Anyone scripting MASCHINE JAM for Bitwig?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by einfach Felix, Sep 7, 2018.

1. einfach Felix

einfach Felix NI Product Owner

Hi,
    lately I added a feature to the Bitwig script that I wanted (scrolling the browser with the encoder) and I figured there are A LOT of things that could be way better.
    choosing samples for the drum machine f.e.
    So here is my question:
    Did someone of you implement his/her own features to the maschine jam bitwig script yet and is willing to share it with the community.
    I´d volunteer in combining the features in one larger script if you´d want to.

I already implemented the following features:

-BROWSE: scrolling through presets with the encoder: shift+ turning switches between devices/presets/samples
    -choose a drumpad by pressing the corresponding key - then hit BROWSE makes it possible to choose drums entirely from the hardware.
    -SHIFT + BROWSE will create a device after the selected device
    -CLEAR + A/B/C/D/... deletes tracks and scenes now
    -CLEAR + 1/2/3/4/... deletes scenes
    -CLEAR + CONTROL delets the device thats currently selected
    -CLEAR + CLIP deletes clips like it should be. without bugs. (I hope)
    -DUPLICATE + 1/2/3/4/... duplicates scenes. (hint: shift+scene gives you an empty scene)
    -DUPLICATE works now like in the maschine application. DUPLICATE+click on clip to copy -> hold DUPLICATE+click on new clip pastes the clip.
    [this one is still buggy. if you have cleared a clip and then duplicate a new clip on top of it, it will not be visible instantly. the bug is only visually tho]
    -SELECT + CONTROL opens or closes the plugin window.
    -UI for SCENES: scene 1-8 will now be displayed in orange. 9-16 is being displayed in yellow. scene 17-24 is green etc. (so you can keep track of what scenes you are actually editing.) empty scenes will be displayed in red.

MarcTDT also added quite some nice features that extend the extension :D you can download his script here:
    https://github.com/marctdt/Bitwig_MaschineJam
    He made the following changes additional to mine:
    • Use the encoder to move the transport position. "Shift + Encoder" to move faster
    • Use "Duplicate" button as a "Ctrl + d" shortcut
    • Use "Clear" button as a "Delete" shortcut
    • "Select + browse" insert a device after the selected device
    • "Shift + browse" insert a device before the selected device
    • Modify the browsing behaviour. (I don't use arrow keys input to browse. the keyboard can remain focused in the search field)
    • Browse mode: "Shift + encoder" to move faster
    • Browse mode : use the dpad to change the filter. (Unfortuately I didn't find a way to show which column we are focused on)
    • Press "Select + Song" to switch to Edit Mode
    • Replace the keyboard to an isomorphic layout. Not tested thoroughly
    • If "Shift" is pressed alone, it will remain turned on. (You can then "Undo" with one hand :) )
    • Transport Behaviour Change - Play works like pressing Space Bar now

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bluck

Bluck New Member

I made more modifications to the original script, they can be viewed here :

Before i share the code to gitHub, i want to be sure that NI allow it.
    Ill be happy if a NI staff member answer this simple question : can i share my mod of the original script to gitHub ?

3. einfach Felix

you're not selling it and you modified it. so you can probably share it. but i guess you'd have to ask the bitwig guys if you can share it anyways, because they probably have the license for it.
    i like your addition a lot btw!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

NI should buy Bitwig.

5. einfach Felix

other way round please :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Sadly Bitwig doesn’t have enough money...

7. einfach Felix

did you ever upload it ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. einfach Felix

yo I made some further changes. I got a lot to do atm... so this one is really hacky - if anyone can do it better please consider doing so :D
    I wanted to be ablte to choose drum sounds without using the mouse and it is possible!
    now you can just press a button in the drumpad view and then hit browse - like in maschine :) choose the sample with the encoder and the new sound should be loaded.
    Anyways there are a few limitations:
    - you need to have a sound loaded in previously. this means you cant load sounds in a blank drumpad with this script. To avoid this simply save a Drumpad with some basic samples as default preset.
    - the device gets selected so that you can change it, but I currently dont know how to add further fx to the selected device by scripting :( so if anyone could help ?

9. einfach Felix

added some more features. you can now delete scenes and tracks.
    did someone of you already test the script ?

10. fwsuperhero

fwsuperhero New Member

Hello Felix, it is amazing.
    I am going through Bitwig Maschine Jam original script for two days and it is complicated. I am not able to modify anything. I hope that i will understand the script better if I compare original one with yours. It is great that you have added these possibilities, i am couris if the macro is responsive now as the touch strips werent working properly sometimes in bitwig 2.4 for instrument macros.

Do you have some tips how to understand the script better? And i know javascript as a language, i dont know it universe. I use VS Code but there is no intellisense on classes and bitwig methods...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. fwsuperhero

fwsuperhero New Member

Btw I have asked NI before, they wont upgrade this script officialy so i told them that i will try to modify it. They didnt wrote me that i shouldnt so... I think that it is ok..

Ok, your script is great and i have no need to create my own, thank you :)
    But it is unusable for me right now: When i create the clip i can not insert the notes in the step mode. It works with the official jam script.

The another bugs: the reactivness of the instrument´s macros is still horrible.
    And the another bug is that when you create the clip and then delete it it is still lighted button on the maschine :(
    And the next one: I cant use keyboard in browser so no searching for me...

But thank you

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  12. einfach Felix

yeah i know about the bugs, but since nobody wrote anything, i thought nobody really cared about a script for bitwig xD
    i know how to fix the bugs (that i programmed) but atm i have no time to fix them :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. fwsuperhero

fwsuperhero New Member

Aah, I am trying to figure out what to change in padmode.js and stepmode.js to make it works again but i am not sucessfull yet :(

14. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

JAM bitwig user here! Very interested on this! Thanks for spending the time.Did you manage to develop this further?

15. muitosabao

Can you please share, buck? shift+track to open VST is my most wanted feature! well done.

16. einfach Felix

yes. I just uploaded the new version (v4). I just fixed some bugs in this version ... but opening/closing the plugin window is also a feature that I want. It would be easier if bluck shared his script - but I guess if he doesn´t I could try to also implement that feature.

17. muitosabao

Thanks for this! Yeah, you should join forces. Unfortunately I don't know how to program javascript, so not much I can help with.

18. einfach Felix

np. just realized there was another bug in the script - i reuploaded a fixed version of v4
    It would be nice of you (and all the others who use the script) to tell me about the bugs.. sometimes it takes some time to find them....

19. muitosabao

When i get home tonight i'll give it a shot.

20. einfach Felix

thanks! btw. i implemented opening/closing the window :) you can hit SELECT+CONTROL to toggle the window of the plugin thats currently selected.

• Like Like x 2