Announcing: Maschine Mikro MK3

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mick @ NI, Sep 6, 2018.

1. ManOfNiel

ManOfNiel New Member

Recently I acquired a Komplete Kontrol A49, and I’m super happy with the functionality. Based on that experience I also bought the Mikro MK3. My intention was – like the A49 – to use it like intended within the NI software/plugin, but also use it as a general midi controller for Logic. This functionality works perfectly with the A49. For that reason it didn’t even cross my mind to think that this might not work for the Mikro.. which it doesn’t.. specifically the transport controls. In my mind (at the risk of upsetting a lot of users here ;)) the Mikro is in essense the same device as the A49, only with square keys and a nice compact desktop format. It’s surprising to me because the A49 is a cheaper tool that offers this functionality, but the Miro doesn’t.

I guess there are some work-arounds one could apply, but not in a meaningful consumer friendly way. I'm also aware of the "MIDI mode" but it doenst offer nearly the same level of polished functionality as the cheaper A49.
    To me it seems like NI missed a step here, because I feel they will lose a lot of potential buyers that are looking for the same solution as me. I think this thing would dominate that controller segment if it only offered the functionality out of the box.

After noticing this issue I’ve found multiple lows star reviews in webstores of ppl that returned the Mikro because of this lack of functionality, even though everyone (like me) seems to love the hardware. That makes it all the more frustrating that the software seems lacking.

I’m probably shouting in the dark here, but is there any (real) intention of fixing this in the near future? Or should I (even though it would pain me) return the device?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. galactic orange

galactic orange NI Product Owner

Right. I would have bought a Micro MK3 already if it wasn’t for this fairly important omission by NI. Waiting for them to update. Until then, they don’t get my money.

• Like Like x 2
  3. peter11

peter11 New Member

Wait, the Micro mk3 isn't getting added into the controller editor?
    So if midi mode is all NI intends to offer 95% of all the capabilities are unaccessible to daw users

If you buy THE NEW Maschine micro mk3 ALL you get is THE PADS. Forget about the fancy Note Repeat that doesnt even lock like on the old one, forget about all the chord functions, pitch bend/filter on the mood pad... not even play and record work in the daw... Everithing goes out the window the second you try to use it in a daw.
    Good thing I hadn't sold the old one yet cause I'm returning this USELESS BLOCK OF CHIPS tomorrow and going back to the old micro which works seamlessly with the daw AND HAS a NOTE REPEAT LOCK, which NI just skipped on the new one?

Anyway:
    DON'T BUY IT!!
    the only thing that works are the pads. Stick with the old which is integrated with daw and can actually be used.

you'll end up returning Micro MK3 once you realise none of the fancy futures of the promo video actually work when used in daw. I promise you'll be disappointed..

4. Leif Hallberg

Leif Hallberg NI Product Owner

I've thought about returning my Mikro mk3 actually because of this but I think too much time has gone since I baught it :( But yes, I am v ery disappointed right now. I really really hope NI can fix this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. peter11

peter11 New Member

I mean u c
    ohhh buddy :(

I mean you can use it to fix a wobbly table...?
    ...it's a little pricy but hey, your beer won't be spilling no more =D

It can probably be pretty handy as a door stopper or a front porch doormat too! Now don't you worry, no one will steal it, don't know if you heard, it doesn't really do much ;)

6. Leif Hallberg

Darn... I don't have a wobbly table and I don't drink beer. What to do now? :)

7. peter11

peter11 New Member

You can throw it at things, get that frustration out haha

• Like Like x 2
  8. Leif Hallberg

Hehe, well well...

• Like Like x 1
  9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Wait, what!? CE has nothing to do with Note Repeat or Smart Play, those are Maschine software functions, they never worked in MIDI Mode, with or without Controller Editor support.

No. Those functions are indeed accessible to DAW users, you just have to route the PAD/GROUP Midi out to your DAW and set a DAW-MIDI track on it to receive that data, it's always been like this for all Maschine Controllers.

If you're confused about this and don't know how to set it up open a thread and i'll try to help you out.

I agree that releasing controllers without CE support is utterly ridiculous, especially smaller controllers that people buy with the intention of using more for DAW than for Maschine soft. It seems like every day there's a new thread about this, hopefully, by now it's clear this omission was a mistake.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Leif Hallberg

Ahaaaa... well, I have made a template in Reason (I work with Reason 10) and mapped transport btns.. BUT for example to start/stop/record/etc I have to push the btns twise. Thanks for the information D-One!

