1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Are you kidding me, MK3 isn’t compatible with Komplete Kontrol?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Chris Laupama, Jul 1, 2019.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No. When more than 1 keyboard are active the Icon only shows the Keyboard currently in Focus, to change the focus thru software you have to go Menu > Controller > Controler Name. It's fast thru the Hardware though, just press the Plug-In button on either keyboard and it changes the focus.

If you need multiple midi templates then forget the m32. I think you can use CC's that use only the specific MIDI port that the keyboard uses though, or use different channels, I am not a Logic user to confirm though.

From my experience, even the cheapest of the cheap midi controllers have a way to do custom mapping, even multiple easy to load templates, I am not sure NI is interested in adding that for their new-smaller dedicated controllers, the Mikro MK3 has been out for a while and still no Controller Editor Support. :(

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BlakStatus

BlakStatus NI Product Owner

Yeah, that kills it for me. One of my midi keyboards is the S25 but it's not portable at all imo. If we basically need to look at the monitor all the time, what are the positives of the M32 vs another similar sized midi keyboard?

3. D-One

The positive is it's a dedicated Komplete Kontrol keyboard that works out of the box with the software... 8 Auto Mapped Knobs, several pages, Arps, Scales, Chords, etc... The instruments it comes with and possible crossgrades/upgrades of Komplete are also a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I'm not sure why you would need to use KK with the Maschine software. I've never used it, but I'm also still a fairly new user. I just recently installed it, and I was surprised how much it looks like the Maschine software.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Oh, if I can switch by pressing one button on the hardware, that's no problem at all then.

I just tested the MIDI support in KK (for now I assigned some of the knobs on my System-8). Looks good. I see it's possible to assign buttons for switching pages, and it even has a "pickup" mode for the knobs. It seems I can only access the MIDI configuration when my S49 is powered off. After setting those up, they continue to work even after turning the S49 back on. Wondering why the setup is made inaccessible when a KK keyboard is present. Anyway, this looks like it should work reasonably well with Maschine in MIDI mode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

You might not need it at all, depends... It's meant for DAW's, if you use those it can be more useful, or even inside Maschine since it has more "keys" for keyboard mode, samples with more than 16 slices, etc. Some people are also more comfortable playing certain things in regular keys other than pads. "Owning Maschine" is relative, if you had, for example, a Mikro the keyboard can offer the 8 knobs automapped for all Maschine controls similar to how the bigger models have... The Bigger KK Keyboards have light guides for many instruments, stuff like keyswitches, or each drum hit at a different color for Drum Instruments, etc.. quite useful, there are probably more reasons, those are just some.

Not sure why either, people have questioned this a lot... I think it was just an oversight and will eventually be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The BEAT PiRATE

The BEAT PiRATE NI Product Owner

Whats crazy to me is.. How you can use Kontrol with out doing any extras to utilize Control Keyboard. I only open Komplete Kontrol too make sure database is created after an update before I use Maschine. But when you get to the DAW....Kontrol Keyboard act like it and Maschine don't come from the household. You have to treat them as separate hardwares. When I used both effortlessly to create in Maschine 2. Hate it more when I'm in Protools tracking out of Maschine Plug-in....AND my Kontrol Keyboard is lighting up from playback but when I hit the key, Nothing Happens. Obviously their is a MIDI OUT/THRU happening from Maschine plug-in to Kontrol hardware (MIDI NOTE playback,to Kontrol key) but No MIDI Key,to Note playback. Seems crazy to have a little MIDI Control and MIDI DATA between to major companions. Because of PRO TOOLS.

8. D-One

Can't say I ever experienced such an issue, is that a Pro Tool specific problem?

9. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Don't think so, I had the same problem first time I was setting up to use SO1. It sounds like they don't have the midi input of the DAW mapped to the Keyboard, and it's only mapped to the MK3. I may not be understanding the issue, so excuse me if I got it wrong. It also sounds like they possibly may not have the Maschine software midi output configured to the right DAW midi input?

10. The BEAT PiRATE

Maschine midi isn't necessary as plugin in protools. Example, maschine hardware can not trigger Midi from another Vst in DAW. d-one I guess so. Because other DAW with Kontrol you can control the DAW with Kontrol hardware, the plugin itself operates NI plugins. Since Kontrol is an controller not a beat machine/workstation it can Midi control anything Midi. I thought if I have NI products they should interact no matter the Host. To be simple, when Mk Vst is loaded in protools Kontrol does not link to MK session but too Protools as Midi controller until KK is open Vst. Then KK can be loaded with ever, but Smart Play etc. features don't lock to already MK session and are only individual to track/plugin. Maschine midi is routed from Vst to Host not inside host with Protools

11. D-One

If it's necessary or not will depend on the user, most people dont need it, I do and would totally get rid of Maschine if it couldn't trigger my DAW's instruments from the HW/SW.
    It's totally possible in Ableton, Cubase, Bitwig, Reaper, and all other DAW's I have tried expect for Logic, I find hard to believe it wouldn't work the same way in Pro Tools which is considered the "Pro" DAW.

