1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Audio 8 Real time inputs? mic & line

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR Audio Interfaces' started by simplysounds, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simplysounds

simplysounds NI Product Owner

my question is this,

1: can the mic input be used for PA use when the soundcard is connected to T3? for example i'm playing a set and want to make announcements, or is it just for software recording.

2: is the headphone out assignable to 'monitor out' on T3? for example i press 'headphone cue' on T3 and does it come out of the headphone out? or is it just for overall master listening?

3: can line inputs for ipod/cd player be used in real time? for example i haven't got a dedicated mixer but i want to use a cd player that will be connected to a line in and then routed to a master output or are the inputs for software/recording/timecode applications?

at the moment i have a terratec phase 26 usb soundcard which has simalar connections but you can't use it for PA annoucements by connecting a mic.

if the Audio 8 does this then i wouldn't have to use a mixer for small mobile gigs. i use the Vestax VCI for mixing with traktor but i then have to have a mixer for connecting amic.

any info would be of help

many thanks

nigel

2. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Yes - you have to take care of both input routing *and* set the deck you choose in input routing to external when you want to use it.

Yes. You have to assign 7/8 to Monitor.

Yes - same as the microphone above.

From the pictures I found the phase 26 should be able to do the same thing (input routing/external deck) as the A8 if its drivers are similar.

3. simplysounds

many thanks, the only part of that i understood was the headphone out part as i can guess this is within the t3 audio routing preferences. maybe i'm missing something but i can't get my head around the mic and line routing controls.

i understand that this unit doesn't have a software mixer application with it and i can't work out how i can have t3, a live mic and a line input all working back through 1 set of stereo outputs to my active speakers or soundsystem?

i guess i'm asking if the routing proccess is like a mixer, and if so how does it work?

can you expand on how this is possible?

the phase 26 card i have does not do this despite having seperate mic/line in.

thanks for your reply but i'ts another big purchase that i can't afford to get wrong. it would be handy if it did work this way as then i wouldn't have to take a mixer to small mobile gigs.

many thanks so far

nigel

4. AudioRapture

1) You have to use internal mixer mode for the desired single stereo output.

2) Input Routing: route the Mic (In 5/6) to Deck C, route line (In 7/8) to Deck D.

3) Internal/External Deck: If you need the Mic, switch Deck C to external. If you need line, switch Deck D to external.

5. simplysounds

many thanks,

i take it this is all setup within the 'audio preferences' internal routing in t3?

i think i might invest in one as the outputs i use for headphones on my terratec card are only at line level and are not that loud when the noise gets up.

i guess the headphone out is a good dj friendly level?

cheers

nigel

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/simplysounds

6. AudioRapture

The Input Routing is done in the preferences. The Internal/External switch is done with the Deck panel.

The output is nice and loud. But it also depends a bit on the headphones used.

7. simplysounds

hi, got my audio 8 today but it doesn't do what i need it to do.

yes you can use mic/line inputs but you also need everything set to external mode. this means you need a mixer which defeats the object. this is what i was trying to avoid. i was hoping that the mic would be routed to line 1/2 master outputs on the card using internal mode.

i'm either doing something wrong or the unit doesn't work this way (which is what i suspected). this card does nothing more than any other multi in/out card i have had.

at least the sound is good and the headphone output is loud.

8. AudioRapture

What is your input/output routing set to? (screenshot)

You *don't* need an external mixer for this.

9. simplysounds

outputs: monitor set to 7/8 master set to 1/2 (mixer = internal mode)

inputs set to: in (c) 5/6 and (d) 7/8 (mic)

you can see signals coming in but nothing out of master 1/2 except traktor playback audio from decks a & b.

10. AudioRapture

Exactly. The only thing left is to set Deck C/D to "external" if you want to use the line-in/Mic, respectively.

Read section 9.3 of the manual (it also applies to Playback, not just recording)

11. simplysounds

set deck c to external mode with rec input to 5/6 (mic).

you can see the levels on audio recorder but no audio output through to the master channels 1/2. the only way i can output mic audio is to change the output routing of channel 'c' (inputs 5/6) to 1/2 outputs, then you get audio but you are then robbing deck a & b of channels 1/2.

any more suggestions?

12. AudioRapture

Are C&D visible in the layout? Otherwise they are muted.

Channel volume up? Any crossfader assignment for C&D?

13. simplysounds

c&d are visable on the main layout. volumes are both up full. no crossfader assignment (but set in the middle by default).

have you actually had it working where decks A & B and the mic are all coming out of the main (1/2) outputs?

14. AudioRapture

Just to double-check that I am not accidently talking out of my ass, I borrowed my neighbor's microphone and set things up exactly as I described.
    And sure enough, I get the mic out of both master (in my case 3/4) and monitor (7/8) outputs.

You're missing *something*, still.

Can you provide screenshots of Input Routing, and the maximized C&D mixer&channel faders?

15. simplysounds

16. AudioRapture

Sorry, I am *not* going to register at that site just to view some screenshots.

Yet again, here are the settings:
    Soundcard: Audio 8 DJ
    Output Routing:
    -Mixer Mode: Internal
    -Monitor: 7/8
    -Master: 3/4
    Input Routing:
    -In Channel C: 5/6
    -In Channel D: 7/8

Deck Channel Assignment for C&D:
    Above Channel Faders: "CH: External"
    or
    Channel panel: "Ext" active

On the Audio 8: "Ch. C" input selector (front) set to Mic.

Refer to screenshot

Attached Files:

17. simplysounds

apologies i didn't know how to post a screenshot and i didn't know you had to register to view the photos.

thanks again for the settings. one setting that wasn't mentioned before was the channel 'c' external setting on the deck 'c' fader. my deck 'c' & 'd' were set to minimized layout. once i maximized them i could see the int/ext setting above the fader.

i guess it's a case of knowing the lesser known parts of T3 that aren't too aparent on the basic interface views.

many thanks for all your time. i can confirm it all works.

i can now have T3 palying, the mic working and stuff like windows media player and itunes all playing out of the same master 1/2 outputs. i'm not sure what it will sound like on my mobile rig but it sounds ok through my home setup and it means i can emulate a larger setup with nothing more than what i have in my laptop bag (dell xps 1210 - 12.1" laptop, audio 8, mic, sony mdr700 headphones and the vestax vci-100)

many many many thanks for your help.

nigel

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/simplysounds

18. AudioRapture

Honestly, your reading comprehension seems to have room for improvement - I mentioned this *4* times:

19. simplysounds

thanks again, but when your fairly new to T3 some things get overlooked and there's no need to be rude.

if you had mentioned that deck c & d need to be expanded in order to view the int/ext settings above the fader then that is different.

my understanding of this forum is to try and help each other whatever your technical understanding and experience may be. if we all had your ability there would be no need for this forum as we would all know it all already.

*thanks again for your help. i'm now going to enroll to a special needs school to try and improve my reading skills.*

20. AudioRapture

See, you don't *need* to expand/maximize C&D - that's why I mentioned the Deck panel. A simple "what's the Deck panel?" or "how exactly do I do that with the Deck panel?" could have sped things along.
    If only for the reason that I would have realized that it is the *Channel* panel that I meant. ::face-palm::

It might be rude to point out that being unfamiliar with a a product's features and engaging one's brain are not mutually exclusive - but I'll take that path any time I see it having a chance of future benefit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.