playing devils advocate.
    I think DJ wise is the biggest plus but for sure I've always wanted to run dual Maschine projects with a friend and see what happens.

18. GoGoGomez

GoGoGomez NI Product Owner

I use iPad with iMaschine and Link a lot. The sound out of the analog jack is pretty decent but if I'm at home I just go USB straight to my interface.

Mostly I use it when composing and have a simple drum beat for time on one device and play another (I dont usually quantize) or I use it to make custom cue and click track mixes. Fo example in the cue mix you can play a piano tone prior to having to sing that tone after a long rest helping you to hit the pitch.

19. justcharlie

justcharlie NI Product Owner

Can't wait for this functionality.

20. motionscreen

motionscreen NI Product Owner