1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Assigning to multiple outputs

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Har, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Har

Har New Member

I've got a question concerning how to assign groups to individual outputs in Kontakt; I'm trying to test the outputs using the latest v4.0 beta version of the FXpansion DX-VST adapter in SONAR2XL which allows for DXi2-style multiple outputs (whilst waiting for Kontakt's DXi2 version to come out), but even though I *think* I'm doing the right things...the output assignments don't seem to work.

Here's what I'm doing...am I going about this the right way, or...?

* For this eample I'll use the Real Drum Kit 1 Instrument that ships with Kontakt.

* In the Instrument Header, I set the Audio Output Channel to "Group", which then opens up the Output assignment in the Amplifier section.

* Click the "Group Editor" button to open up that area, and "Mapping Editor" as well.

* There are three groups available to select: "BD10X01" (bassdrum), "SD10X02" (snares), and "HH10X25" (hihats, etc).

* For starters, I select the snares (SD10X02)....the display in the Mappintg Editor shows all the snares highlighted in yellow....so far so good.

* Drop down to the "Amplifier" section and select an output channel.

* Repeat this for the other two groups (bass drums and hihats).

...but: the output channel displayed in the "Amplifier" section always remains "stuck" with the last one selected, and ALL audio seems to continue heading out whichever this one is set to!

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this perhaps a bug?

Has anyone successfully managed to get this to work with Kontakt in SONAR2 using the v4 betas of the FXpansion adapter...?

Thanks!
    --Har

2. bduffy

bduffy NI Product Owner

Some people on the forum have said they can get multiple outs with FXpansion/Directixer, but I found that Kontakt never got multiple outs when I tried using a wrapper. I think this is a limitation of Kontakt being written for DXi 1, which was a very simple and limited virtual instrument implementation.

I'm just going to wait for the version 2 Kontakt update. I didn't spend all that money to have my sampler work through a wrapper, I don't trust that enough.

3. ronny priest

ronny priest Forum Member

i wasn't able to find any specs about the dx-vst wrapper. are you sure the wrapper itself supports multiple outs?

you might scream now, but since i never touched sonar so far... doesn't sonar support the vst standard? just wondering,

ronny

4. bduffy

bduffy NI Product Owner

Ronny:

Hey, I just replied to another post from you! Ha ha!

About the DX-VST Wrapper; I haven't experienced any multiple outs when using it with VST Plug-ins that normally do have mutliple outs. I was just saying that I have read posts from people that say;

a) They can only get Kontakt working with SONAR by using the Wrapper,and
    b) They can get multiple outs.

I found that using the DX-VST didn't help the SONAR bugs at all, or create the option for multiple outs, so I don't use it.

Sonar does NOT by any means support the VST standard. Cakewalk and Steinberg are in fierce competition for the audio market, and the DX-VST wrappers are the only means of cross-platforming.

thanks

PS: Do all moderators work for NI?

5. ronny priest

ronny priest Forum Member

Thanks for the Info!

No, at least not the ones from the Kontakt Forum.

Cheers,
    Ronny

6. bduffy

bduffy NI Product Owner

Right, I thought moderators were employees of whomever hosts the Forums.

Silly me,
    Bye!

7. Har

Har New Member

FYI: the 4.0 version of the FXpansion adapter (currenly in the final phases of beta and almost at release) DOES feature multiple outputs, and works very well with other VSTi's such as pHATmatik Pro that has multiple outs. This is the version of the adapter I'm trying Kontakt out with, and the adapter *itself* is having no problems recognizing Kontakt's individual outputs.

And bduffy is correct: SONAR is DXi/DXi2 only...you have to use a wrapper/adapter to use VST at all.
    BTW: the quality of the wrappers these days is very good...it's really no longer an issue of "trusting" them to work well enough anymore. :)

But the point I was making was: I *don't* think the wrapper/adapter has anything to do with this problem!

Reason being: even when I use the stand-alone version of Kontakt (with no host app or wrapper/adapter), I STILL cannot get the output channel selector list to "stick" when I try to assign it to different groups...as I originally described at the top of the thread.

To try to clarify:

* I try to assign a group "A" to a specific output channel "X"

* then select *another* group, "B", assign that one to a *different* output channel, "Z"

* then I go back the first one I selected, and then the problem: the first one ("A") is now showing itself assigned to the second output channel I had just assigned to the second group ("Z"), and no longer with the one I originally tried to assign it to ("X")...!

This leads me to believe this is a bug with Kontakt itself...

8. bduffy

bduffy NI Product Owner

I haven't tried this yet, I still wrestle with the way Kontakt uses groups, I find it kinda bitchy and I'm not certain that groups are working smoothly yet; I'll select a group, and even with "EDIT ALL" de-selected, parameter changes will apply to ALL groups. I have to go back up, click EDIT ALL on and off again, THEN I can edit a group on its own.

I'll mess around and try to do what you're doing, see what happens. I'll have to try that in VST mode, cannot in SONAR :(

Har: I realize that the Wrappers are well-made, but I just don't know what's going on in the background; Kontakt is doing its impeccable, 32-bit math on the samples..what's being done to that math when it is being routed through a third-party application? Probably nothing, but it's just a concern of mine.

9. Har

Har New Member

Yep, that sounds EXACTLY like what I'm talking about! It seems like it's not possible to give groups thir own individual output channels...I'll give that thing with EDIT ALL a try when I get home. Thanks for the tip! :)

I understand the concern...I used to be kinda skiddish about such things myself. :) But so far from what I can see, the FXpansion adapter is handling all Kontakt functionality just fine, with no audio degradation at all (at least audibly, anyway).

But I agree, though: I'll be much happier when the DXi2 version of Kontakt comes out...one less layer in there to worry about. :)

10. bduffy

bduffy NI Product Owner

Well, there ya go. Let me know how that works! I wonder if anyone else has caught this EDIT ALL problem, or if NI is aware of it?

Yep..DXi2..the Holy Grail; We all await anxiously...

Good Luck, Har.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.