1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

An update on the future of the Sequencer - Part 2

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Charles @ NI, Dec 23, 2016.

1. acme

acme NI Product Owner

Hello, mine is acmedavid

2. motionscreen

motionscreen NI Product Owner

I´m a little disappointed about those news. After having read the first post on the future of the sequencer in autumn 2016 I thought development would have made much more progress from then.

Why is so much effort been taken for this "free of a general timeline" thing?
    It doesn´t make any difference for me if I put my ideas in the arranger´s timeline or somewehere else. If the Scenes I´ve created for my first ideas are no longer needed after building a basic arrangement I can delete them in a minute.
    This is at least a much better way than "a simple drag and drop method", that Charles is trying to sell us as the next big thing.
    What did I buy Maschine Jam for, when I´ll have to drag my patterns/ideas into the arranger?
    I think I´ll better skip the next major update...

What I am waiting for (and probably many others, too) is the possibility to create transitions between scenes and maybe to perform and record scene/pattern/idea changes (as well as mutes or automation) directly into Maschine.
    Now I hear that those approvements will come much later (Song clips the 2nd next big update, real-time performance recording even months after that...) because they N.I. is developing something I have never read about in any of the feature suggestions we users have been made....:(

3. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Apart from the part about it taking so long, I echo these sentiments somewhat after re-reading this announcement.

Based on my understanding that this idea creation stage means a separate view/mode to the arranger, a lot of it, to me, sounds like a lot of work to create a different way to do what we can already do i.e., many users already use Patterns/Scenes for idea creation. Indeed, "sketchpad" even seems to be one of the most-used words when talking about MASCHINE, so it seems it already has "Idea Creation" well and truly covered.
    The difference comes when the user is ready to move onto arranging and not needing to switch views or modes or anything. The difference is essentially in the conceptualisation of what Patterns/Scenes and the arranger is.
    The point is that Scenes are on a timeline and can be arranged in an order that you can play through linearly, but users can equally just see the arranger area as a space for creating Scenes (i.e., the "non-linear" approach) that will be arranged according to the timeline when they're ready (which could be from the beginning of, during, or after idea creation, depending how the user wants to work). Same area, different uses at different times. In other words, if you just ignore the timeline in the arranger we have, it is just an area to create Scenes. But it has the added benefit of being able to arrange them too when you want, no need for moving Scenes from one view to another, just moving them around in the same view to get the arrangement you want. Dragging/dropping being the first stop seems odd too, especially as just dragging/dropping within the current arranger would be a huge improvement to mouse workflows, especially when we get that context menu.

However, I do see one main benefit to having some separation, which is to allow users to have e.g., a sketchpad area and an arrangement area (especially if they can record performances from one to the other), but, importantly, I really don't see why they need to be so different e.g., one being "free of a general timeline" and one not. At this point, having a separate area for Scenes that doesn't have all the possibilities of the Scene area (arranger) we're used to seems like it could lead to frustration. So why not just two areas that both work like arrangers and have timelines that can be used or ignored at will? That way, @theinvis might eventually be able to have his crossfader. :p

As for the other side of production and more fuller/finished arrangements, there seems to be so much that could be done and added to Patterns/Scenes to allow almost all if not all "linear" functionality as well as enhancing clip-based workflows, which is what I would love to see most in terms of sequencer improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

Also, trying to be added to the beta. Thanks

Username: LEGENDARYFINS

5. Sangeeta

Sangeeta NI Product Owner

I would like to join the beta aswell. Username: Sangeeta

6. marcora

marcora NI Product Owner

Hello Charles,

I signed up on centercode but have not been accepted. I would like to join in an start testing. My username is marcora

Thank you!

7. marcora

marcora NI Product Owner

Reposting because I realized I did not fill out the form on centercode.

My username is: marcora

Thanks for adding me to the Maschine Beta test program.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sangeeta

Sangeeta NI Product Owner

Where can i report bugs or discuss the beta ? In centercode i dont see any forum /bug tracker?

9. extato

extato New Member

Hey Charles,
    can you add me? Username: extato
    Thanks

10. Mossah

Mossah New Member

Hey Charles,
    can you add me? Username: mossah
    Thanks

11. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Did arranger mode ever come out? (As a non beta).

12. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

@Charles @ NI
    I´m also ready for Beta now. ;)
    USERNAME: Supercreative

13. ReneP

ReneP New Member

@Charles @ NI

I would like to join the beta program. Could you add me?
    Username: RP

14. CakeAlexS

Must be a lot of work maintaining a closed beta test. If the betas were made public those resources could be redirected elsewhere.
    Just a thought..

15. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Are you suggesting a public beta would take less maintenance/admin work?

16. CakeAlexS

No I was eating fruitcake and wondering how many currants were in it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

An open beta would cost more resources or at least the same i think. So i can understand Mr. 36 question.

Uwe

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

18. CakeAlexS

I counted them. 38.

19. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I think the closed beta is a good idea for NI.

20. CakeAlexS

Sorry 37.

• Funny Funny x 1