Additional MIDI IN/OUTS + EFX + UI tweaks

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Traxus, May 31, 2014.

1. Traxus

Traxus New Member

Edit: To spare you tldr's some time, here is a concise list:

1. Midi output of remix deck cell color
    2. Midi input and output of remix deck cell pitch/transpose knob
    3. Allow each deck to have a unique highlight (waveforms, buttons) color
    4. Ensure that all effects have a True Dry state, so they can be enabled but not effect the output.
    5. Extend Midi output of beat phase to provide the current phase of 2,4,8,16 and 32 beat sections

Hi guys, as you may or may not be aware I've just completed a very extensive mapping project on Liine's Lemur app for iPad:

http://djtrax.us/201405/traktor-total-control-with-lemur/

I haven't counted line by line, but at best estimate the .tsi contains over 1500 individual mappings. First and foremost I want to commend the developers for putting out such an incredibly powerful MIDI API. About 14 months ago I put out a similar but less powerful template for your unnamed competitor; dealing with their lack of MIDI Out (at the time) and general clumsiness left me rather frustrated with their software which began to reek of inflexible coding. Cracking into Traktors 'backend' via MIDI was an incredible breath of fresh air, especially once the Remix decks became (mostly) fully map-able.

On that note, two immediate requests, give output on the remix cell color, and give us in/out on cell pitch, individually. If you've watched the linked video all the way through you'll catch a bit about the Remix Deck sequencers (an idea I built upon from DJ Tomash). I've seen the request somewhere on the forum before, but I'll make it again, we want to make monophonic melodic step sequencers, utilizing the Remix Decks as a sample base. These both seem pretty straight forward but I'd like to nudge it a long if at all possible.

Insofar as user interface goes, just one suggestion. Allow for the ability for each deck to have a unique color. What I would invision is that the wave form, the button highlight color (which is currently a yellow orange; vis a vis when you're deck focus is on A, the Square with the A in it turns orange), the track name, and so forth are all a unique high contrast color for each deck. This would help with people using various pieces of hardware for various decks (ie, maybe a pair of F1s, one for Deck C and another for Deck D).

The Effects are great, the mapping capability is great, but there is another (probably more difficult than the above two requests) usability issue I see with them. I really feel like each Effect, when utilized in the 3 column mode, should have a true Dry state. I'd say about 70% of the effects immediately have an impact on the incoming audio as soon as they are turned on. I would personally much prefer that I could leave ANY of the effects 'ON', but place the control knob in such a place whereby the effect would pass a completely dry signal. Despite their smaller array of options, this is one of the few things I thought that your unnamed competitor did better than you.

Anyway, great product, hope it gets better, and hope I don't sound too much like this:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/client-feedback-on-the-creation-of-the-earth

:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Traxus

Traxus New Member

Additionally, and I thik this has been requested before somewhere, in addition to outputting the phase of an individual quarter note for a given track, it would be nice to also output the phases of a 4 beat, 8 beat, 16 beat and 32 beat denomonations (I suppose 2 beat would make sense as well)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014