11. D-One

If the Mikro MK3 had CE & Host Transport Control you could use the transport while in Maschine Mode but it doesn't so you mapped Reason for MIDI Mode to use the transport, correct? Ok.

The transport buttons on a Mikro-MK3 seem to send one value when pressed once, then another value when pressed again, like an on/off toggle instead of a trigger, for example "Play" sends CC 57 @ 127 Velocity, and if you press again it sends the same CC with zero velocity, this confuses the DAW.
    I have no idea why NI made the fixed mapping like this, it makes no sense to me, maybe Toby @ NI can explain.

To fix it in Reason or any other DAW you have to map each button twice, so the DAW knows that the two button states/velocities trigger the same thing, I am not sure how to map two different values to the same thing in Reason though... I can try to find out.
    Just yesterday a user had the exact same issue with Logic and it was easy to fix.

:thumbsup::)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leif Hallberg

Yes that is correct, I mapped it that way. Okey, sounds good. Hope Toby can explain.

13. Leif Hallberg

BUT, I have to say that I do LOVE the pads, really good quality. Lightyears ahead of the pads on my MiniLab mk2 :)
    And I have much fun with the JAM and the Mikro mk3 combined.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Any ETA on CE integration?

I purchased Mikro MK3 with a lot of hope. I love Native Instruments as a company and I would really appreciate if Mikro MK3 is included in CE. I am very happy with Mikro MK3, but we need the transport controls working in DAW (FL Studio here) at the least to increase its use and maximize the potential.

• Like Like x 2
  15. vilon

vilon New Member

Hey,

really, why is it taking NI team so long to solve this external DAW integration problem? Does anybody have any idea? There have been hundreds of us requiring this for months already. It should be easy to implement.

@D-One: I followed your instructions on how to make Transport controls work on Reason, but transport buttons don't seem to send any signal on Midi Mode. Am I missing something? Thank you in advance.

Have a nice Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  16. youngra

youngra New Member

I actually created an account to post my rant about the MIKRO MK3. I fell in love with Maschine after buying this awesome piece of hardware but not being able to use it to its full potential inside Ableton it's a pretty big downside. I'm still able to return it but I just don't want to because I really like the pads and the whole functionality inside Maschine 2 (even tho they could add some more functionality here as well).

Their next firmware update should include everything you guys said in the previous posts, we need transport controls already mapped in MIDI Mode, we need to be able to use the scales, chords and everything inside our DAW of choice as well. I should be able to change my root note or at least lower/raise the octave inside my MIDI controller without touching Ableton at all. THIS IS POSSIBLE. It is not some fantasy stuff. They should be able to give us everything we need with a firmware update. If they really care about their customers this should be done.

On top of that, another feature request I personally have (which is of lower priority/importance) is to be able to sample directly inside Maschine MIKRO. I don't think slicing could be that hard being the fact that I can edit my start and end points of any sample inside MIKRO, all we need is another shortcut on the hardware in order to step from one slice to the other one, after that we can edit the start and end point of that specific slice.

I hope they hear us out... I hope Native Instruments will listen to its customers. Based on this last hope I won't return my product. If this won't be solved I see myself forced to sell my MIKRO MK3 and buy an A49...

Thanks and I hope I wasn't too mean.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Don't, else you will have to sell A49 later. ;)

But seriously, I hope DAW integration comes to FL Studio 20 soon. I have my eyes on A61, but if there is not much done for FL Studio support, I'm afraid, but I will have to go with Arturia KeyLab.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Freddy B

Freddy B New Member

I started out with a Maschine Jam, Loved it and decided to replace my AKAI MPD 226 drum pad with the Maschine Mikro MK3.

Disappointed to find out there is no CE support.

But on top of it, I go out and get the Komplete M32 last week, COMPLETE INTEGRATION VIA ABLETON ?!?!?!
    Why can't you patch the Mikro MK3 in a similar way and make it compatible within the DAW, MIDI mode is a quick fix for you guys but we payed good amounts for a half-assed controller? doesn't make any sense.

I am sincerely reconsidering the device. I still kept my Akai controller which works great with Ableton and other DAW's

I created an account just to post this, since NI have done F&ck all about this

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Phaz

Phaz New Member

I just bought the mikro mk3, and I'm frustated by the fact that we can't chop slice with pad at all!!! Why did you do that NI?? Why can we do that on the Maschine MK3, even with the mikro mk2 (that i owned too) and why not in the Mikro Mk3? Real mistery for me
    Toby @ NI can you give me an answer please? Or is there any update with this functionnality yet? Or a future update?
    Regards

20. D-One

What do you mean by "can't chop slice with pad" !?