Announcement to Kore users

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Keir @ NI, Jul 6, 2011.

1. york909

york909 NI Product Owner

+1. The Kore concept is amazing, put together with Komplete and a few sound packs and you have the most powerful and usable native synth workstation available. I simply can't understand why NI would like to give up on this unique, pro product!

2. greggybud

greggybud NI Product Owner

It has been discussed to death. NI is a business. Since it's privately held, no one knows the logic, but if based on typical business models, it's safe to say Kore was too much of a financial drain.

It had inherent browser problems that would not make it a long term tool for browsing/editing. Again all this has been mentioned before.

And personally it was a bit hard to understand at first and unstable at times with files spread all over your computer. It was not well thought out from the beginning.

I too will miss it, but plan on using it until a day comes when it's no longer practical.

3. KimberlyHilton

KimberlyHilton Forum Member

They either shifted their resources to the latest fad (although the button-mashing concept has been around for decades), or they are possibly in serious trouble (and simply decided dump something, and not to bother with Kore any longer), or a combination of both.

Stable, trustworthy, long-term thinking, properly-managed business models don't handle issues such as NI has handled the termination of Kore software/hardware/etc... So it's not "business as usual", it's the way NI has chosen to do business.

4. york909

york909 NI Product Owner

Sure you're right - put simply, if it was more popular this wouldn't have happened. And the tangle of files that NI Installers leave all over the place probably put off some users. But it leaves a gap in the market, I reckon. Hopefully it will still be good for a couple more years at least - but I'm still dismayed to see it go.

5. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Chicken. Egg? I wouldn't have thought that many people would be put off by NI's messy installers. Most of us simply grizzled and put up with them. And a lot of folk (possibly the lucky ones) wouldn't even have been aware of the mess.

I WOULD guess that more people were aware of Kore's failings than its many virtues. I guess, in the end, too few people were prepared to invest in a system they saw as 'broken' and one which the manufacturers didn't seem overly keen to fix.

I'm hoping that Big Tick's Zen fills the gap. Although there are some issues at the moment, it looks very promising and the cloud-based database looks to be a joy to use - it's a system where all of us could make a contribution to a huge library.

6. Slow Burn Friday

Slow Burn Friday New Member

Regarding the limited time availability of Kore 2 soundpacks.

I WOULD LIKE MORE TIME! Native Instruments with all due respect stop the nonsense! This artificial deadline is Bull! (My opinion). Even if your lawyers suggest it to be the best legal, marketing and/or business strategy. I feel this rushed deadline is spiteful and hurtful. I believe you owe the people who bought your Kore 2 product and faithfully support your company more respect than that. This is not about the end of Kore 2 line but the deadline to stop selling the Kore 2 soundpacks. It is like you are basically asking us to toss Kore 2 in the trash. That you are telling us it has no more value and that we should move on. I DISAGREE. I believe in Kore 2 as an instrument and concept. I think it has fantastic value in regards to sound development and production. It has given me countless hours of blissful joy. Discontinue the Kore 2 work station but do not take away the added value of the soundpacks. That’s just mean! If you believe them to have no more value then offer them up as freeware and be done with it!

Be that as it may I do sincerely appreciate the three (3) free soundpack vouchers and discount offer on the Machine. That I have been recently laid off work this past April I will not be able to make good on the machine offer. But the fact that you made such a generous offer is one I can respect. I am not looking for sympathy, a handout or special treatment just stating a fact that I am sure a lot of your customers are dealing with too and hope you have considered that in your decision for such a short deadline. If it has come down to stopping everything Kore 2 or risk laying off employees or shutting your doors completely then I believe you have made the right decision.

As such I would greatly appreciate you holding the door open on the soundpacks indefinitely and stretch the Machine offer a bit more down the road. Just put the soundpacks on a virtual shelf as a download item at the back of your online store for Kore 2 owners. Hell farm it out or sell the rights to another company. Think positive and creatively.

My 2 cents!

7. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

Unfortunately we're unable to extend the offer due to licensing constraints. We negotiated the extension of the licenses with third parties and as much as we'd like to prolong the offer, it isn't solely at our discretion. Sorry about that.

8. kamikaz22

kamikaz22 New Member

Hi Keir,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, it's much appreciated in those hard times for Kore users...

Here is my question:

I am considering freezing my actual computer to run Kore a little longer. I bought a few kore soundpacks to maximize this setup, but I feel pretty bad I did not update my Komplete version when the summer sale was on... At the time of the summer sale, I just did not know it would be the last kore compatible version... Your timing for your announcements may be really good on a marketing side, but it's really frustrating for us, your customers, to be informed too late of your product discontinuation, right after all the sales are off and not being able to make a wise decision at the right time...

Since now I know (too late, unfortunately) that Komplete 7 is the last Komplete version to be compatible with Kore, I would really love to update my current Komplete 5 version, but now that Komplete 8 is out, is the komplete 7 update still available?

It could be really great for us (a nice good will gesture), if it could be available again for some time, especially for the Kore users, and of course now that Komplete 8 is coming and that Komplete 7 is outdated, the summer sale price would be just perfect...

What do you think about that? Is it possible?

Thanks!

9. dysamoria

dysamoria NI Product Owner

Why are you ignoring MY question?

10. mike williams

mike williams New Member

Hi Eschen,

I need to know that answer as well...as I bought the same thing...

Thanks
    Mike Williams

11. unfoundplayer

unfoundplayer NI Product Owner

Will Kore Controller Drivers Be 64-bit?

12. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i am obviously ignorant about this.

:confused:

but why do they need to be 64-bit?

sowari

13. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

Yeah, I don't think they need to be 64bit unless your operating system isn't capable of running 32 bit applications. Its still perfectly possible to run 32bit applications in 64bit Windows 7 for example. Drivers don't need access to large areas of memory

14. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i suppose to clarify, if someone is running Cubase at 64-bit and they want to use the Kore Controller to tweak some Synths in Cubase, why does the Driver have to be 64-bit?

are people saying that everything that is used on a 64-bit system have to be 64-bit?

i just don't get it.

sowari

15. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

I can only talk from experience on a PC so others need to chime in for the MAC, but I can happily run Cubase 64bit, bridging to the Kore application 32bit plugin and still use the 32bit kore drivers untouched

16. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

If you run one 32-bit driver on a Mac, all the other drivers also run in 32-bit mode. This isn't always what you want, and in the not too distant future systems might not bother with universal drivers either. But at least it works most of the time :)

Running a 32-bit plugin is different, and actually causes MORE problems at the moment due to sucky bridging in Logic :/

17. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Umm, haven't the drivers been 64-bit since 2010, maybe even 2009? I'm a PC user but we've had 64-bit driver support for a while now. Mac driver release notes for driver 2.4.18 states "64-bit kernel mode support".

18. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

I dunno, actually.

*fills head with knowledge*

A quick check of one of the two identifiable NI drivers (the other one is Guitar Rig) on my system gets me this:
    So I guess it really is 64-bit :)

But there is still the matter of it forgetting that it's plugged in, not responding to input without a reboot and numerous other defects. Plus the fact the plugin itself still is only 32-bit, causing me to run the 32-bit bridge I don't trust when using Logic. All is well in Ableton, due to them living in the past ;)

19. tabulius

tabulius New Member

Because for me Kore2 crashes a lot, with jbridge and without. I want it to be 100% compatible with my 64bit sequencer.
    ---
    Are the latest engine versions that you talk about Komplete 7 or Komplete 8? I would want to buy the new Komplete 8 but there is now official response of does Kore2 work or not. If the new Komplete doesn't work with Kore2, Either I can't buy the Komplete 8 or other choice is to throw Kore2 in the trash and don't use it anymore. Both options suck. I don't personally find any use for the Machine controller, so it would be great to use Kore2 with Komplete 8.

20. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Sure, but 64-bit drivers for the controller is entirely different than 64-bit application/plugin. I believe the drivers were the question sowari was responding to.