1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Ableton-style warp markers would be GREAT!

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by sparky sanchez, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sparky sanchez

sparky sanchez Forum Member

I'm sure everyone has experienced the track that just won't fit the grid....you're pushing and pulling and some parts of your track are in time and others aren't. Wouldn't it be great if Traktor had the present (very respectable) auto-grid and gridding system AND an Ableton-like ability to place and drag markers.
    A current workround is to take tracks into Ableton, warp and export them but that means a destructive edit of the original file plus extra data and versions piling up....it would just be so good to have a marker/warp option.
    The technology is there, it's mature, people are familiar with the concept.....not a point update but TP3--YES!
    Come on NI, we don't all play digi-download 4/4 allllllllllllllllll the time!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Audio Slave

Audio Slave NI Product Owner

I vote for Variables tempos in a track.;)

3. vibes340

vibes340 Forum Member

+1
    Before it closd

4. PowerBSD

PowerBSD Forum Member

5. P K

P K Forum Member

Karlos would have you believe only a loud minority want this feature (that has been requested countless times before) but I think that isn't really accurate.

I think people have accepted NI's resistance to this and have kinda given up in frustration.

This is a valid feature suggestion, that would be an improvement, this is a way to sell more TSP!

As a sales strategy implementing a feature like this (aimed squarely at Ableton) would bring more money to NI's table, and for sure would be easier and cheaper to develope/implement than creating new button-boxes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Actually I think that I referred to the "loud minority" wanting Serato style vertical/stackable waveforms, not a warp like feature.

I think a warp like feature would be very handy (im pretty sure I have said that before).

I'm sure that some form of warping will be on the road map for Traktor at some point.

Karlos

• Like Like x 1
  7. Keuss

Keuss Forum Member

+1 for this one. Disco/funk needs it.

8. P K

P K Forum Member

Support from a moderator for this feature! Thanks Karlos

9. sparky sanchez

sparky sanchez Forum Member

Imagine, the current way of moving and expanding/contracting the grid but it simply works on a per-grid marker basis instead of the current way. That would leave your current grids and process intact and give you a way to grid those tricky ones.

10. figga

figga New Member

11. renegadebliss

renegadebliss New Member

This is a REQUIREMENT. Very important.

Or give me the ability to tap in the grid at the very least. I can tap
    more accurate then the analysis shows grid right now..

12. gls77

gls77 New Member

13. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

+1
    Even with older house vinyl rips, I have tracks that the grid won't stay in sync with to the end. I get one part in sync and the after a drop or break the next part is all off. If I'm using my S4 I just turn off sync and beatmatch but the grid also affects loops and FX, and sometimes I have to mix with no jog wheels available so a way to force the grid on to the actual beats in the track would be very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jon013@msn.com

jon013@msn.com NI Product Owner

Funny I play this style of music and freestyle and the grids don't match up so I concentrate more on the nudge than the fx

15. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

+1

FLEXIBLE BEAT GRIDS!!! If the future is sync, then we'll need some way to make live drummer tracks work without resorting to Ableton Live.

16. maara

maara Forum Member

2 years since raising this feature request, 2 years of waiting, 2 years of nothing.... :(

17. onkel-joz

onkel-joz New Member

I really don't understand why NI is narrowing down it's tarket group by not adding this feature. Even more since the release of the S8; it seems like a signal that Traktor becomes a "EDM-DJ only"-product, that's sad and disappointing.

+1, a important and essential feature for me.

18. alessiof

alessiof NI Product Owner

Especially with a s8 without physical Pitch control...this feature cold be GREAT and will let allow every djs style to play...from funk to Tecno...

+100 (but already more than 3 years that I am asking for that...indeed I moved in other sofware)

19. The Mu

The Mu New Member

+1
    I play mostly Disco and I'd love to do some live remixing in Traktor. Unfortunately that's just not possible with the current software. Some kind of warping is a must have feature for me personally. I'm very, very, very disappointed that the only way I can use TSP to play classic DJ style (with Timecode) but not do any remixing.

20. TheWarden

TheWarden New Member

Well this feature request has been around since almost the dawn of Traktor and it seems likely it will never be addressed.

One "hacky" workaround I use from time to time (disco/funk etc.) is to set multiple beat markers (don't set them as cues) and use "beat" sync (settings). This can cause some minor glitching when the track drifts a lot but by only placing the manual grids around important cues (in/out) it can save you some time to do other things. You can also turn off syncing completely and use the Traktor sync indicators and your manual grid markers to help guide your nudges. Again it lessens the load on your brain and leaves you free to do other things.

I have sometimes set markers every 4 beat bar. It's a lot of preparation work but then flexible/warp grids would require something similar anyway.