KK operates any VST/AU plugin, regardless of vendor.
    The only difference between KK and Maschine in that regard is that since KK is designed for only one instrument it's simpler and doesn't require manually setting things up and routing MIDI as Maschine does. (Even tho we can complicate with KK if we want, to print out MIDI Smart Play, Chords, Arps, etc...)
    The Host will always have some influence on what can be done, not all have the same features.

I have a demo of PT still active since I installed to help some guy out so I tried it (note I am an absolute noob with Pro Tools).
    1. I created an Instrument Track with Maschine loaded and set Pad-1 to output MIDI to Host.
    2. Created an empty MIDI track and set it to receive MIDI from the Maschine Plugin.
    3. Created another instrument track with a random instrument (Massive X is the only AXX plug I have) and set it to receive MIDI from the track in step2.
    Works fine, pressing the Pad triggers the MIDI in the instrument track, so... Maschine HW can indeed trigger a PT track containing another plugin just like most other DAW's.
    Step 2 can be avoided in some DAW's, not sure if it's possible in PT since I am not really a user.

I attached the PT project just in case anyone needs help with this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  12. The BEAT PiRATE

Yeah, you have to create Inst. Track and load maschine. Only in MIDI mode on Maschine you can directly MIDI Protools and Maschine. Yes the Host has influence, but also Pro Tools is the only DAW out your examples that doesn't/or has not been implemented to work DAW/HOST the same way. KK was made as Plugin not DAW/Host or Solid Stand alone. Like Maschine Hardware/Software. So yeah a MK3 or Maschine user won't need it, if someone wants a FANCY "Controller". That's why NI made MK/JAM/Maschine users KK Our "Controller". My issue is Why Can KK only work perfectly with Maschine Hardware in Stand alone? And not Plugin why does DAW take control?

13. D-One

That's incorrect. I didn't use MIDI mode at all and it worked fine, did load the project and tried it?

14. The BEAT PiRATE

D, I don't know where the "MIDI" topic came from. KK keyboard does not work the same way in Maschine stand alone when used as plugin. Show me, where KK keyboard is used in Maschine to play anything when Maschine is used as PLUGIN in Protools, you have to use KK as plugin period, even if you already have a Kontakt plugin in a DAW you must open a KK plugin to use it to control instrument. (But you maybe can if KK MIDI is setup, then SMART PLAY is still not Universal and maintained thru whole Session).
    I know about MIDI and run MIDI to rec in Protools simply by MIDI setup from individual sounds to MIDI input into MIDI tracks in Protools. I never use MIDI mode on Maschine since Micro Gen1.
    Plus in an update of Maschine Software, they added a feature that saved MIDI routing when using Maschine plugin (not MIDI mode) because of lack of Protools MIDI integration. In beginning maschine mIDI setting was not recalled when using as plugin in protools. I had made a Maschine session and in settings of Maschine select it to open auto when plug-in mode to keep my Midi routes until update.

15. AndriusDK

AndriusDK NI Product Owner

If you are asking about if Smart Play on KK is functional when Maschine is in VST mode then no i does not it will be grayed out. In Ableton at least I need to make a different track with KK loaded and rout MIDI in to Maschine VST separately.

16. The BEAT PiRATE

Stop changing subject. This thread is to encourage full integration of NI products and Software no matter the realm.
    Subject: Kontrol keyboard does not work in Maschine plugin as it does when in stand alone. When in Protools I can not use my KK the same as when In Maschine stand alone.

17. D-One

I was just asking myself the same question actually hehe, it was because in post #30 you said: "Example, maschine hardware can not trigger Midi from another Vst in DAW" and it can.
    I didn't reply to argue, just to inform you and anyone else reading, I always quote users to avoid miss understandings.
    KK can be used with Maschine plugin, however, smart-play won't work, that's true for all DAW's afaik, as far as "why" I have a rough idea but sharing it won't help with anything.
    Well, KK is designed to be used with the KK software so it goes without saying one has to load the KK plugin in DAW, none of my previous posts were about this though, just that first thing you said in post #30.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The BEAT PiRATE

Plus this make sense to be a problem because when using KK in Maschine stand alone, if you have a Kontakt instruments open the Kontakt scale/chord is master and when you in scale mode on KK it just makes notes/sounds on Kontakt Keyboard not playable

19. The BEAT PiRATE

Ye
    I feel you, I was just meaning in plug-in mode. Let long it prob can in plug-in you better expert. Ppl not aware of the past and future read little to hard or soft. But if you have time to find solution or build on this let me know.

20. The BEAT PiRATE

No argue or stress I respect your input highly. I just knew when you said that ppl messsed up the frequency. And you didn't know my reason for thread