1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

"Aftertouch" Question

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by cubisla, Apr 12, 2016.

1. cubisla

cubisla New Member

Can someone confirm whether Massive does or does not support polyphonic aftertouch?

For anyone reading who might be confused about this:

Channel Pressure = Single realtime value (0-127) that represents the average pressure exerted across ALL KEYS at any moment
    Polyphonic Aftertouch = Single realtime value (0-127) for a SINGLE NOTE/KEY that indicates the realtime pressure exerted on that note at any moment

Apparently the word "aftertouch" and "pressure" are sometimes used interchangeably on both of these, leading to some level of confusion.

(Both are mentioned here): https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-1-summary-of-midi-message

Animoog, for example, uses polyphonic aftertouch so that filter changes, etc., can be delivered against individual notes. After trying to figure out every which way to get Massive to use "AT", finally I tried using my keyboard that only does channel pressure, and THAT works... leading me to believe that polyphonic aftertouch is not supported, in favor of channel pressure/aftertouch.

Is this a correct assumption... or is there some way to use both in Massive?

Thanks,
    cubisla

2. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

Massive only responds to channel aftertouch, not poly. Controllers that support poly AT are really rare, so it's not a huge loss.
    Incidentally, I have an Ensoniq VFX which does--it's a fun feature to play with, but personally I don't find it adds much that I miss on my other (channel) aftertouch-capable keyboards.