Any indication or rumours on the progress of the Apple silicon compatibility?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KikkoAndMoonman, Mar 11, 2021.

1. KikkoAndMoonman

KikkoAndMoonman NI Product Owner

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had any news on the progress of NI products with Apple silicon compatibility? I feel that right now, Apple users who use a lot of NI software/hardware are stuck in this weird transitional period if they're planning on upgrading their Macs for multiple reasons.

Buying a new Intel Mac seems unwise if you're a Logic user, based on how incredibly optimised and efficient it is on the Apple chips, yet there are virtually no compatible NI plugins and such to use (this post isn't angled at criticising Native Instruments), so if you're a big Kontakt user for example, or even use the Kontrol keyboards, you have to go with Intel, which for me just seems like such a short term and unwise investment.

All in all, just hoping there's some news or developments to share regarding using all these beautiful NI products!

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

AFAIK NI is working in M1 compatibility along Big Sur. ATM with Rosetta but tools to code native apps are in place (Qt among others).
    It’s still soon to know NI strategy but the partnership with Izotope also points to improve the mobile compatibility aside new algorhythms related to vocal fx and stems creation tools with AI (which will get lots of benefeits from Neural AI technology so I expect Izotope going that route)

For hardware side NI probably will grow the M+ proposal and should be considering do the same for other products (starting with KK and maybe ending at Traktor) meanwhile (I hope) improve their iPad/iOS apps with the knowledge from Traktor Dj 2 team and Izotope mobile team.
    Also class compliant devices or dedicated mFi licenses has to be put in place to make hardware work seamless with iPad/iOS and, as time goes, macOS. Another chance is Apple openning their OS to allow third party drivers but that’s in the opposite direction of actual security strategies so we will need to wait and see.

So if you are a Logic user with Komplete (to put an example) I will wait a bit. ATM all of the actual tools are very capable and the new technologies from Apple Silicon still young. The best option will be look at the new iPad Pro coming this Q2 to see where’s really going Apple and deliver speed.

IMO we are in the critical point of long market shift started by first iPad Pro but Intel machines will be almost 3 years after the full Apple silicon transition (2022 so 2025) and by that time who knows how the world (and markets) will be.

To put an example related to Traktor... Djplayer pro has most of the features (lacks in remix decks) and subscription model of 5 years at 22€.

It’s like NI releases something HUGE or I just don’t care anymore if Traktor Pro gets a full native app on M1 (being Traktor division the most advanced in that field ATM)

Links for my claims and assumptions are disseminated over the forum and they come from public NI presentations at developers conferences to NI press releases and the same for Apple. Also some “between the lines” assumptions and business analysis (that could be totally wrong both) are involved.

I will not worry (too much) but invest wisely looking at that timeframe 2022-2025.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. Mileson

Mileson New Member

Hmmm, I didn't know about it. Thank you for telling

• Like Like x 1
  4. KikkoAndMoonman

Thank you for your detailed thoughts. In honesty the iPad isn't useful at all to my professional needs, so I guess it's just a case of waiting for NI to get all their products compatible, though it does right now make it difficult for those wanting to upgrade their Macs, as I feel that would be an unwise investment with the ARM capabilities that are being showcased.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

ATM using Rosetta NI products are gaining compatibility so there's also that path but only NI know the roadmaps and timelines...

6. KikkoAndMoonman

Certainly, but am I right in thinking that as of now, things like Kontakt can't be used with Rosetta, or is it still totally usable, just not "supported" by NI? I'm wondering whether, if I get an Apple silicon model sooner rather than later, I can use all my NI products with Rosetta until they're officially supported for native Apple silicon?

7. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

https://support.native-instruments....-Noticias-de-compatibilidad-con-Apple-Silicon

Check it in your language (it defaults to the location so that's in Spanish...)

NI is going fast in Rosetta adoption and I hope also in M1 native compatibility (now it seems the worst of the storm has passed) but you can check that and the forum sticker post to see how is going.

If your actual setup isn't broke, keep working meanwhile studying a bit the market. Step by step the water will be clear and options set in place (IMHO).

8. KikkoAndMoonman

Yeah I did see but was hoping there might be some intel people had from personal experiences. Looks like I just need to wait.

9. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Well keep the topic alive and see what others bring. In the end my opinion, it's just an opinion.

Waiting at this moment seems the less risky.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

Just wait on Intel for a year or two, everyone is slowly getting onboard with M1, I’m sure NI will be fully compatible eventually.

11. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I am not Mac user, but I have read here at the forum, that everything from NI, but Massive X, runs on M1 using Roseta. But it is not officially supported by NI.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KikkoAndMoonman

Oh really? Will need to try and find the page.

13. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  14. KikkoAndMoonman

Simply put, I need a stop-gap (whilst using my current computer as a slave) between now and 2022 when the rumoured Apple silicon Mac Pro comes out, because my current computer is really falling behind in compatibility (including with Logic which for me just can't be a thing as I use it for professional work) and more modern hardware capabilities, though it's still doing a good job. However, it's reaching a stage where it's just really lagging behind in all sorts of tech/features and it's just not appropriate to use as a primary system anymore.

15. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

Last Intel Mac mini could be such a stopgap for you. 6 core i7, 64GB Ram and 2TB SSD - that’s what I bought in 2020 to wait until M1 transition is done and everything’s settled with software companies, including NI. I am not using Logic Pro, though.

Massive X is using AVX Intel specific vector code which Rosetta can’t translate to M1 code. NI would need to rewrite the code for M1 equivalent vector framework for compatibility, even under Rosetta. It’s certainly possible, cause U-He and Synapse managed to do it for some of their plugins without sacrificing efficiency.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  16. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

It depends how much AVX is used in Massive X. If it is massively, it may not be easy to rewrite it and it may have influence on performance. We will see....

• Like Like x 2
  17. merges

merges New Member

Any updates, given that it's been almost 8 months since M1 Macs were released?

• Like Like x 1