1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Audio and Realtime Time-Stretching in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Florian G @ NI, Jan 6, 2017.

1. pek

pek NI Product Owner

Thanks for the reply! All good news for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Firstly i must say it's inspiring to see you NI guys hanging out here and revealing information on what it seems a more regular basis..kudos for that.
    I signed up for beta-test for other reasons than this but now i really want to participate..
    I think audio and realtime timestretch in a unit like Maschine and how most users approach Maschine, should be considered necessary. Approaching this from a live played instrument perspective, at least for me while recording and creating, RT timestretch is not really necessary as the tempo is mostly set at the beginning.

The biggest thing for me with Maschine is that it invites you to work fast with less things to distract and more often than not it's only a press of a button away. Having audio in Maschine would be very inspiring and highly instantaneous and i probably would have at least one Mic connected all the time.. For me it's also a more direct feel and pleasing to the eye to have audio visible in the track instead of a sampler

• Like Like x 1
  3. daslicht

daslicht NI Product Owner

Another awesome feature would be the ability to trigger scenes and transpose them by playing keys (as it is possible with AIR Transfuser)
    And than sequence those extra playable clips
    Guys who use a DAW to host Maschine would love that either I guess.
    That in combination with realtimestrech/slices would be awesome and would enable use to reuse sequences at different tempi.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Miraculous

Miraculous NI Product Owner

This sounds like music to my ears;).
    Looking forward to all these updates, better yet upgrades. I still do the bulk of the arrangement in Pro Tools but I'd rather stay within the Maschine environment as long as possible and export to my DAW at a later stage (or not at all in the future?).

5. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Cant wait for this!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daschine

Daschine NI Product Owner

Will the audio tracks be able to break the scene structure in a linear way - meaning you can sing on top of an arrangement containing multiple scenes ??

7. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

I think eventually, according to this

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daschine

Daschine NI Product Owner

Thanks lethal_pizzle :)

9. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Nice, lethal_pizzle. Future looking bright for my favorite production tool!

10. Bobby L'Avenir

Bobby L'Avenir New Member

Hi Florian,

I was just about to pre order the MPC X and leave Maschine altogether until i saw your post, realtime stretch is the only reason i'm looking at the mpc as it's something i've requested many times for maschine since 2009/2010 and the only reason Bitwig and Ableton is installed on my system. Akai got there first but i'm interested in seeing what NI will bring before i buy anything. However i really need to know if you're going to address some issues i've reported many many times before i could entertain buying any more maschine software after investing badly in V2.
    Hope you don't mind me asking all my questions in this thread, i did mail support but they told me to post on the forum instead.

so my questions are as follows;

1) will you be making maschine 2 capable of browsing large sample libraries as fast and snappy as 1.8 in the next major update you're currently working on? There should be no limits to how many samples this product can browse quickly, 1.8 had no such issues, see my thread
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...2-browser-1-8-is-much-quicker-clearer.314084/

2) will you be adding a browser auto scroll to eliminate what i show you in the gif video? ( no point having a controller if i need to go back to the mouse to see my sounds and samples)

3) will you add an option on the Mk1 & Mk2 hardware to flip between the mixer and arranger view?

4) with the realtime timestretch will you be making it like bitwig/ableton in that you can auto browse loops warped to the project tempo before committing to them?

5) if so could you add a browser preview tune function, only reaper has this, it's very useful as sometimes you have the right loop but it just needs pitching to match the key, be nice to try it pitched to see if it works from the browser preview before committing to a pad/clip slot)

6) with the realtime timestretch will you be making it like clips in bitwig/ableton in that you can move the start and end times in fixed quantised positions or move the start and end time in one go like bitwig and ableton can. (see this gif hosted on dropbox for more clarity on what i mean)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32491866/bitwig clip play back.gif

7) can we get some better audio editing tools and a right click pop up tool bar like cubase, pro tools, logic and studio one have? proper fade handles and tools like you expect to see in a daw is what i mean here. With proper realtime time stretch and editing tools many people will be able to remove ableton or bitwig from their system :)

8) will you be updating the sample stacking options as it's a bit long winded at the moment? Also it would be nice to be able to edit samples in the zone mode without flipping back and forth just to make cuts or fades

9) will you be considering a re-sizeable gui in vst mode? Either this or a button to go full screen in vst mode is really needed

10) will the new sequencer features include better zoom options? The MPC software does this very well

11) will the new sequencer features include better piano roll options?

Hopefully you can answer some if not all of my questions, there's a big hole the maschine could fill if you implement this right. Best of a solid linear mixdown/editing daw (cubase, pro-tools, logic, studio 1, reaper, sonar) with real-time time-stretch, non linear playback, hardware control with drag and drop audio and midi, vst hosting, midi outputs :)
    Nobody else is offering this, bitwig is close but the editing sucks compared to Cubase, logic or pro-tools, ableton can't work with push in rewire mode, please get this right NI.

Thanks,

Bobby

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dessicant

Dessicant NI Product Owner

Brilliant news. This will keep me as a happy and paying customer. Sequencing and audio would make this platform a wrecking ball!

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Is this out for beta-testing yet?

13. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

I'm currently in the beta. I downloaded the so-called new beta version of the Maschine software. I see no new features. I emailed technical support and so far have no response in 7 days.

14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

This is not the place for beta discussion or tech support, use Centercode.

15. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

I know that. I'm just reporting on the fact that there is no tech support.

16. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

The tech support for the test versions is also through Centercode though, not by contacting tech support. Start a thread about your issue(s) there and you will get assistance. :)

17. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

dang seems like it would be way more helpful if the real time stretching arrived directly in Maschines sampler first rather then then in audio tracks which is still something entirely new.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I agree completely. If done well, it could even alleviate a lot of the need for separate/distinct "audio tracks".

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Hm no, thinking just draging in loops in tracks would be most direct and fun. Like Octatrack, or akai live(seem to work).

20. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

It could easily be made to work like that too, on Sound level, thinking of the Sounds as tracks and so allowing up to 16 per Group and mixing with other sound sources.